wander after lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > wander after lift

Rugged Ridge 07-14 JK Sherpa Roof Rack available @ Oconee Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Great prices on seating!--Oconee Off-Road

Unread 10-24-2013, 11:13 PM   #1
dru_b
2008 JK Wrangler 

wander after lift

08 jkur - inatalled 2.5" teraflex lift with shocks, got sum duratracs mounted and an alignment.... jeep handles like crap on interstate. stock CA's all around. can worn CA bushings cause this? not its not front end components, theyre all brand new also. ive read toe in and castor can affect this greatly.

ANY OTHER IDEAS? im mid trip headed towards the denver, co area and would like to have someone there take a gander at the alignment #s again. not liking the idea of a 14 hr trip back home like this. Its sooper touchy......... a slight turn of the wheel creates sudden movements.

[size=3][color=silver]'08 JKUR - bright silver metallic[/color][/size] - auto - 2.5" TF spring : 33" duratracs : TF hd front trac bar : synergy tie rod bar, drag link & rear trac bar : superwinch : [url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/08-jku-rubi-1713162/][color=orange]dru_bcon "build" thread[/color][/url]
[size=2][color=white]'99 WJ limited, 4.7L v8[/size] - stone white clearcoat[/color] - a revival in progress - [url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/99wj-projekt-phoenix-1494105/][color=orange]projekt phoenix build[/color][/url]
[color=silver]'00 VW golf GTI, 1.8t - satin silver metallic[/color] - "silver arrow" - tastefully modded for quick & nimble
[color=blue]'12[url=http://surlybikes.com/bikes/pugsley/][color=blue] surly pugsley[/color][/url] - real blew w/[color=red]red accents[/color][/color] - 1x10 shimano slx, avid BB7 (red cables), marge lite wheels/red rimstrip, red oury grips & pedals
dru_b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2013, 01:55 AM   #2
spinlock

You need to adjust the Caster Angle.
spinlock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2013, 02:22 AM   #3
zjilla
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinlock View Post
You need to adjust the Caster Angle.
Is it a spring or bb lift? U hafta be running higher than 2.5 like the manufacter advertised. That or used to driving sports cars. Regardless...caster is ur answer.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using JeepForum
www.annirlane.blogspot.com
October 2013 JK of the month
My Slowly but surely JK build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/s...hread-1562595/
zjilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2013, 02:53 AM   #4
spinlock

Caster is not adjustable in stock form. You've got 3 ways to introduce a way adjust Caster:

1. Adjustable control arms; best solution, most flexible and most expensive
2. Drop brackets; reasonable solution for 2.5" lift, no adjustment but lower price
3. Cam bolts; bad solution, don't do it but the the cheapest

If you go with option 1, invest in some quality CAs. The cheapest ones have lousy bushings that fall apart.
Unread 10-25-2013, 05:47 AM   #5
04WJfreedom
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinlock
Caster is not adjustable in stock form. You've got 3 ways to introduce a way adjust Caster: 1. Adjustable control arms; best solution, most flexible and most expensive 2. Drop brackets; reasonable solution for 2.5" lift, no adjustment but lower price 3. Cam bolts; bad solution, don't do it but the the cheapest If you go with option 1, invest in some quality CAs. The cheapest ones have lousy bushings that fall apart.
. What is wrong with the cam bolts anyways? I hear everyone say don't get them? Is it just the bushings that go bad on them?.
4:88 Yukon gears
KOR Drive shafts
04WJfreedom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2013, 10:17 AM   #6
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Yup like everyone said, its probably caster for the biggest part of it. You will have more wandering from wider tires to. Nothing you can do about that.

Your options to fix it are very slim if you're on the road and don't have adjustable CA's.
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2013, 10:29 AM   #7
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

cam bolt; they take your stock lower front Ca mount and punch a rectangle in it, Then the cam bolt can be adjusted a bit for or aft. The issue is off road they tend loosen and in time ruin the rectangular hole. Then you have to replace the axle mount or weld in hardened washers.
Unread 10-25-2013, 10:34 AM   #8
rayder1

Sidewall height introduces some instability in vehicles. If you notice that racing vehicles on pavement try to use the lowest profile that still allows for heat dissipation. Your sidewall is a big flexible unit that, with increased temperatures and lower air pressure, tend to become more flexible and induce some wander in handling.

