Water in the air filter and spark plugs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Water in the air filter and spark plugs

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-21-2013, 03:43 PM   #1
Lindsaydt86

Water in the air filter and spark plugs

I haven't been off roading in months, but my check engine light turned on in my 2010 Jeep Wrangler. We brought it to the dealership because it is still under warranty. They say that water got into the air filter and spark plugs so they are draining our fuel and replacing the items but they are saying this is not covered because it is 'normal wear and tear'. I am wondering how this would happen, especially considering we have never submerged the Jeep. Any ideas?

Lindsaydt86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 03:56 PM   #2
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Have you been in any big rainstorms lately? or gone through a puddle at a high rate of speed?

These would be the only things I see getting the air filter wet. But it anything did get in the intake it would not have been much so hearing that it even got into the combustion chamber is really interesting. Did they show you the water in the engine?

Something seems pretty fishy, I dont know what engine code would get thrown if you had water in the combustion chamber. Engine would hydrolock but not really throw any codes that I could think of.
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 04:25 PM   #3
toxicwaste29
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLOUXJ View Post
Something seems pretty fishy, I dont know what engine code would get thrown if you had water in the combustion chamber. Engine would hydrolock but not really throw any codes that I could think of.
Ha, you said fishy!
toxicwaste29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 04:28 PM   #4
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

IF you had water in the cylinders and they had to pull the plugs to drain it, I'd be surprised that your jeep even started.

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 04:46 PM   #5
Lindsaydt86

Thank you. The Jeep was running fine, no ticking or hesitation. I think I got ripped off by the dealership go figure.
Unread 02-21-2013, 04:59 PM   #6
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsaydt86
Thank you. The Jeep was running fine, no ticking or hesitation. I think I got ripped off by the dealership go figure.
I think you're right. Water in your air filter AND in your fuel? Water in the cylinders? The water is either ejected out/evaporated or you break something because water doesn't compress. If you had misfire, I could see them changing plugs and or suspecting water in the fuel. But then the air filter? Hmmm.....
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 08:02 PM   #7
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicwaste29 View Post
Ha, you said fishy!
Glad someone caught it
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 09:14 PM   #8
Lindsaydt86

Thank you everyone! I called and spoke with the foreman. They 'researched' it and decided that no work needed to be done after 2 days in the shop. Paperwork says "Fault found P0420 Catalyst efficiency bank 1 stored". The spark plugs were fine too, just water in the filter. They told me to monitor it! You all helped me out
Unread 02-22-2013, 03:22 PM   #9
LIJeepJC
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsaydt86
Thank you everyone! I called and spoke with the foreman. They 'researched' it and decided that no work needed to be done after 2 days in the shop. Paperwork says "Fault found P0420 Catalyst efficiency bank 1 stored". The spark plugs were fine too, just water in the filter. They told me to monitor it! You all helped me out
I'd be looking for a new stealership
LIJeepJC is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.