Water pump 2013 JKU - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Water pump 2013 JKU

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-10-2013, 07:06 PM   #1
Wrigley
2013 JK Wrangler 

Water pump 2013 JKU

2013 JKU Sahara with 8220 miles on it. The water pump is singing like a bird. Took it into the dealership today. YES......it's your water pump and they are 4 to 6 weeks back ordered.

What they told me next is what I am having a problem with. They said: "The water pump is mechanically sound and functioning properly. It is making the squealing sound because the clearance between the shaft and the bearing it rides in is too close which causes the noise".

I then asked them: "If the water pump is functioning properly, why is Jeep agreeing to change them simply because of the squealing noise"?

He just looked me with a blank stare on his face and couldn't answer my question.

So......does anyone know if there is in fact a mechanical problem with these water pumps or is it just a tight bearing around the shaft?

Thanks
Mike

Wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 07:15 PM   #2
awinski
young & dumb

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrigley View Post
2013 JKU Sahara with 8220 miles on it. The water pump is singing like a bird. Took it into the dealership today. YES......it's your water pump and they are 4 to 6 weeks back ordered.

What they told me next is what I am having a problem with. They said: "The water pump is mechanically sound and functioning properly. It is making the squealing sound because the clearance between the shaft and the bearing it rides in is too close which causes the noise".

I then asked them: "If the water pump is functioning properly, why is Jeep agreeing to change them simply because of the squealing noise"?

He just looked me with a blank stare on his face and couldn't answer my question.

So......does anyone know if there is in fact a mechanical problem with these water pumps or is it just a tight bearing around the shaft?

Thanks
Mike
Depending on where you were yiu may have been talking to a sales rep, customer service etc. Sometimes they know what they're talking about and sometimes they dont, remember these arent techs. They read off the work order and what the tech tells them, so if they miss read or the ibfo wasnt clear its easy to mix it up.
Just my theory

Theres tons of threads here and other places about water pump, alternator, and tensioner bearings going bad with nothibg more than a trip to the beach. Some times youll make it through the deepeat pit and nothing happens to the bearings, then sometimes you drive through a coastal town a mile from the beach and sand manages to make its way in there. My guess is there's debris somewhere in the bearing. But a tight clearance is possible
awinski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 12:47 AM   #3
suicideking
2006 LJ Wrangler 

It's still functioning and doing what it should do, so no emergency. They're replacing it because it's just DAMN ANNOYING and they know people won't put up with that BS.

I had mine replaced at around 10K miles.

suicideking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 05:03 AM   #4
Wrigley
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicideking View Post
It's still functioning and doing what it should do, so no emergency. They're replacing it because it's just DAMN ANNOYING and they know people won't put up with that BS.

I had mine replaced at around 10K miles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6Fg6eqioxY
Mine isn't making as much noise as yours is in the video you provided. Actually, you can't even hear it if you are sitting inside the Jeep. You have to be standing outside in front of the Jeep when it is running and it doesn't always make the noise.

Is there a technical bulletin or any other correspondance from Chrysler concerning this issue that you know of?

Thanks
Mike
Unread 09-11-2013, 07:33 AM   #5
rock-rocker
I Love Wheelin'

2013 JK Wrangler 

I had mine replaced at around 1700 miles. Mechanic said the pump works fine just noisey. Why should we spend as much as we do to drive a vehicle that squeals?? I hope they keep replaceing them as needed...
Unread 09-11-2013, 09:22 AM   #6
Wrigley
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock-rocker View Post
I had mine replaced at around 1700 miles. Mechanic said the pump works fine just noisey. Why should we spend as much as we do to drive a vehicle that squeals?? I hope they keep replaceing them as needed...
Auto manufacturers would be replacing a whole lot of parts during the warranty period if the "it makes noise now but didn't when I bought it" theory applied. There must be some underlying mechanical issue with these water pumps that warrants them to be changed.

Mike
Unread 09-11-2013, 07:07 PM   #7
rock-rocker
I Love Wheelin'

2013 JK Wrangler 

Wrigley, So if I understand you right you feel that just because it makes noise it's okay? Buy a new car and just because it squeals it's okay just wait until it breaks? You work for a Dealership or something? I'm sorry, if I buy a $50k vehicle your damn right I'm going to bring it back for noise, rattles and squeaks and I'd expect you to fix it otherwise I'd go on a mission to let people know what kind of product your selling the people and if this is what you are selling the price better be allot cheaper...
Unread 09-11-2013, 07:25 PM   #8
Remmy18
2012 JK Wrangler 

He was probably staring at you in disbelief as if to say "man, I can't win. This guy comes in here with a problem, we're fixing it and he's still giving me a hard time."
Remmy18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 07:26 PM   #9
suicideking
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrigley View Post
Mine isn't making as much noise as yours is in the video you provided. Actually, you can't even hear it if you are sitting inside the Jeep. You have to be standing outside in front of the Jeep when it is running and it doesn't always make the noise.

