Void warranty - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Void warranty

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 05-11-2013, 12:49 PM   #1
jk13crush
2013 JK Wrangler 

Void warranty

I have a 2013 jk and I'm planning on putting a rockkrawler 2.5 xfactor lift on it and running 35s. Does this void my warranty?

jk13crush is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2013, 12:56 PM   #2
LVCapo
The Voice of Reason

2013 JK Wrangler 

're going to get a lot of varying opinions on this...but the short answer is you will only void your warranty of they can say that your modification caused the warrantied part to fail. The 35"s will be a point of contention with the axles, drive shafts, and transfer case.. The lift will be an issue with the driveshafts.
I've got the 2.5" stock mod with add ons and 33" Duratracs and havent had any issues with warranty work......but it'll come down to how slimey your dealership is and how you let them deal with you. If you go in knowing your rights and have a general idea what the issue with your vehicle is...the less likely they are going to try anything underhanded.
LVCapo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2013, 01:07 PM   #3
jk13crush
2013 JK Wrangler 

Thank you. Front axle will get Artec truss and gussets. are the drive shafts that much of a problem with 2.5 inches of lift?
Unread 05-11-2013, 01:07 PM   #4
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

you going to leave the 3:21 gears in it? If not would be thetime for lockers too. why pay for the same labor again? I think that lift has alot of drop so drive lines might be needed ina 2d the rear will be steep at drop. Y pipe mode andor front drive line to clear ypipe. again depending on shock lenght. you have 2.25 inch of drop over stock before that drive line will rub

As for the warranty. No/yes/ depends on what breaks, how you break it and the dealer. Off road they can pull the abuse card at will. The tires are not stock so that could effect anything up the drive line and be said to have lead to the what ever is up stream. I have heard of dealers flagging Jeeps that are modded as void. Some seem to try and help out as much they can. Its more a crap shoot in the end.
Unread 05-11-2013, 01:12 PM   #5
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk13crush View Post
Thank you. Front axle will get Artec truss and gussets. are the drive shafts that much of a problem with 2.5 inches of lift?
D30 might be a waist of money to sink truss and guss. I would just sleeve it at most and gussets. If you weld that truss on it, i would bet a beer they ruin the front seal and it will leak. You need to remove the front carrier, back to might as well regear it lock it. Your weak link on that d30 is the axles. 35 are pushing that d30 alot, at 18 i would bet you have a heavy right foot with a new Jeep to boot.
Unread 05-11-2013, 01:20 PM   #6
jk13crush
2013 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for your advice.http://www.artecindustries.com/JK-Fr...uss_p_312.html
Wouldn't you think this is cheap insurance for the c-nuckles? I would regear to 4.56 or 4.88 and I'm putting lockers in myself.
Unread 05-11-2013, 02:11 PM   #7
wranglerboy13
2012 JK Wrangler 

On the gear subject. 4.56 is as deep as you are going to want to go unless 37's are in your future indefinitely. And even then, 4.56 is what I would go with. And just to be sure you know re-gearing and lockers are part of the same process. So getting someone to re-gear the jeep and then you put in lockers does not make any sense. I vary well could have mis-interpreted what you were saying so dont' be insulted . And if you are re-gearing yourself, good for you! I would like to do the same thing maybe one of these days.
wranglerboy13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2013, 02:51 PM   #8
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

so you know how to set a gear set? have to tools needed. 37 and a d30 will break under most people. 37 on d44 is pushing that.

you must have deep pockets to have anew jeep and be able to do all this too. and know how to set a ring and pin. or you are a troll. no offence. Just say at 18 years old................

remember the start of this thread was a WARRANTY, now we are rebuilding a new jeep.
Unread 05-11-2013, 02:55 PM   #9
jk13crush
2013 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the advice on the gears I'm probably regearing myself. And I wouldn't run 37s with the Dana 30 up front.
Unread 05-11-2013, 03:00 PM   #10
jk13crush
2013 JK Wrangler 

I was wondering about the warranty and 35s originally and I know how to the gears and the backlash. I grew up in a garage. The plans for the 35s will happen over the next year or two. I go to school and just started a full time job. But now I know about the warranty. So thank you and thank you for the other advice too.
Unread 05-12-2013, 10:46 PM   #11
joe108
2003 TJ Wrangler 

My experience with the warranty and my local dealer was that they will try to get out of any and all work by blaming it on what ever they can. Mine had a 2" lift and they would not cover the driveshaft because it was "modified". However, in their lot were several lifted(4" to 6") jeep in their lot which they said were covered....
joe108 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 11:08 PM   #12
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

Having the dealership do the work is actually a workaround because it's their work.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 01:32 AM   #13
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Doing a re-gear is easy peasy as long as you are mechanically inclined and have the right tools. THAT is the expensive part. My ****ty dealer told me upfront (after I bought her) that I'd void the warranty with anything over stock tires. Two years now almost and she hasn't been back, regeared, locked up and and 35's. If you're concerned with warranty, you have to call the dealer. IMHO, if anything driveline-related breaks, it is just an opportunity for an aftermarket upgrade! Congrats and have fun!
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 06:02 AM   #14
rha600
2013 JK Wrangler 

See if you can find a dealer that is modify friendly. Mine is owned by a man that actually sponsors one of the local Jeep clubs and won't even deny warranty work on a Jeep with a 3.5" lift and 37s. Although I wouldn't be surprised if you totally thrashed it, they may.

One question I do have, is why would you buy a Sport/Sahara and then spend all that money upgrading axels, gears, etc? wouldn't it have been cheaper/easier to just buy the Rubicon? I can understand if you were throwing a set of 60's in there, then it would be cheaper to go with the sport.
rha600 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 08:44 AM   #15
JeepCares

Here's the "official" wording from the 2013 Jeep Warranty Manual regarding modifications:

3.1 Modifications Not Covered

A. Some Modifications Don’t Void the
Warranties But Aren’t Covered
Certain changes that you might make to your
vehicle do not, by themselves, void the warranties
described in this booklet. Examples of some
of these changes are:
• installing non-Chrysler Group LLC
(Chrysler) parts, components, or equipment
(such as a non- Chrysler radio or speed control);
and
• using special non-Chrysler materials or
additives.
But your warranties don’t cover any part that was
not on your vehicle when it left the manufacturing
plant or is not certified for use on your vehicle. Nor
do they cover the costs of any repairs or adjustments
that might be caused or needed because of
the installation or use of non-Chrysler parts, components,
equipment, materials, or additives.
Performance or racing parts are considered to be
non-Chrysler parts. Repairs or adjustments caused
by their use are not covered under your warranties.
Examples of the types of alterations not covered
are:
• installing accessories — except for genuine
Chrysler / MOPAR accessories installed by an
authorized Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep or Ram dealer;
• applying rustproofing or other protection products;
• changing the vehicle’s configuration or dimensions,
such as converting the vehicle into
a limousine or food service vehicle; or
• using any refrigerant that Chrysler has not
approved.

B. Modifications That WILL Void Your
Warranties
These actions will void your warranties:
• disconnecting, tampering with, or altering the
odometer will void your warranties, unless
your repairing technician follows the legal
requirements for repairing or replacing odometers;
or
• attaching any device that disconnects the
odometer will also void your warranties.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.