Ways to improve driving stability of lifted Jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Ways to improve driving stability of lifted Jeep

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while suppliePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba

Unread 01-23-2012, 06:29 AM   #1
Hambergler
2007 JK Wrangler 

Ways to improve driving stability of lifted Jeep

Hi Guys,

Just bought my second Wrangler ('07 JK 4DR) a month ago. Got it with a 4"inch lift already on to save some labor money. As a result I don't know what the manufacturer is or what all the kit included since I'm not real knowledgeable about lifts.

I put a 2 inch on my old TJ and noticed a reduction in stability on the highway (as expected). But the 4 inch on the 4 door has caused random fits of instability above 50mph. I wanted to know if there is a way to create more stability at speed. I don't think it's what people are describing as the death wobble-more of lateral movement at speed. I know you can't change the dirty air or bad aerodynamics so please don't say "get another vehicle", "take off the lift" or something similar. I know there is a ton you can do to improve suspension performance with many cars so I was wondering if anybody has found an effective upgrade for lifted jeeps.

Thanks guys.

Hambergler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2012, 06:32 AM   #2
Irongrave
1992 YJ Wrangler 

really need to know what brand it is and what type of shocks and tires your running. photos work well for that.
1997 TJ, Dad's Claytons 4:88s and stuff A TJ for Dad
1992 YJ crawler, getting 60s. Build thread the illusion of progress
North Jersey Jeep Club, AtoZ Fabrication, Rozzo Fabrication
Irongrave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2012, 06:59 AM   #3
KPJ
2010 JK Wrangler 

How is caster corrected by your suspension? Adjustable upper or lower front control arms? AEV or some other brackets? Not at all?

Have you been to an alignment shop to get your alignment numbers? Flighty steering is a symptom of insufficient caster angle.

Also, are your axles centered on the Jeep? Do you have adjustable trackbars or relocation brackets either frame or axle side to center the axles? You can check for centered axles by looking at the tire/fender relationship on each side at each axle. If the tires stick out further on one side while the Jeep is at rest the axles aren't centered. (Unlikely, but it could be that an adjustable track bar has been set too lng too.)

My bet is that its an incomplete lift that doesn't properly resolve caster angle issues and/or doesn't center the axles.

Check out the Jeep and answer the questions and you will be providing answers to Q's that are needed to help further diagnose your issues.

JPK
KPJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2012, 07:14 AM   #4
Joevacs
2010 JK Wrangler 

I would take it to an experienced shop that lifts and modifies Jeeps. Let them see what needs to be adjusted or replaced. A 4" lift on a JK shouldn't alter performance or drivability.

and btw WELCOME TO THE FORUM
Unread 01-23-2012, 07:23 AM   #5
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

On my rig, lifting reduced the caster angle to the point the thing flitted all over the road. I had the adujstable cam bolts instaleld and teh caster angle brought back to fiveish degrees, and it much, much more stable now.

I'm told this makes low speed steering more difficult, but with power steering, I just really don't care.
jstrubberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2012, 07:34 AM   #6
jehnmg
2009 JK Wrangler 

As a previous post said, you probably need adjustable control arms. Anytime you add a lift, it throws off the suspension geometry, which could cause the exact problem you are describing.
I would start with purchasing the adjustable lower control arms,and go from there.

Skids- Sway Bar, c. arms, s.mounts, oil pan, evap. cannister, EVO C2 front axle Gussets...
jehnmg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2012, 07:40 AM   #7
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Proper caster and toe, appropriate track width for the height, properly setup tight suspension and steering with no play, sway bars on both ends.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2012, 08:03 AM   #8
MTBryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambergler
Hi Guys,

Just bought my second Wrangler ('07 JK 4DR) a month ago. Got it with a 4"inch lift already on to save some labor money. As a result I don't know what the manufacturer is or what all the kit included since I'm not real knowledgeable about lifts.

I put a 2 inch on my old TJ and noticed a reduction in stability on the highway (as expected). But the 4 inch on the 4 door has caused random fits of instability above 50mph. I wanted to know if there is a way to create more stability at speed. I don't think it's what people are describing as the death wobble-more of lateral movement at speed. I know you can't change the dirty air or bad aerodynamics so please don't say "get another vehicle", "take off the lift" or something similar. I know there is a ton you can do to improve suspension performance with many cars so I was wondering if anybody has found an effective upgrade for lifted jeeps.

Thanks guys.
Yes, adjustable front control arms to fix your castor is the answer. Also reduce the air pressure in your tires.
I bought my '07 with a 4 inch lift in Georgia and it was so scary on the highway, I took back roads all the way back to Nashville.
I aired down my 35's to 26 psi and that helped some. I then put adjustable uppers and that helped immensely. I just got done putting on adjustable lowers and it is even better.
If I had to do it over again, I would probably get fixed lowers that are about 1/2 inch longer than stock, then the adjustable uppers. That would have accomplished the same thing but would have saved me some bucks.
MTBryan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2012, 10:03 AM   #9
KPJ
2010 JK Wrangler 

Before committing to adjustable control arms, which are pricy, take a look at AEV's front control arm brackets, which run $100 the pair and which will probably save your front drive shaft, as well as reduce break dive and body roll.

JPK
KPJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2012, 10:10 AM   #10
Vince1
2010 JK Wrangler 

You likely need a high steer kit to correct the front geometry. Post a photo of drag link, track bar, etc...
Vince1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2012, 10:12 AM   #11
PhatBasturd
Web Wheeler

1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irongrave View Post
really need to know what brand it is and what type of shocks and tires your running. photos work well for that.
X2 - Nail on the head. Let's get this before throwing out random solutions like adjustable CA's and drop brackets.
PhatBasturd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2012, 03:13 PM   #12
Jowlz

If you can't find someone to tell you what the lift is, I would at least take it for an alignment before you start throwing parts at it....
Jowlz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2012, 09:44 PM   #13
Rudinater
2009 JK Wrangler 

Just a FYI, I have a 4inch long arm lift with 37inch tires. I cruise at 80+ on the freeway and it's very stable. It also handles very well in the turns as well.

Red 09 Unlimited Rubicon - Teraflex 4inch long arm lift, Elka shocks, 5:38 gears, 37inch GY MTR's, Expedition Core front bumper with Warn PowerPlant HD, RS-E rear bumper and carrier, RS-E step rock sliders.
Rudinater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2012, 09:48 PM   #14
ytowntj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Proper caster and toe, appropriate track width for the height, properly setup tight suspension and steering with no play, sway bars on both ends.
Yes. Good shocks as well.

I'd be willing to bet that my TJ handles better than a stock jeep off the showroom floor by a good bit.

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/pts/4338209219.html

My build - Odd approach to 33's
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/o...h-33s-1307968/
ytowntj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2012, 03:07 AM   #15
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

I believe that I've got 5-to-6-degree caster on my stock front axle with my 3" TeraFlex lift (TeraFlex designates length measurements for upper/lower control arms, thus automatically setting caster). With wheel centered and proper toe-in she drives perfect up to 80mph (130km/h - I rarely drive that speed and I don't drive faster that that). I have the full-flexarm lift kit and she drives like a dream, pretty sure that the adjustable control arms is key.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.