Warranty Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Warranty Questions

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 07-22-2010, 10:33 PM   #1
Wranglin4Life
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Warranty Questions

Ok, so here is my situation. I bought my 08 jk about 3 weeks ago. It had 30,200 miles on it when I bought it. I havent had much luck with cars, I dont beat on them or anything... it just seems like every car I buy ends of having some kind of problems.

Anyways, I purchased a $0 deductible warranty good for 5 years or 75k miles bumper to bumper for $1900 bucks. Kinda pricey, I know. The reason I did this is because the warranty would be up in about 6k miles and I didnt want to be screwed with any expensive fixes. I do not have plans to do any major mods, at least for now.

I got a letter from the dealer saying I have 3 yr 36k and 5 yr 60k powertrain. I was not informed about the 5 year 60k powertrain warranty so thats why I bought the extended warranty. My question is, should I get my money back for the extended warranty and just chance it? Does my jeep wrangler really have a powertrain warranty til 60k?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

Wranglin4Life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 10:35 PM   #2
MilitaryJK4455
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

No! Keep the bumper to bumper... A lot more than your powertrain can go wrong... Power train only covers so much.
MilitaryJK4455 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 10:58 PM   #3
Wranglin4Life
1993 YJ Wrangler 

So getting the bumper to bumper was a smart move? Even for almost 2k? If I do minor lift will this void warranty?
Unread 07-22-2010, 11:15 PM   #4
kudah

a lift will not inherently void the warranty, they have to be able to prove the failed component failed because of the lift.
What extended warranty did you buy, is it from Chrysler?
Unread 07-22-2010, 11:23 PM   #5
Wranglin4Life
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudah View Post
a lift will not inherently void the warranty, they have to be able to prove the failed component failed because of the lift.
What extended warranty did you buy, is it from Chrysler?
Im pretty sure its from Chrysler, I bought the vehicle from a ford dealer but they have like 12 dealerships and one of them is a Jeep/Chrysler dealer. They said I can take it to any jeep dealer to get warranty work done.
Unread 07-23-2010, 12:20 AM   #6
MilitaryJK4455
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roos85 View Post
Im pretty sure its from Chrysler, I bought the vehicle from a ford dealer but they have like 12 dealerships and one of them is a Jeep/Chrysler dealer. They said I can take it to any jeep dealer to get warranty work done.
Then its from chrysler.... If your Jeep only has 30k on it and you bought a bumper to bumper to 75k for only 2 grand then I would say you faired pretty well... Keep the warranty... You would spend 2K on the Jeep in about 2 weeks after looking at this forum.
MilitaryJK4455 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2010, 12:52 AM   #7
Wranglin4Life
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yea I have read alot about them in my short time here so far. Is there a section that describes all recalls or anything for my model?
Unread 07-23-2010, 08:42 AM   #8
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

IMHO- I would get the money back, and then set that money aside as a repair fund. There is a whole lot covered in the powertrain warranty, and these are the most costly repairs.

It would require a whole lot of non-powertrain repairs to add up to $1900. So just take the money and sit on it.

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2010, 09:12 AM   #9
2004 TJ Wrangler 

if you can get the money back I would get it back. Chances are once you start modifying it the dealer will give you problems about your warranty. 2000 bucks will repair a lot stuff as already said. Then you dont have to worry about warranty denial. I pretty much assume that my lifetime warranty is worthless becasue of the mods I put into the jeep so far and plan to do soon. Warranties are not would they used to be.
Unread 07-23-2010, 05:08 PM   #10
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

I bought an extended warranty solely because of the electronics on the JK.

Now I'm re-thinking that decision.

If you hang around here, you hear about everything that can/does go wrong. Mostly the JK is solid. IMHO!
Unread 07-23-2010, 05:21 PM   #11
Wranglin4Life
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well can someone elaborate a little and let me know what is included in the powertrain warranty? Thanks
Unread 07-23-2010, 05:29 PM   #12
Wranglin4Life
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Also do i really have a 5 yr 60k powertrain because some guy on here not long ago was ranting about his motor blowing at 38k mi or something and chrysler wouldn't cover it. How can i be 100% sure about my warranty?
Unread 07-23-2010, 05:45 PM   #13
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roos85 View Post
Well can someone elaborate a little and let me know what is included in the powertrain warranty? Thanks
Here is what is covered in the lifetime powertrain warranty. I would assume this is the same as what would be covered in a 5/60 powertrain warranty

Lifetime Powertrain Warranty

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
JK Wrangler , questions , warranty , warranty questions , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.