Warn 9.5 winch in a stock JKU Bumper ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Warn 9.5 winch in a stock JKU Bumper ?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 12-06-2012, 08:04 PM   #1
backwash
2013 JK Wrangler 

Warn 9.5 winch in a stock JKU Bumper ?

I took my Warn 9.5 winch off my LJ and would like to use it on my 2013 JKU Rubicon. Somewhere I found a few threads where guys have mounted their winch upside down . I don't want it upside down being as tall as it it. Anyone know if this is possible?

OME 2 1/2 Lift, BFG A/T 32x11.5 ,AR Diamond locks. JKS Quicker disco's. Kilby Skid. Cobra 75. Rokmen sliders. ARB Front and rear. Hansen bumper. Warn 9.5ti winch. Currie trackbar,Skid row engine & gas tank skids
Nth Degree tummy tuck, 1" BL
backwash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2012, 01:54 PM   #2
TSOffroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwash View Post
I took my Warn 9.5 winch off my LJ and would like to use it on my 2013 JKU Rubicon. Somewhere I found a few threads where guys have mounted their winch upside down . I don't want it upside down being as tall as it it. Anyone know if this is possible?

You've got two things that will prevent you from doing a hidden winch on the stock bumper.

1. The Vaccuum assist pump on the drivers side frame horn. This isn't a reason it couldn't be done, as several companies make pump relocation kits. But, it is something to consider.

2. Your rubicon electronic sway bar disconnect motor. It's right in the way of where your winch would be stuffed. Again, if you removed this and went with a non-disconnect sway bar, then you could consider it.

Beyond the above, if your 9.5 has the "integrated" controller on the top of the winch like this it won't fit in the space:

If you have the "remote" control box like this, assuming the modifications I mentioned above, you could pull it off:

It ends up looking something like what we did on our JK years ago:

Otherwise, you can always upgrade

Addendum: Just looked at your signature....seems you have the TI, which is integrated. You'd be hard pressed and lots of modification to make that one work. And I'd be afraid you would damage the controller from the debris that gets up in there...
TSOffroad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2012, 02:00 PM   #3
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

Question about the mounting...what is that attached to? Because I see OEM bumper winch plates costing a couple hundred bucks on quadratec and the like. Are those not necessary?
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2012, 02:33 PM   #4
TSOffroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godholio View Post
Question about the mounting...what is that attached to? Because I see OEM bumper winch plates costing a couple hundred bucks on quadratec and the like. Are those not necessary?
A few minutes of grinding on a cheapo harbor freight $50 winch plate:

Unread 12-07-2012, 04:34 PM   #5
backwash
2013 JK Wrangler 

Yea mine is the 9.5 ti, I should have mentioned that. I was hoping to keep the winch low enough to not block the radiator. That was part of the problem I had with my LJ when I towed my camper. I can buy a new bumper but I was hoping to tuck it out of the way.
OME 2 1/2 Lift, BFG A/T 32x11.5 ,AR Diamond locks. JKS Quicker disco's. Kilby Skid. Cobra 75. Rokmen sliders. ARB Front and rear. Hansen bumper. Warn 9.5ti winch. Currie trackbar,Skid row engine & gas tank skids
Unread 12-07-2012, 04:50 PM   #6
mw3

Anyone know if any of the new Warn winches will NOT fit on the "winch capable heavy-duty bumper" that comes on the 2012 Wrangler Unlimited Call of Duty?
winch-capable-bumper.jpg  
mw3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2012, 06:44 PM   #7
TSOffroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwash View Post
Yea mine is the 9.5 ti, I should have mentioned that. I was hoping to keep the winch low enough to not block the radiator. That was part of the problem I had with my LJ when I towed my camper. I can buy a new bumper but I was hoping to tuck it out of the way.

And you certainly can....

Unread 12-07-2012, 07:41 PM   #8
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSOffroad View Post
A few minutes of grinding on a cheapo harbor freight $50 winch plate:

I didn't even think about HF. The winch I'm looking to get has the integrated solenoid, but I don't have a problem cutting the plastic on top of the bumper if that's all that's in the way.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2012, 09:10 AM   #9
backwash
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mw3 View Post
Anyone know if any of the new Warn winches will NOT fit on the "winch capable heavy-duty bumper" that comes on the 2012 Wrangler Unlimited Call of Duty?
Good point, how do they get around the problems mentioned with that bumper. The COD Jeep is a Rubicon so it has the same problems, right?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.