Wanting largest shackles possible on Rugged Ridge stinger/bumper... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Wanting largest shackles possible on Rugged Ridge stinger/bumper...

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineYou Pick the Size and Style of Lift Kit. We will Find you

Unread 02-07-2015, 07:40 AM   #1
Neo1130
2009 JK Wrangler 

Wanting largest shackles possible on Rugged Ridge stinger/bumper...

Got the Rugged Ridge winch bumper with stinger and stubby ends. Now I am needing to get the shackles but not sure on size. They offer 3/4", 7/8" and even 1" pin diameter shackles. The hole in the stinger where the shackle mounts is every so slightly under 1". I don't have my calipers available since I've moved recently but I would say the hole is around .925" to .950"... I keep seeing that the 7/8" shackles have a 1" pin and sometimes don't fit... Can anyone help me out? I don't want to get to small of a shackle and have it flop around....

Neo1130 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2015, 08:12 AM   #2
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Get some 3/4" shackles and keep them in your recovery box--

No reason to leave them on your bumpers and available for theft/weather degrade/noise-

Good luck

JIMBO
JIMBOX is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2015, 08:15 AM   #3
79cj7amc304auto
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX
Get some 3/4" shackles and keep them in your recovery box-- No reason to leave them on your bumpers and available for theft/weather degrade/noise- Good luck JIMBO
Now there's a brilliant idea. Heading outside to remove my shackles right now.
79cj7amc304auto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2015, 08:21 AM   #4
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Heh Heh, thanx 79cj, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79cj7amc304auto View Post
Now there's a brilliant idea. Heading outside to remove my shackles right now.
It ain't brilliant, years ago I just got tired of the shackle noise and since my use ofem was-seldom, I just decided to keepem inside--along with the HiLift-

That just keepsem outta the weather/theft beckoning and noise reduction-

Whatever !

JIMBO
Unread 02-07-2015, 08:31 AM   #5
Neo1130
2009 JK Wrangler 

I was going to keep them tucked away until needed. I just was more worried about the slop when trying to recover. The more slop if and when a situation comes to jerk using shackles, the more chances there are to break something. So the 7/8" won't fit in the holes? As I said, I am getting a ton of conflicting info when I google it...

I am seeing as the 3/4" shackle has a 7/8" pin... A 7/8" shackle has a 1" pin and so on... Again, the 1" pin size is what I want IF it will work.... Unless that slop is actually something that's wanted...
Unread 02-07-2015, 08:36 AM   #6
JohnRodriguez
1989 YJ Wrangler 

shackles aren't measured from the pin diameter. the measurement is taken on the diameter of the curved part. Crosby is the only manufacture that you can use the advertised measurement as the real pin diameter. the 5/8 Crosby shackles I use are rated at 4 1/2 tons and the 1" around 12 tons.
89 Wrangler, 2.5L TBI, D30 Truetrac 4.56 gear front, Super 35 4.56 gears rear, 31" BFG Mud's, 15x9" weld racing pro-stars XP's, 2.5" rancho and 1.25" shackels, superior axles. rear wilwood disc brakes

2008 wrangler x unlimited. Stone white. Motech 5.3L LS Chevy
JohnRodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2015, 08:38 AM   #7
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Well, keep in mind that under recovery, the shackle will not have any slop, because it'll be under constant tension/pressure, to maintain the pin/hole contact and

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo1130 View Post
I was going to keep them tucked away until needed. I just was more worried about the slop when trying to recover. The more slop if and when a situation comes to jerk using shackles, the more chances there are to break something. So the 7/8" won't fit in the holes? As I said, I am getting a ton of conflicting info when I google it...

I am seeing as the 3/4" shackle has a 7/8" pin... A 7/8" shackle has a 1" pin and so on... Again, the 1" pin size is what I want IF it will work.... Unless that slop is actually something that's wanted...
Sometimes when a HEAVY DUTY recovery is needed, both shackels on the SAME bumper are "trussed" together, to split the load-

Any slop that you experience is only gonna wear the bumper BKT paint off, over years of use--No Problemo !

Maintain-

JIMBO
Unread 02-07-2015, 02:32 PM   #8
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

There are also rubber gromlets you can purchase that go on the pin on each side of the attachment point and keep the D ring tight and rattle free.
Unread 02-08-2015, 07:26 AM   #9
Neo1130
2009 JK Wrangler 

For those curious about this, 7/8" shackles will not work on a Jeep Rugged Ridge bumper. 7/8" are for large trucks and 3/4" are for Jeeps. That is how Rugged Ridge explained it anyways. Thanks for the info and help guys....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.