vr8000 vrs. xrc8 comp - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > vr8000 vrs. xrc8 comp

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 08-18-2012, 12:38 PM   #1
toxicwaste29
2012 JK Wrangler 

vr8000 vrs. xrc8 comp

I am debating between these two winches. Any comments or suggestions. I want actual comments rather than people just saying to go for a warn.

toxicwaste29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2012, 02:45 PM   #2
GreenRenegade
2013 JK Wrangler 

Any particular reason you decided upon those two?
They just did a "Massive Multi-Winch Shootout" (http://www.fourwheeler.com/techartic...t/viewall.html) and the Engo E9000 did very good. With synthetic line, a 10k is still cheaper than the two you listed.

Anyways, not trying to sway you from your choices, just giving you some info...

Dan
Unread 08-18-2012, 02:50 PM   #3
toxicwaste29
2012 JK Wrangler 

I was looking at the engo and didn't like some reviews it received. The shootout didn't test smittybilt if i recall correctly and the reviews seem good for them. Thats why i was looking at that smittybilt. Then i was looking at that warn model because of cost. I am not looking at spending a lot of money. So the two models i chose seem like the best deal for the money. Your thoughts?
Unread 08-18-2012, 02:51 PM   #4
Natesjk
2007 JK Wrangler 

I can't comment on the xrc8 but I can on the vr8000. I bought it about 4 months ago and have probably used it a dozen times. Both pulling my self out as well as two stuck trucks. I've been more than impressed by it. Line pulls not the fastest but it gets me home. Hope this helps
-Nate
Natesjk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2012, 08:48 PM   #5
Joevacs
2010 JK Wrangler 

I just bought a VR8000 for my rear bumper. Haven't used it yet but I can tell you the difference. I have had more than my share of winches. The VR8000 is, by the look of it a chinese made Warn, which is disappointing but that is why it costs less. The main advantage of the Warn over the other chinese winches is the controller and the solenoids. I have another chinese winch ( don't remember the brand ) and it has a single solenoid that isn't all that impressive, and has failed once, and replaced under warranty. I also ordered one of the Quadratech winches a few months ago and the solenoid is not as good on it either. The Warn uses 4 solenoids, banded together with solid copper bars, where the others usually don't. It does make a difference in durability and power. Warn also has the best plug in for the controller that doesn't fail as often.
Solenoids are usually what fails on a winch, not the motor.
Unread 08-18-2012, 08:53 PM   #6
toxicwaste29
2012 JK Wrangler 

As of now i am looking at getting the vr8000. Just standard everything then upgrading the line and stuff later. I will likely mount it labor day weekend possibly and let ya'll know how it goes.
Unread 09-01-2012, 08:55 PM   #7
toxicwaste29
2012 JK Wrangler 

I installed the vr8000. Extremely easy for me, i didn't even have to worry about reading the installation manual. So far i haven't pulled anything with this winch but it seems well built.
2012-09-01_13-29-04_968.jpg  
Unread 09-01-2012, 10:19 PM   #8
LVCapo
The Voice of Reason

2013 JK Wrangler 

Ithat winch article is over a year old.

I had the Smittybilt XRC8....it was ok, did its job for. A couple years without issue...but you could tell it was a lot of plastic and cheap....but you get what you pay for.

I replaced it with the Smittybilt X20 Comp Winch w/synthetic line....it's a much more solid winch and remote. Very very happy with it. Very easy installation.

Engo was at the top of my short list, but at the time it was back ordered, so I took a chance on the new Smittybilt.
LVCapo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2012, 10:28 PM   #9
Spank
2012 JK Wrangler 

I do a lot of bashing on Smittybilt because of their low quality and poorly designed body armor for the JK, but I do have to say they make a decent winch. A friend of mine has one on his YJ that he's used countless times, it's rusted to hell and back, and it's never failed. I ran one on my last JK and used it a number of times and never had a problem. You can't go wrong with Warn, though.
Unread 09-01-2012, 10:39 PM   #10
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

I am very happy with the warn in my signature, but it sounds like that is more money than you want to spend. This is a superwinch that gets very good reviews and many forum members have positive comments about.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/92140_0212_07.htm

It's not as expensive as the warn in my signature, but is a bit more than the two you asked about.
Unread 04-01-2013, 09:37 PM   #11
toxicwaste29
2012 JK Wrangler 

Please delete this thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.