Your tread pattern also is a big factor in pavement stability. Off road, the surface of the trail (or lack thereof) and tread pattern dictates your handling more than sidewall height, unless you are aired down and trying to drive at high speeds.

Keep your tires aired to the max on the sidewall specs for pavement and you will maintain sidewall rigidity. When you pull off the pavement, air down for better contact with the trail or terrain.
rayder1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2013, 10:46 AM   #9
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayder1 View Post
Sidewall height introduces some instability in vehicles. If you notice that racing vehicles on pavement try to use the lowest profile that still allows for heat dissipation. Your sidewall is a big flexible unit that, with increased temperatures and lower air pressure, tend to become more flexible and induce some wander in handling.

Your tread pattern also is a big factor in pavement stability. Off road, the surface of the trail (or lack thereof) and tread pattern dictates your handling more than sidewall height, unless you are aired down and trying to drive at high speeds.

Keep your tires aired to the max on the sidewall specs for pavement and you will maintain sidewall rigidity. When you pull off the pavement, air down for better contact with the trail or terrain.
That is not what the the problem is, and you should not run the max PSI on the sidewall. Your just asking for uneven tire wear there.

I have run with 15 PSI in my tires on road before and there really is not big difference. His caster is out and the wider tires are grabbing onto the surface more. thats whats going on, its not the sidewall flexing.

OP, dont do this.

Quote:
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

Unread 10-25-2013, 11:01 AM   #10
dru_b
2008 JK Wrangler 

10-4 on the castor. tire pressure is good. headed to denver area any options for ajustable CA's in stock in that area?
[size=3][color=silver]'08 JKUR - bright silver metallic[/color][/size] - auto - 2.5" TF spring : 33" duratracs : TF hd front trac bar : synergy tie rod bar, drag link & rear trac bar : superwinch : [url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/08-jku-rubi-1713162/][color=orange]dru_bcon "build" thread[/color][/url]
[size=2][color=white]'99 WJ limited, 4.7L v8[/size] - stone white clearcoat[/color] - a revival in progress - [url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/99wj-projekt-phoenix-1494105/][color=orange]projekt phoenix build[/color][/url]
[color=silver]'00 VW golf GTI, 1.8t - satin silver metallic[/color] - "silver arrow" - tastefully modded for quick & nimble
[color=blue]'12[url=http://surlybikes.com/bikes/pugsley/][color=blue] surly pugsley[/color][/url] - real blew w/[color=red]red accents[/color][/color] - 1x10 shimano slx, avid BB7 (red cables), marge lite wheels/red rimstrip, red oury grips & pedals
dru_b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2013, 11:28 AM   #11
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

You could try 4 wheel parts and performance. they have a warehouse attached to their building for offroad parts. Not sure what selection they have. An added bonus is that they are right off I-70. Which is easy for you to get to.

Quote:

Unread 10-25-2013, 11:30 AM   #12
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

you will also need another alignment after you install them though. If you want help installing post up in the Colorado section. I know there are several people by there that would be willing to help you.

Quote:

Unread 10-25-2013, 11:31 AM   #13
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

ditto on COLOUXJ - Caster is the problem and needs corrected, also with larger tires and different rims/spacers your scrub radius is larger and will introduce some natural wandering. There are several places in Denver, I use High Country Performance 4x4 that has a decent stock of adj control arms...I am sure there are others around, Crawler Tech 4x4, Edgewater Jeep, 4 Wheel Parts, etc...google will find a bunch.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2013, 04:14 PM   #14
spinlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLOUXJ View Post
That is not what the the problem is, and you should not run the max PSI on the sidewall. Your just asking for uneven tire wear there.

I have run with 15 PSI in my tires on road before and there really is not big difference. His caster is out and the wider tires are grabbing onto the surface more. thats whats going on, its not the sidewall flexing.

OP, dont do this.
I agree that Caster is the problem and not sidewall flex. But at 15 PSI on the road you are below the proper load carrying ability of many tires unless you are in F-Z load range. Running low tire pressure will cause over heating of the tires and possible permanent tire damage which is worse than running max pressure which can wear the center of the tire disproportionally and deliver a harsh ride.

Low tire pressure will also lower your gas mileage.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.