JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   JK Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/)
-   -   Water in the air filter and spark plugs (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/water-air-filter-spark-plugs-1482559/)

Lindsaydt86 02-21-2013 03:43 PM

Water in the air filter and spark plugs

I haven't been off roading in months, but my check engine light turned on in my 2010 Jeep Wrangler. We brought it to the dealership because it is still under warranty. They say that water got into the air filter and spark plugs so they are draining our fuel and replacing the items but they are saying this is not covered because it is 'normal wear and tear'. I am wondering how this would happen, especially considering we have never submerged the Jeep. Any ideas?

COLOUXJ 02-21-2013 03:56 PM

Have you been in any big rainstorms lately? or gone through a puddle at a high rate of speed?

These would be the only things I see getting the air filter wet. But it anything did get in the intake it would not have been much so hearing that it even got into the combustion chamber is really interesting. Did they show you the water in the engine?

Something seems pretty fishy, I dont know what engine code would get thrown if you had water in the combustion chamber. Engine would hydrolock but not really throw any codes that I could think of.

toxicwaste29 02-21-2013 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLOUXJ (Post 15011582)
Something seems pretty fishy, I dont know what engine code would get thrown if you had water in the combustion chamber. Engine would hydrolock but not really throw any codes that I could think of.

Ha, you said fishy!:rofl:

Filthy-Beast 02-21-2013 04:28 PM

IF you had water in the cylinders and they had to pull the plugs to drain it, I'd be surprised that your jeep even started.

Lindsaydt86 02-21-2013 04:46 PM

Thank you. The Jeep was running fine, no ticking or hesitation. I think I got ripped off by the dealership go figure.

brianjw 02-21-2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lindsaydt86
Thank you. The Jeep was running fine, no ticking or hesitation. I think I got ripped off by the dealership go figure.

I think you're right. Water in your air filter AND in your fuel? Water in the cylinders? The water is either ejected out/evaporated or you break something because water doesn't compress. If you had misfire, I could see them changing plugs and or suspecting water in the fuel. But then the air filter? Hmmm.....

COLOUXJ 02-21-2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toxicwaste29 (Post 15011774)
Ha, you said fishy!:rofl:

Glad someone caught it:highfive:

Lindsaydt86 02-21-2013 09:14 PM

Thank you everyone! I called and spoke with the foreman. They 'researched' it and decided that no work needed to be done after 2 days in the shop. Paperwork says "Fault found P0420 Catalyst efficiency bank 1 stored". The spark plugs were fine too, just water in the filter. They told me to monitor it! You all helped me out :)

LIJeepJC 02-22-2013 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lindsaydt86
Thank you everyone! I called and spoke with the foreman. They 'researched' it and decided that no work needed to be done after 2 days in the shop. Paperwork says "Fault found P0420 Catalyst efficiency bank 1 stored". The spark plugs were fine too, just water in the filter. They told me to monitor it! You all helped me out :)

I'd be looking for a new stealership

The time now is 02:42 PM.