Water, Mud leads to all sorts of crap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Water, Mud leads to all sorts of crap

Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 06-04-2013, 01:27 PM   #1
Lito
2012 JK Wrangler 

Water, Mud leads to all sorts of crap

Had a much longer day than anticipated out in the boonies with a buddy (and the impending father in law).... and managed to get home. Mud holes deep enough to have the engine fan chopping hard in the water, lots of water leaked past the door seals, blew tyre off the rim, that sort of thing.

2012 Rubi, auto, all the (standard Jeep) trimmings.

Problems:

a) Something near the alternator whines. Rev the engine, it whines. Something definitely wrong.

b) Intermittent power steering assist. Mostly gone. Heavy as a mofo to turn without the power steering assist.

c) Internal fan/aircon unit - intermittent action too. Seems to work now that its been drying for two days - but half the power it used to work at.

d) Sometimes the engine doesnt start. No starter action, despite all the internal lights working and no warning signs. Switch off, retry - then engine starts as normal (with engine whine)

As mentioned, she's drying out in the sun (plus vacuumed out water internally) and looks like I will strip her as far as is necessary to get her back to perfect shape. Idled her in the sun today for half an hour, lots of steam coming from rad area, enough to keep the alternator steamed up in wafts during that period.

Will do the oil change and will do a diff oil change too. She's only 8000 miles old.

Any pointers/ advice for the four main issues? I'd appreciate that very much.

Lito is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 01:42 PM   #2
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Stay out of deep water/mud.

Sounds like the alternator may have gotten wet, which could squealing, but that'd be easy to tell. You can always put a screwdriver tip on what you think may be squealing and place your ear on the handle, you'll know....it works like a stethoscope (that works better if you have one).

Check all you electrical contacts, you may have mud interfering with them.

You belt may be slipping too.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 01:58 PM   #3
Lito
2012 JK Wrangler 

Will do the makeshift stethoscope method, I like that sort of thing.

Just came back from the vehicle - fans worked for around a minute - now dead. When I adjust climate control/ manual control, I can hear whirring as it tries to direct air - but def no fan action.

Power steering dead for sure.

When I put it in neutral, and I floor it - it will spin up to 4050 rpm odd, and thats it. Not sure if thats a protection mechanism, but seems... wrong.

I should have mentioned that I also powerwashed her hard and got all the mud out. Theres likely 1-2% mud left if that...
Unread 06-04-2013, 02:06 PM   #4
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Hopefully you don't have water in your intake. Is your air filter good and dry?

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs

Unread 06-04-2013, 02:49 PM   #5
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lito View Post
Will do the makeshift stethoscope method, I like that sort of thing.

Just came back from the vehicle - fans worked for around a minute - now dead. When I adjust climate control/ manual control, I can hear whirring as it tries to direct air - but def no fan action.

Power steering dead for sure.

When I put it in neutral, and I floor it - it will spin up to 4050 rpm odd, and thats it. Not sure if thats a protection mechanism, but seems... wrong.

I should have mentioned that I also powerwashed her hard and got all the mud out. Theres likely 1-2% mud left if that...
Sounds like the power steering pump is fried. Thats the wine you hear upfront below the alternator. Must have taken in a fair bit of water/mud. If you are lucky you may be able to drain and add some fresh power steering fluid. Hopefully the steering box can be flushed as well.. Good LUCK!
I have a quad to play in mud. Play for 10min in the Jeep and it takes 3 days to clean everything out. It is fun though for that 10 min.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 06:48 PM   #6
Lito
2012 JK Wrangler 

Thanks gents - question: where do I find a manual/ parts disassembly manual on the web? I'm keen to go through all the connectors and clean them out

Jeffro - the air filter has mud residue on it, and its damp. But its not dead awful by any means. Just a drop or two of water in the airbox, although the butterfly intake had dirt residue around it. Cleaned that of course.
Unread 06-04-2013, 07:47 PM   #7
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks gents - question: where do I find a manual/ parts disassembly manual on the web? I'm keen to go through all the connectors and clean them out

Jeffro - the air filter has mud residue on it, and its damp. But its not dead awful by any means. Just a drop or two of water in the airbox, although the butterfly intake had dirt residue around it. Cleaned that of course.
A wet air filter is no bueno. Hopefully you didn't get water in the engine.

