Water drips when door opens, any suggestions? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Water drips when door opens, any suggestions?

Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 09-19-2010, 02:39 PM   #1
Mala
2009 JK Wrangler 

Water drips when door opens, any suggestions?

Hey all! I have had the problem (and I can see so have others) with water dripping into my interior when I open either front doors. It seems the drain channels on top stop just short of the windshield so it makes it pretty annoying when getting into or out of the jeep when it has rained. I know this isn't a huge deal just wondering if anyone has found a solution to it, thanks!

2009 Rubicon
4 Door Hardtop

Mala is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2010, 02:42 PM   #2
Slenny
2007 JK Wrangler 

I rock the Jeep before I get in. Never been an issue getting out of the Jeep unless I been sitting in it parked while it was raining.
Slenny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2010, 02:44 PM   #3
Mala
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duayne77 View Post
I rock the Jeep before I get in. Never been an issue getting out of the Jeep unless I been sitting in it parked while it was raining.
It happens when its raining mostly, and after I have washed the car. Doesn't seem to be much of a problem when it's been sitting idle for a while once the rain has let up
Unread 09-19-2010, 03:45 PM   #4
ls6tt
2010 JK Wrangler 

carry a towel. nothing seems to fix it, and it annoys me. but the spot under neath the driver seat is prime for a big towel
ls6tt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2010, 03:48 PM   #5
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

It's just water, put a rag in the side pocket..........

Come on....
Unread 09-19-2010, 04:02 PM   #6
tclaremont
2014 JK Wrangler 

Put a dab of RTV at the front of the water channel.
-------------------------------------
tclaremont is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2010, 05:51 PM   #7
jeepcache
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krutj View Post

Come on....
bwahahaha i sat there and stared at your smilie for the whole thing
jeepcache is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2010, 05:53 PM   #8
TheDustMan
2007 KJ Liberty 

Mine does it too, especially when it rains hard. Not alot you can do about it. If I could find exactly where it was leaking from, I would do as tclaremont said and run a bead of RTV over it.
TheDustMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2010, 06:08 PM   #9
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcache View Post
bwahahaha i sat there and stared at your smilie for the whole thing
Ain't that funny? Didn't want to be too harsh..lol
Unread 09-19-2010, 06:58 PM   #10
bigredisb
1979 CJ7 

I just waxed the the drip rails and top and have had a lot less water since it runs right off. Even after a hard rain the top is mostly dry.

2013 Rubicon Unlimited build thread:[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/bigredisbs-jkur-build-1456541/#post14700472[/url]
bigredisb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2010, 07:26 PM   #11
IWantAGladiator
2008 JK Wrangler 

I posted a solution for this about 6 months ago, add about 1/2"-1" of rtv (silicone) at the very front of the drip channel. this won't eliminate the drip as much as it will let the channel hold more water. simplest thing to do after rtv'ing is to run your finger in the channel to push the water out before you get in.

if you aren't happy with this fix, jump in a buddy's cj with a hardtop during a rain. you won't complain about the jk roof again.
IWantAGladiator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2010, 09:00 PM   #12
bigredisb
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWantAGladiator View Post
if you aren't happy with this fix, jump in a buddy's cj with a hardtop during a rain. you won't complain about the jk roof again.
Thats why I gave up on my CJ's hardtop. Its like a wet dog shaking inside the whole time your driving with completely fogged up windows. Of course the previous owner had hacked in a sunroof which was the majority of the problem.

A buddy of mine with leveling kit on his JK does not have as much of an issue maybe because the factory rake causes water to run towards the front. Maybe I can use this to leverage some slush fund money for a lift on my JK!

2013 Rubicon Unlimited build thread:[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/bigredisbs-jkur-build-1456541/#post14700472[/url]
bigredisb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2010, 08:16 AM   #13
Mala
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls6tt View Post
carry a towel. nothing seems to fix it, and it annoys me. but the spot under neath the driver seat is prime for a big towel
Yep, that's what I have done from the beginning. Just started carrying spare towels in the back, thanks
Unread 09-20-2010, 08:21 AM   #14
Mala
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWantAGladiator View Post
I posted a solution for this about 6 months ago, add about 1/2"-1" of rtv (silicone) at the very front of the drip channel. this won't eliminate the drip as much as it will let the channel hold more water. simplest thing to do after rtv'ing is to run your finger in the channel to push the water out before you get in.

Thanks a ton for the advice, I will definitely be adding rtv to the channel. I know people just said "carry a towel". But when its down pouring and I'm getting a water fall inside when I open the door it can get a tad annoying. Thanks for helping instead of making fun.
Unread 09-20-2010, 08:22 AM   #15
Mala
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krutj View Post

Come on....
Great advice. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.