Is there a technical bulletin or any other correspondance from Chrysler concerning this issue that you know of?

Thanks
Mike
Mine started out occasional to the point where I couldn't get it to act up when I took it to the dealer. One time during my lunch hour it was making the noise so I raced to the dealer so they could finally hear the noise. Apparently it was their lunch hour too, they didn't have anyone available to look at it. I showed a mechanic the video above, he still claimed he couldn't do anything unless he was able to re-produce the noise.

It started out not as loud, probably what you hear. After about 3 months, the noise was almost constant and as loud as in the video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock-rocker View Post
Wrigley, So if I understand you right you feel that just because it makes noise it's okay? Buy a new car and just because it squeals it's okay just wait until it breaks? You work for a Dealership or something? I'm sorry, if I buy a $50k vehicle your damn right I'm going to bring it back for noise, rattles and squeaks and I'd expect you to fix it otherwise I'd go on a mission to let people know what kind of product your selling the people and if this is what you are selling the price better be allot cheaper...
Amen brother! If it's less than a year old, it shouldn't be making annoying noises unless they are a result of me banging it on a rock!
suicideking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2013, 06:40 AM   #10
Wrigley
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remmy18 View Post
He was probably staring at you in disbelief as if to say "man, I can't win. This guy comes in here with a problem, we're fixing it and he's still giving me a hard time."
I wasn't giving anyone a hard time. I asked the service advisor the same question I am asking here. "Is there an underlying "mechanical issue" with the water pumps, or is Chrysler simply agreeing to change them because SOME of them make noise?"

He went and got a mechanic and the mechanic came out to the Jeep. The Jeep WAS NOT running and the mechanic told the service advisor to order a water pump for my wifes Jeep and they would call me and set up an appointment to change it when they received the pump. The mechanic NEVER asked me to start the Jeep to listen to the water pump. I found that rather odd!!!

My 2013 Sport has 15,000 miles on it and my water pump doesn't make a sound. Does that mean it doesn't need to be changed? Is Chrysler not telling us everything? If there is an underlying mechanical issue with these water pumps I want mine changed regardless if it makes a squealing noise or not!

Mike
Unread 09-12-2013, 06:57 AM   #11
Remmy18
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrigley

I wasn't giving anyone a hard time. I asked the service advisor the same question I am asking here. "Is there an underlying "mechanical issue" with the water pumps, or is Chrysler simply agreeing to change them because SOME of them make noise?"

He went and got a mechanic and the mechanic came out to the Jeep. The Jeep WAS NOT running and the mechanic told the service advisor to order a water pump for my wifes Jeep and they would call me and set up an appointment to change it when they received the pump. The mechanic NEVER asked me to start the Jeep to listen to the water pump. I found that rather odd!!!

My 2013 Sport has 15,000 miles on it and my water pump doesn't make a sound. Does that mean it doesn't need to be changed? Is Chrysler not telling us everything? If there is an underlying mechanical issue with these water pumps I want mine changed regardless if it makes a squealing noise or not!

Mike
I believe you're over thinking it. The water pump is a known issue and when they make noise, they're replaced. If your 2013 is not making noise or overheating, it's fine. I had mine replaced at 13000 miles. If it starts to make noise or run hot, take it in. I don't think there's a conspiracy going on.
Remmy18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2013, 07:28 AM   #12
rock-rocker
I Love Wheelin'

2013 JK Wrangler 

x2 on what Remmy said. If it's not making any kind of noise then don't worry about it. That's what is great about these Forum's. It gives you an idea what to look, listen and feel for with your rig but don't get too anul. It just may not happen to you but if it does you can pretty much be able to diagnose it and identify the problem yourself so that if you take it to the shop they can't blow smoke up your ***. Not only that but it also helps me to know the severity of the problem which helps me to decide the urgency.
Unread 09-12-2013, 07:50 AM   #13
roughandtangle
2013 JK Wrangler 

I have 4500 miles on mine and it started making this noise occasionally after 2000 and is now constant. I set up an appointment with the dealer so i am hoping that they work with me on this.
Unread 09-13-2013, 08:58 PM   #14
roadrunner58
2013 JK Wrangler 

My 2013 has 2,400 miles and I noticed the water pump noise two days ago. The noise comes and goes at a idle when the engine is hot. I have a appointment with the dealer tomorrow morning. I hope it makes the noise, so that the dealer will order a new water pump for my Jeep.
roadrunner58 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2013, 08:56 AM   #15
fitzz47
2013 JK Wrangler 

I own 2, 2013 wranglers, both had to have pumps changed,half day job, dealer sent me on my way no problems.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.