Wanderlust, TheBoss's JKU build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Wanderlust, TheBoss's JKU build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 02-22-2013, 04:12 PM   #1
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

Wanderlust, TheBoss's JKU build

You have all helped and entertained me with all your builds ,so I thought it was time to reciprocate. For your viewing pleasure is the slow build up of my 2012 JKU sport. She came to be from a trade in of our 2011 JKU sport that served us well and took us on some great road trips. This is the first vehicle that I sat down checked off the boxes and waited for delivery from the plant. 24s package, 3.6L Pentapower, 5sp auto, 7 speaker stereo system,3.73 gears with trac-lock rear.

Here she is on the day of delivery(if you look on the rack inside you can see my white 2011). I kept the wheels and tires from the 2011.
jeep-day-1.jpg

From there stock wasn't going to last so an AEV 2.5" Dualsport suspension lift was ordered from Northridge4x4.
jeep-lift-install-001a.jpg
001a.jpg

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2013, 04:31 PM   #2
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

Spring comparison
jeep-lift-install-006a.jpg
Always resourceful I found a use for the old springs immediately...pizza table
jeep-lift-install-008a.jpg

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
Unread 02-22-2013, 04:51 PM   #3
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

More lift install photos
rear trackbar install
jeep-lift-install-010a.jpg
jeep-lift-install-011a.jpg

The Lod midwidth bumper goes on next, but an engineer figured this was a good place to put the brake vacuum module??
winch-patterns-001a.jpg

Bracket needed to be removed for the bumper to fit ,painted and pretty.
winch-patterns-004a.jpg

An OR Fab relocation bracket was used to relocate the pump to the engine bay. Easy install and this is probably the best kit out there IMO.
winch-patterns-007a.jpg

And on goes the bumper. This is the third JK I've had it on so it went really easy. All cleaned up and resprayed with VHT rollbar and chassis paint.
winch-patterns-009a.jpg

Unread 02-23-2013, 09:21 AM   #4
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

Modified the shattybilt rails I was unimpressed on the look and functionality of them but not about to spend more money on a rail yet.
130.jpg
356.jpg
On to the chopping block for some trimming of the fat.
jeep-jewelry-003a.jpg
Cut and ready for some welding to seal up the holes.
jeep-jewelry-006a.jpg
Prepped and painted with Rustoleum bedliner and reinstalled with help from my lovely assistant.
jeep-picts-004.jpg
jeep-picts-003.jpg

Unread 02-23-2013, 10:13 AM   #5
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Looks nice man, starting with a brand new vehicle sounds like a scary proposition considering what we put them through. I'm assuming the pentastar is what motivated the purchase. 3 JK's???..... I'm so attached to my little 2.5 TJ, even the thought of getting something different becomes an emotional affair. And this is coming from a guy who's owned over 20 vehicles in the last 10 years. Your Jeep is very nice though, love the white.
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2013, 10:35 AM   #6
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

Thanks, Well after over 20 vehicles in 24 years I TRY not to get too attatched. The pentastar and 5spd auto was definately the reason for the trade in. After traveling Route 66 from Chicago to Cali. and back with the 2011 I had enough of the weak 4spd auto.There were several times I thought it was going to downshift into oblivion. Pulling the trigger on a lift I knew I wanted one that would ride well on the long haul and do well on the trail. After seeing the AEV lift work on 222Doc 's 2012 JkR in Moss Wash ,AZ I figured with some add ons it would work well.

Unread 02-24-2013, 07:04 AM   #7
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

My order from Northridge 4x4 arrived.
001a.jpg
Nitro sleeves, Synergy C-gussets, Synergy trackbar-sector shaft brace, JKS frame mount trackbar brace, JKS stabilizer relocation.
003a.jpg
I had a chance to paint the brackets with weld through primer. I'm still waiting on my front trackbar, so this should keep them from flash rusting.
jeep-picts-005a.jpg

Unread 02-24-2013, 12:10 PM   #8
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

Looks good so far. I just saw the thread and enjoy your constructive responses on the JK area so here I am. If you ever need a hand, I'm north of the state line but wouldn't mind coming down to help out.

1998 TJ Sahara Sold
-3.25" RC spring lift, Eagle alloys 125s, 33x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, XRC8 winch with stock bumper mount

1994 YJ SE Sold
-4" RC spring lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone M/Ts, Eagle alloys 125, and a 4 cylinder to boot

1960 Willys Wagon
-Going to be restored and painted Omaha Orange

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."
-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
442Wrangler is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2013, 05:25 PM   #9
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442Wrangler View Post
Looks good so far. I just saw the thread and enjoy your constructive responses on the JK area so here I am. If you ever need a hand, I'm north of the state line but wouldn't mind coming down to help out.
Hey thanks, It's been a slow build but I wanted to establish a time line of sorts before it gets too far. I'm anxious to get into the axle whenever the trackbar gets here I want try and bang it out all at once.

I think we all try to put in our 2 cents around here ,I think we all learn as we go. I try not to get too wrapped up in the produuct grudge matches and all. Thanks again and I appreciate the offer on the help if I get in a bind I may just take you up on the offer.

Unread 02-25-2013, 06:57 AM   #10
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

Love to learn.... Nice progress so far!
Unread 02-25-2013, 07:19 AM   #11
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue7 View Post
Love to learn.... Nice progress so far!
Thanks Blue! It's an endless journey

Unread 02-25-2013, 09:32 AM   #12
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

BTW, you inspired me on the "C" gussets... thier on my list now! I want pics of that axle sleeve install, have fun, and remember to freeze those bad boys first.
Unread 02-25-2013, 10:46 AM   #13
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

Oh' yeah, I'll have them in the freezer a few days prior. Problem is the weather around here the axle tube will need to warmed up with a torch to make any difference. Still waiting on the trackbar

Unread 02-25-2013, 10:57 AM   #14
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post
Hey thanks, It's been a slow build but I wanted to establish a time line of sorts before it gets too far. I'm anxious to get into the axle whenever the trackbar gets here I want try and bang it out all at once.

I think we all try to put in our 2 cents around here ,I think we all learn as we go. I try not to get too wrapped up in the produuct grudge matches and all. Thanks again and I appreciate the offer on the help if I get in a bind I may just take you up on the offer.
Hey no worries. There are fanboys for everything and that's the great thing about forums, you hear about everything.

The problem for me is guys who haven't run anything that they bash.

Back to the build though!

1998 TJ Sahara Sold
-3.25" RC spring lift, Eagle alloys 125s, 33x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, XRC8 winch with stock bumper mount

1994 YJ SE Sold
-4" RC spring lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone M/Ts, Eagle alloys 125, and a 4 cylinder to boot

1960 Willys Wagon
-Going to be restored and painted Omaha Orange

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."
-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
442Wrangler is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 04:52 PM   #15
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

I found out my trackbar is another week out. I guess Synergy is backed up on manufacturing trackbars??

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.