Water, Mud leads to all sorts of crap - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Water, Mud leads to all sorts of crap

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread 06-12-2013, 09:43 AM   #16
Lito
2012 JK Wrangler 

Update:

1) Interior sparkles. All carpets out, removed (cut on those sections that were still joined by a 1/2"), and everything inside spit and polished. This is because to see where I was going, I had to open the door. Open doors, spinning tyres, mud makes for a *very dirty interior.

2) Power Steering: its broken.. Fluid flushed, and properly bled. As soon as the engine revs over 1500rpms, the pump dies.

3) Aircon/Climate control: perfect (all mud removed, all connectors dielectric greased)

4) Horn: perfect too

5) Engine oil: changed properly/ new filter (heck, I allowed it to drain overnight, despite the oil being hot from a good drive prior to drain)

6) Transmission: flushed and refilled properly ( quite a few small pieces of metal shavings present, which I expect from a brand new vehicle that hasnt enjoyed a change to date)

7) Front and Rear diff - drained, cover removed, cleaned out with brake cleaner, gaskets removed and cleaned properly, and put back with hi temp Permatex. Front diff especially had milky white oil - glad I did the deed.

8) Rear bumper: fixed perfectly.

9) Fuel tank skid dropped, panelbeaten and recoated. Fuel tank mud removed (incredible amount sitting on top of the tank). Same with transmission skid.

10) Tires rotated.

11) Brake service done, and ABS connectors dielectric greased.

12) All electrical connectors dielectric greased (there are a ton!)

Things to do: extend diff/ tranmission breathers to better protected areas so that I dont have to do that again in a hurry.

Resources: many different websites outside this one - all bookmarked for the future.

ps: cannot rev engine in neutral on the automatic 'box above 4050 rpm - its a protection mechanism.

Best ,and thanks for the input guys.

Lito is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 06:42 AM   #17
Mello03
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lito View Post
Update:

ps: cannot rev engine in neutral on the automatic 'box above 4050 rpm - its a protection mechanism.

Best ,and thanks for the input guys.
Yeah they are doing that quite a bit now. It's not good to rev and engine without a load on it. Glad you're getting it all worked out.
Unread 06-13-2013, 10:47 AM   #18
gills
2007 JK Wrangler 

Any chance there's a filter/screen in the power steering pump that clogs with some remaining sediment at 1500+ rpm and starves the pump? I'm not sure, just a guess as I don't understand what else would cause this based on engine speed.

I had a bad whine near/in the alternator after my first deep water...it went away after a while and a couple of engine compartment cleanings.
2007 Sahara - Rescue Green, 2-Door, 6-spd, 4.10 gears & dual tops. AEV 2.5" lift, hood, drop brackets, snorkel & rear slider. Cobra 75 WX XT CB, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Rugged Ridge light bar, hydraulic hood struts, T&T Customs Adventure Series sliders & IPF 968 lights.
Waiting to be installed: River Raider breather extension, and not much else for this year...
gills is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 03:52 PM   #19
VICTIM_OF_PAIN
2008 JK Wrangler 

Where are the pictures of this mess? It sounds epic!

[B]Ex - 2001 Wrangler, 2" BB, 32" BGF AT's. JKS Quicker Disconnects, Oil Pan Skid, Steering Box Skid. Hard Top, Soft Top, Safari Top, Olympic Mountaineer Rack.[/B][/COLOR]

Current - 2008 Unlimited Wrangler Rubicon. Rock Krawler Stock Mod 2.5" lift, 35x12.50x15 Cooper STT's on Pro-Comp D-Windows, Husky Floor Liners, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, Hitch mounted D-Ring, Rancho Oil Pan Skid, Rugged Ridge E-Disco Skid, and a Skid Row Evap Canister Skid plate.

[B]It is better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool.... than to open it and remove all doubt[/B].
VICTIM_OF_PAIN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 05:58 PM   #20
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VICTIM_OF_PAIN View Post
Where are the pictures of this mess? It sounds epic!
right, no pics mehhh it did not happen.
Unread 06-14-2013, 03:53 PM   #21
Lito
2012 JK Wrangler 

Thanks Mello3 - glad to have her running sweetly again

Gills - good question. I did, however, completely flush the PS pump (with engine running as well, until no more ATF+4 came out). Then a good cleaning of the reservoir (there were metal bits in there - quite a few) and then a full bleeding of the system. That last step took a long time.

Having said that, the whine remains but the PS works more and more. After giving it to a pro to look at, it turns out that the PS is indeed the noise maker. Well, that and idler pulleys....
Unread 06-14-2013, 05:59 PM   #22
nwbronco
2014 JK Wrangler 

The idler pulleys dry out in a hurry. The missus loves the mud and water. They last about 3 months, then they dry out and start whining. I buy 4 to 6 at a time. Power steering pump shaft may be shorn. Remove the belt and see if the pulley pulls out of the pump.

Bob K.
'13 Black 10A Rubicon JKU
nwbronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2013, 10:07 AM   #23
Lito
2012 JK Wrangler 

Ha - Victim of Pain and 222 Doc - the crap part of being lead in a situation like this is that the other drive holds onto his steering wheel while I go first watching for my lines. No pics from his side for me. I have a few of him, but then I do like to record situations like this for later reminiscing.

Bob K - thats helpful information thanks man. Do you have a good resource on the web that I can learn from in order to replace my idler pulleys? (ps: PS pump has already been replaced)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.