Unread 06-04-2013, 10:25 PM   #8
taoshum
2008 JK Wrangler 

This one didn't have a snorkel either.... water locked the engine...3 weeks to replace it
creek.jpg  
Unread 06-05-2013, 08:17 AM   #9
Noxian
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by taoshum View Post
This one didn't have a snorkel either.... water locked the engine...3 weeks to replace it
Stock intake or cold air?
Noxian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 08:39 AM   #10
Lito
2012 JK Wrangler 

That water pic is minute compared to what we went through. Worse off, we had no choice but to do it or else the vehicles would still be there.

Having said that, I think I am going to be ok with the engine - at present.

Removed the horn, because that sounded like a farting mouse, cleaned and lubed it - now it sounds normal again.

Removing the seats and carpets to remove all the mud inside the vehicle.

Removed the fan system and will continue to nurse that. - edit: fixed now. lots of gunk inside, and its attendant parts.

Bigger question is: is there a pdf or some resource on the web for a schematic of the JK? (I'm not finding one using the googlemacheeen)

Last edited by Lito; 06-05-2013 at 01:13 PM..
Unread 06-05-2013, 05:37 PM   #11
taoshum
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxian View Post
Stock intake or cold air?
stock. he was probably going about 45-50 mph when he hit the water which was about 3' deep...
Unread 06-05-2013, 05:44 PM   #12
taoshum
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
That water pic is minute compared to what we went through. Worse off, we had no choice but to do it or else the vehicles would still be there.

Having said that, I think I am going to be ok with the engine - at present.

Removed the horn, because that sounded like a farting mouse, cleaned and lubed it - now it sounds normal again.

Removing the seats and carpets to remove all the mud inside the vehicle.

Removed the fan system and will continue to nurse that. - edit: fixed now. lots of gunk inside, and its attendant parts.

Bigger question is: is there a pdf or some resource on the web for a schematic of the JK? (I'm not finding one using the googlemacheeen)

You got out without a blown engine under your own power, we had to tow him out, the engine was locked up tight. Next time take some pics! Glad you got home OK.
Unread 06-05-2013, 10:53 PM   #13
trw
2011 JK Wrangler 

I learned the hard way on my YJ that mud sucks and destroys everything.

I keep my JK out of the mud as much as possible now.
1978 Jeep CJ-7 - 304 V8, TH400 auto and quadratrac
2007 Jeep Liberty - Mother's Jeep, BFG ATs and....mud?
trw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 01:20 AM   #14
smcutter
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I have not been able to find one. Certainly not for the 2012+ Pentastar motor.

More of a Tinkering Thread than a Build Thread (smcutter)

Colorado Jeep Club Member #302
Keep Calm and Chive On!
And for the record, I'm probably judging you for your bad grammar or spelling.
smcutter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 07:47 AM   #15
Lito
2012 JK Wrangler 

Taoshum, thanks mate. We made it home alright - even managed to have heated seats on (it was colddd). One of the few things still working. I got some pics and vid of my buddy who was in a LR Disco with a 3inch lift kit (etc). I had to run and jump on the side of his vehicle at one stage to stop him from tipping over onto his side. Pretty close. Happened to each of our vehicles around three seperate times. It was a very eventful day.

TRW - no kidding. I didnt mention that all our nicely cared for rims are now heavily scratched, and I broke the front air dam and rear bumper off. Windows are scraped up badly from the little rocks sticking to the glass. It got so bad that I had to open the door to do reverse moves/ backups which just led to more mud getting inside the vehicle (and yes, I used two bathroom sized towels to clean the windows as often as I could).

Thanks SMCutter. Pretty frustrating, but I'll be sure to add it here if I find it.

edit: ps: carpets are out, washed up (were starting to reek), and today I'll see the tub bare and spotless, all electrical connections cleaned and lubed up. Aircon is now working 100%, and next up is rear bumper/ front air dam repairs (and clean the blown tyre rim from the 20 pounds of mud still inside the tyre mounted on it...)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.