Water now no crank - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Water now no crank

Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 05-02-2013, 06:11 AM   #16
grenMEG
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for keeping the thread up top Rocky.

This is where it stands, the owner is going to hike down the trail Friday to see if he can switch out the starter and get it to fire.
By the end of the day today I will get the owner to decide what he wants to do as far as recovery goes.
I am in for a recovery Saturday, doesn't seem like that area got hit hard with snow. (Fingers crossed)

I will post here and Colorado chapter.

Unread 05-02-2013, 10:43 AM   #17
ncb

I'm not familiar with the trail. How bad will it be to tow him out of there if it's completely FUBAR'd?
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 11:21 AM   #18
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I don't mind helping the guy to the paved road where he can get a tow or something to a shop. Not sure what town he lives in?
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 11:27 AM   #19
ncb

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyClymer
I don't mind helping the guy to the paved road where he can get a tow or something to a shop. Not sure what town he lives in?
Will you be driving down I25 if we do this on Saturday?
Unread 05-02-2013, 12:54 PM   #20
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I would meet up in Sedalia then go over to Deckers and down to West Creek grenMEG, where are U located at?
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
Unread 05-02-2013, 01:07 PM   #21
ncb

Quote:
I would meet up in Sedalia then go over to Deckers and down to West Creek grenMEG, where are U located at?
Cool. I'm 30 minutes from Sedalia.
Unread 05-02-2013, 01:43 PM   #22
grenMEG
1994 YJ Wrangler 

i am at I25 and hampden.

sedalia sounds fine with me
Unread 05-02-2013, 04:07 PM   #23
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I have always gone in from Westcreek, although there is a route in from Divide, but longer for me....grenMEG, your friend would be there, correct? He would have to do most of the labor....he he he. Need to let us know tomorrow night at latest. I suggest
we meet in Sedalia at say 9:00 am near the South bound track (west set of tracks) across from Two Sisters shop...
Unread 05-02-2013, 06:09 PM   #24
grenMEG
1994 YJ Wrangler 

If he doesn't go down and try to fix his jeep tomorrow and get it started, I'm done. I will let everyone know tomorrow night at 7pm if its canceled. Otherwise Sedalia is perfect, I will convoy from either side.
Unread 05-03-2013, 07:39 PM   #25
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Well, did he go down and try? Seems this friend is pretty nonchalant in my book about his Jeep....you are the only one that is talking...where is he in this whole thing?
Unread 05-05-2013, 05:44 AM   #26
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

I'm pretty sure he hydrolocked the engine. Same thing happened a Jetta I had. Good thing was my ins covered it because we got a flash flood.
Unread 05-05-2013, 09:03 AM   #27
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

We tried and could not haul the dead weight out. After removing plugs, the engine still would not turn over. Also, the starter motor would not even engage, just spin. Definitely hydro-locked and something internal broken that is jammed internally.

There is a very steep loose gravel hill to get up out of the gulch, and three of us in tandem could not pull the dead weight of the JKU up, we all just dug holes with our tires. Not fun. I tried to use a winch cable to help the fellow around a sharp turn using a snatch block at 90 degrees. Trouble was instead of actually winching (I had lost or misplaced my winch controller of all damn things, no spare on the trail - my bad) I tried to pull in reverse....uh oh, dumb mistake on my part. Reverse on a high pinion Dana 30 is the weak side....
So after about 9 hours of working to get this rig out. We ended up having to leave it again by the side of the trail. This guy needs to get a professional off-road recovery company to get him out. He said he could not afford the $800 or so to have this done, wonder what the cost of a motor replacement will do to his budget. Personally, I am already out the cost of new front gears...

I am sure others there, grenMEG and COLOUXJ will post a story or two...

What do they say, A good deed never goes unpunished....lol

edit - took name of location out of post. Rule 1 - pay to play, Rule 2 - If you can't pay, then don't play or play lightly! Rule 3 - any recovery operation will stress your rig to the max.
Unread 05-05-2013, 09:32 AM   #28
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

Probably a lot of things broken inside. The piston rods themselves are probably bent and jammed.
Unread 05-05-2013, 09:45 AM   #29
ncb

Quote:
We tried and could not haul the dead weight out. After removing plugs, the engine still would not turn over. Also, the starter motor would not even engage, just spin. Definitely hydro-locked and something internal broken that is jammed internally.

There is a very steep loose gravel hill to get up out of the gulch, and three of us in tandem could not pull the dead weight of the JKU up, we all just dug holes with our tires. Not fun. I tried to use a winch cable to help the fellow around a sharp turn using a snatch block at 90 degrees. Trouble was instead of actually winching (I had lost or misplaced my winch controller of all damn things, no spare on the trail - my bad) I tried to pull in reverse....uh oh, dumb mistake on my part. Reverse on a high pinion Dana 30 is the weak side....
So after about 9 hours of working to get this rig out. We ended up having to leave it again by the side of the trail. This guy needs to get a professional off-road recovery company to get him out. He said he could not afford the $800 or so to have this done, wonder what the cost of a motor replacement will do to his budget. Personally, I am already out the cost of new front gears...

I am sure others there, grenMEG and COLOUXJ will post a story or two...

What do they say, A good deed never goes unpunished....lol

edit - took name of location out of post. Rule 1 - pay to play, Rule 2 - If you can't pay, then don't play or play lightly! Rule 3 - any recovery operation will stress your rig to the max.
That sucks you grenaded the front gears. That's true about good deeds. I ended up working because of a pop up charter on the jet I maintain. Lets meet up for some wheeling this summer. I was bummed I couldn't make it and meet you guys, but maybe working wasn't so bad.
Unread 05-05-2013, 12:14 PM   #30
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I certainly hope this fella appreciates all your efforts. Sorry to hear about your breakage, just not fair to help others out and be stuck with a bill like that. Been there, done that. In hind sight I guess it would have just been cheaper for everyone to just chip in for the tow truck for him.

One of the reasons I don't go too far with the Jeep cause its just too easy to get carried away when you are having fun. I can't afford the downtime. Like you say "ya wanna play, ya gotta pay".
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.