Weekend Mods: Winch & License Plate Relocation - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Weekend Mods: Winch & License Plate Relocation

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-13-2010, 03:00 PM   #1
DeepSky
2007 JK Wrangler 

Weekend Mods: Winch & License Plate Relocation

Had a great Friday-Saturday finishing up installing some stuff on the Jeep and figured I'd share.

First was the license plate relocation. I used the "universal" bracket from Rock Hard 4x4. Despite its universality I still had to cut sections of the metal base around the lower mount holes to get it to line up with my tire carrier's lugs.

Instead of spending $40 bucks for their PlateLITE led illumination kit I went to WalMart and got a universal light for $4 bucks: Light After removing the bulb it came with I made some small cuts on the inside of it and was able to fit the factory bulb and base inside the housing. I then sanded and bedlined it.

Then I moved onto the winch. I couldn't believe how simple it was to install. Of all of the mods I've done and broken parts I've replaced this was probably in the top three as far as ease and time it took.

The most time consuming part was wrapping the 2ga wires in the conduit and taping the wires together as they come out of the winch. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet actually pulling something but I definitely have the itch too.

Unread 03-13-2010, 03:24 PM   #2
mattman8706
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

cool.

where did you get the plastic cover thing that covers the hole where the old license plate bracket was?

My Build Thread
JK Tech
mattman8706 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2010, 03:29 PM   #3
dvdsjk
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

WOW! Nice job. I want to do the same thing with my plate and even maybe relocate the third brake light.
dvdsjk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2010, 03:38 PM   #4
dvdsjk
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Question, you have a sticker or reflector next to the mopar liscence plate delete blank. Is that another hole you had to cover or just decoration.
dvdsjk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2010, 04:02 PM   #5
ribs
2007 JK Wrangler 

Looks great. What is the red part on the winch line?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryGrant View Post
...And no the truck dont give BJs but guess you are not married as wifes dont give them either. :rolleyes:
ribs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2010, 04:52 PM   #6
DeepSky
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman8706 View Post
cool.

where did you get the plastic cover thing that covers the hole where the old license plate bracket was?
DANJEEPO8 pointed me to this page on JustForJeeps.com: Rear License Plate Deletion Panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdsjk View Post
Question, you have a sticker or reflector next to the mopar liscence plate delete blank. Is that another hole you had to cover or just decoration.
Ugh...well, yeah it is to cover some holes but no ones that are there from the factory. The only holes normally left after removing the license plate bracket are the one you fill with the Mopar plug, and the two screw holes at the bottom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribs View Post
Looks great. What is the red part on the winch line?
It indicates the last 10ft of wire rope at this end. It's also color coded in the same manner at the other end.
Unread 03-13-2010, 05:00 PM   #7
4x4jkx
2012 JK Wrangler 

Is you're stock license plate holder still in one piece? Can I have it if it is?
4x4jkx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2010, 07:27 PM   #8
Grant211
2007 JK Wrangler 

bada$$... i really like the front bumper
Unread 03-13-2010, 08:23 PM   #9
TRPLXL2

Wow your JEEP is awesome, and I love the Mickey Thompson tires! I have a couple newbie questions for you.

1. Did you have to upgrade the alternator to run the winch?
2. Are you running dual batteries?

Thanks for any info you can give, this is all new to me except the wiring part.
TRPLXL2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2010, 05:17 AM   #10
richnev
2012 JK Wrangler 

love the license plate relocation bracket, but just one question how does it attach? is there another peice that goes behind the wheel?

ARMY TEAM MEMBER #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ge2 View Post
I just make a BOOP BEEP sound with my mouth (really loud) as I walk away from the jeep, and point the key at it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by her94yj View Post
lets put it a way a kids will relate......its like a hooker.......... SURE a 15 dollar handy from a detroit toothless 60 year old can get it done....... but NO where is it as nice as the $5000 an hour goddess from vegas or hollywood

....... dont be that fat guy on the beach in the speedo you dont want to be "that guy"
richnev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2010, 07:59 AM   #11
DeepSky
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRPLXL2 View Post
Wow your JEEP is awesome, and I love the Mickey Thompson tires! I have a couple newbie questions for you.

1. Did you have to upgrade the alternator to run the winch?
2. Are you running dual batteries?

Thanks for any info you can give, this is all new to me except the wiring part.
Thanks for the compliments To answer your question:

1. Nope. Superwinch only recommends a 60A alternator for this winch and the factory is 160A.
2. Also no, although I wouldn't mind doing that. The factory battery is kind of crappy, I think eventually I'll replace it with a single Optima yellow top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richnev View Post
love the license plate relocation bracket, but just one question how does it attach? is there another peice that goes behind the wheel?
Yup, theres a mount that goes between the tire carrier and the wheel. Looks like this:

Unread 03-14-2010, 08:28 AM   #12
ge2
Gold Member

2007 JK Wrangler 

Love it! The plate relocation is something I've really been interested in. Running the wire for the light is what's holding me back. Tell us about that part. Simple?
ge2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2010, 09:34 AM   #13
DeepSky
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ge2 View Post
Love it! The plate relocation is something I've really been interested in. Running the wire for the light is what's holding me back. Tell us about that part. Simple?
It wasn't bad at all actually. Just had to peel back the carpet at the upper tub corner and pull the wires & connector through the plug there then splice in some wire and run across the back of the tub. I tucked the wire under the weather stripping at the bottom of the tub. After that I just ran it out through the conduit I was already using for the third brake light.
Unread 03-15-2010, 01:00 PM   #14
DeepSky
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4jkx View Post
Is you're stock license plate holder still in one piece? Can I have it if it is?
PM sent back.
Unread 03-15-2010, 01:48 PM   #15
ge2
Gold Member

2007 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the info! It looks awesome.
ge2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.