Want warmer floor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Want warmer floor

WIN a set of Mammoth Boulder Wheels at ExtremeTerrain.com!Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidTruck & Jeep Fest 2015 - Edmonton

Unread 03-12-2015, 01:15 PM   #1
foolery

Want warmer floor

Hi all....
Have a 2008 JK.... here in Ontario it's been a cold winter....
Has any insulated floor to keep cold and drafts out?
What did you use or how was it done?

foolery is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2015, 02:44 PM   #2
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

I wear socks and shoes in the winter.

Seriously, do you not have carpeting on the floor? If not, look into getting some automotive carpeting laid. It should have insulating material underneath it.

i.e.: http://www.quadratec.com/products/14051_830X_PG.htm
"Boing Clash Boom!" - Dada Life
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2015, 03:01 PM   #3
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Have you reached down there and felt for hot air coming out of the floor ducts?
Mine gets so hot I have been afraid it would melt some of the plastic in the area. Never has melted anything, but it was hot enough to make me concerned when I first noticed it.

And, even when it's far below 0F, I end up turning the heat back to between 1/2 and 3/4 scale on the dial.
Unread 03-13-2015, 06:53 AM   #4
foolery

heat works good but must be on HIGH.... when its 20F and your on the highway heat can barely keep up.....
Unread 03-13-2015, 07:04 AM   #5
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolery View Post
heat works good but must be on HIGH.... when its 20F and your on the highway heat can barely keep up.....
Do you get HOT air out of the upper vents?
Unread 03-13-2015, 08:22 AM   #6
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

Foolery - you may need to flush that heater core... 200 degree air is 200 degree air no matter what the outside temp is! Or in other words - once your engine is warm that air (even if only getting to 100 - half the coolant temp) - should bake you out on high!
Unread 03-13-2015, 08:56 AM   #7
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

WOW, the JK heater is usually un-coolable-

DO you have the temp knob all the way CLOCKWISE/FAN KNOB TO THE RIGHT and select knob to feet ?

When it's cold in Nv, I can barely turn the vent fan on/w heater sel on--it gets HOT !

Good luck

JIMBO
JIMBOX is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2015, 09:28 AM   #8
Cropduster23
2012 JK Wrangler 

Coldest weather I have been in with my 2012 JKU is -34F. I know there are places that get colder, but 34 degrees below zero is bone chilling cold. Once my Jeeps engine is at operating temperature, the heater blows so hot that I honestly think someone could burn themselves if they left a hand in front of the vent for too long. I have never had a vehicle with such a good heater. Very rarely do I ever run the fan over 3-4 "clicks" on the dial. I've never run my soft top past October or before April, but I really feel like the heater would be adequate even with the soft top on in Northern Michigan winters.
Cropduster23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2015, 12:30 PM   #9
JLH
2015 JK Wrangler 

If you want to insulate the floor sheet metal I would recommend looking at RAAMaudio or Second Skin Audio products. Call both of them up and tell than what you want to accomplish and they can suggest which one of their products will best meet your needs. That being said, I agree with the other guys saying the heater should be hot enough to run you out of the vehicle. The heater core might need to be flushed.
Unread 03-20-2015, 01:16 AM   #10
FROZEN_INUK
2008 JK Wrangler 

I come from farther north and I find the problem is with keeping heat up top, -60c is hard to keep warm with a 4dr our "redneck" solution was to totally cover the front grill with cardboard God knows how our Canadian winters can be like but the heater in the Jeep isn't built to take the abuse and constantly switch between defrost and floor/defrost ahahah my poor passengers in the back seat end up freezing to death, I have carpeting in the Jeep (horrible idea where I'm at I want to rip them out) and find its partly cause of the floor matt being made of what ever rubbery thing its made of that takes and stores cold like crazy and our boots cold as hell ain't helping much
FROZEN_INUK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2015, 08:15 AM   #11
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

WOW, I apologize for my comments about Nevada--

Quote:
Originally Posted by FROZEN_INUK View Post
I come from farther north and I find the problem is with keeping heat up top, -60c is hard to keep warm with a 4dr our "redneck" solution was to totally cover the front grill with cardboard God knows how our Canadian winters can be like but the heater in the Jeep isn't built to take the abuse and constantly switch between defrost and floor/defrost ahahah my poor passengers in the back seat end up freezing to death, I have carpeting in the Jeep (horrible idea where I'm at I want to rip them out) and find its partly cause of the floor matt being made of what ever rubbery thing its made of that takes and stores cold like crazy and our boots cold as hell ain't helping much
That is not to close to your environment and I can imagine your traveling in that temp-

You might look into thermal-acoustic insulation, I've used it in Nevada for over 5 years and it makes the JKU comfy in HOT summer (115*) and cold---07--

That doesn't come close to your minus temps, but it could make the diff.-

Good luck-

JIMBO
JIMBOX is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2015, 08:37 AM   #12
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Assuming the heating system is working to capacity, it sounds like you need an aux heater in the JK.

Unread 03-20-2015, 09:58 AM   #13
VICTIM_OF_PAIN
2008 JK Wrangler 

Make sure all weather stripping around your doors is intact. I feel a cool breeze on right turns, turns out my weather stripping on one door is shot.
VICTIM_OF_PAIN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2015, 12:42 PM   #14
avatheredjeep
2013 JK Wrangler 

I have bedrug. i live in Hawaii so I don't remember exactly what cold means but I think it'll help you.
avatheredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2015, 11:02 AM   #15
foolery

I do keep heat on to high most of the time. Heater core has been replaced and Hot air does flow well. It's like a draft down low. A lot in centre console. You can feel the draft.
On the highway it is worse.
Takes 10 minutes to heat up.
New thermostat installed.
Think I will pull console and see if there is an air leak around 4x4 linkage or transmission cut outs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.