Want comments on Brake Shoe replacement - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Want comments on Brake Shoe replacement

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

View Poll Results: Pads only, or rotors and pads...
Replace pads only 7 53.85%
Turn rotors and replace pads 5 38.46%
What, who needs brakes? 1 7.69%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 08-20-2013, 04:50 AM   #16
jrmars07
2010 JK Wrangler 

What brand of pads you going with Rocky?

Tera Front Lower Controls Arms, Rear Upper Control Arms, Synergy HD Balljoints
Tom Woods 1310 Driveshafts
33" KM2's on ProComp 7069 16x8's
Superchips Flashpaq
AEV Premium Front Bumper, IPF 900XSD Lights, Warn 9.5ti w/ Synthetic Line
AEV Rear Bumper, Tuffy Security Deck
D30 Front Sleeved and Gusseted, RCV's, ARB Locked
4.88 G2 Gears
D44 Rear ARB Locked, Chromoly Shafts[/CENTER]
jrmars07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 10:17 AM   #17
David_M

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyClymer View Post
I have decided on either turning them or getting new rotors...the sloted and/or drilled rotors look mighty good to me.
I'll offer one tid bit of info that you may or may not be aware of which could factor into your decision. Getting your rotors turned at a place like AutoZone or equivalent parts house is not the same as getting them turned at a real machine shop. The difference is in the care and attention to detail the person operating the lathe gives to the job. Example: Every rotor has a minimum thickness allowed. Assuming your rotors have never been turned and you did not groove them due to metal to metal contact between rotor and worn pads. The proper way to do the job is measure the run out (amount rotor is warped) and cut just that amount. Enough to have a clean smooth surface from edge to edge. A knucklehead who doesn't care about you or your rotors will just cut them down to slightly more than the minimum thickness to save time. The major down side to this is the thinner your rotors are the more prone to warping they become. That's when you begin to feel the wiggle in the steering wheel when braking or pulsating on brake pedal.

So long story short, I'd recommend replacing with new rotors. Cause what a true machine shop will charge you to turn them is so close to what you will pay for new replacements. Good luck to you either way!

David M
Unread 08-20-2013, 03:23 PM   #18
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Looking at a ceramic pad like EBC and slotted and drilled rotors from Quadratec.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.

Last edited by RockyClymer; 08-21-2013 at 01:32 AM.. Reason: crappy iphone editor...
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 07:12 PM   #19
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Looking at a ceramic pad like EBS and slotted and dried rotors from Quadratec.
You'd have better luck with Black Magic brakes or Napa Premium stuff being as your in CO.Drilled rotors are just for looks and can actually make braking worse.
Unread 08-20-2013, 09:53 PM   #20
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I have decided on either turning them or getting new rotors...the sloted and/or drilled rotors look mighty good to me.
Slotted and drilled rotors are designed primarily for vehicles that brake often and hard - like a race car braking from 120 to 70 sixty times in 30 laps over 20 minutes - very short cool down cycle. They look cool so have made it to street rods and other HP applications. I can't see a JK needing slots or cross drilled.... the slots and drills actually reduce contact area in sacrifice for the cooling between cycles that a race car needs. In other words 70 to zero braking is sacrificed in exchange for better 150-70 braking... I wouldn't use slots or drills on anything on the street - except a show car.
Unread 08-20-2013, 11:00 PM   #21
Magatetzz
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002

You'd have better luck with Black Magic brakes or Napa Premium stuff being as your in CO.Drilled rotors are just for looks and can actually make braking worse.
Drilled and or slotted rotors do actually provide better cooling, but at the cost of wearing the pads much faster. Think of the edges of the holes or slots as a plane on wood. These are far better suited for fast and heavy repeated braking, essentially only really necessary for racing.

Best gas milage from my Jeep to date: The time I pushed it across the lot at work.
Magatetzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 01:34 AM   #22
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for info John and M....I will rethink and consider just some OEM rotors and good ceramic pads...when it comes to EBC pads, what color?
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.