Weekend Beach/Trail Build Idea - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Weekend Beach/Trail Build Idea

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 06-16-2010, 07:34 PM   #1
DM19D

Weekend Beach/Trail Build Idea

I'm looking at buying a 4dr unlimited down the road for light trail work and the beach and was looking for ideas on what I need to make a point of doing.

While I don't have a lot of experience doing major mechanical work (suspension, engine, etc) I've always been good at handling it with instruction and am more than willing to give it a shot.

I don't have garage access so work I can do in the driveway is preferred. And I don't want to go messing with new axles/gearing/etc atleast for now.
The suspension and interior work is wear I plan on focusing.

I'm looking for the most bang for the buck keeping overall price (including buying vehicle used) under $30k. So 5k-10k for mods total is acceptable. Down the road I'll be putting more in it but don't want the wife on my case for spending to much at once.

Anyway here's what I'm planning on and would like some suggestions for:

Flooring - some sort of bed liner as the amount of sand and salt water that will be getting in it from the beach. Suggestions on what brand to go for?

Underside - Due to the salt/sand would you recommend bed lining the underside? I know how bad road salt will rust it out when I get back home to PA, and protecting this seems like a great idea to me.
Also which skid plates do you suggest off the bat?

Storage - Security is a must as I don't plan on having the top or doors on at all and will be keeping expensive equipment in it from time to time (TA-50, SCUBA gear, etc). Waterproof security is even better as long as it has drain plugs to rinse it out easily.

Also rack systems to support 2 large coolers, a kayak/surfboard, small grill, fuelcan, watercan, and large tools (jack, axe, shovel, pick axe).
Figure a roof rack for the kayak and tools, the coolers ontop of a rear deck with the grill, and a rear mount for the cans/spare. Any recommendations for brands?
Looking at the Tuffy Security Deck for expensive equipment, sound like a good idea?

Suspension - I'm open to suggestions here as I havn't looked into it much. Figure a 2"-4" lift is a must. Also a small body lift. So what else? What brands?

Wheels/Tires - Don't want to go overboard to the point of needing regearing or new axles. But something a bit bigger maybe.

Interior - A soundbar, in dash GPS/stereo or a laptop mount for geocaching, locking center console for valuables/pistol (saw a nice Tuffy one earlier)

Electrical - I want to mount LED takedown/alley lights for the sake of 360 degree lighting. I'm gonna try and find the package we had on our QRV back home. Or I may just due some small high power LED packages for lighting.
Also I want to do a switch relay for the ignition on top of the key. (If I do what I'm planning work wise I want it to be a ***** to steal. A lot of islanders hate us haoles.)

Bumpers - Something that doesn't add a lot of length or weight but offers good protection, shackle points.

Accessories - A good affordable winch, a power converter and outlets (for stereo and lights at the beach) a roll cage upgrade maybe, and a snorkel. And anything else that would work nicely.

I realize it's a lot of planning and I'll change it 20 times by the time I start but what do you guys think? Does the build have merit? This'll be my first build and I plan on having fun getting it done and taking awhile to finish it to keep me entertained on the weekends.

So any brands or gear that I should use or missed would be great if you're bored and have the time. I want to build up a list of gear so by the time I get back here I can just order everything off the bat.

DM19D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.