Violent front end shaking - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Violent front end shaking

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-10-2011, 04:52 PM   #16
lawnboys02
2007 JK Wrangler 

I've had the DW since Aug and started out occasionally driving 40mph on a road with a lot of potholes. Then months later 90 mph coming home from out of town the car started wobbling violently. Ever since it's been happening at slower speeds like 65 and even at 30mph. So I replaced the steering stabilizer shock and now at any speed no DW. It's not a smooth ride but i bought a Jeep not a Cadillac. Someone post in the forum that with every DW more suspension parts can start to fatigue. Take it for what it's worth.

lawnboys02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2011, 05:50 PM   #17
papaw
2009 JK Wrangler 

Mine would also stop after stabilizer shock replacements - but not for long.
papaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2011, 09:32 PM   #18
Hellbound13
2008 JK Wrangler 

I sugest everyone with this dangerous problem, report it here.. Jeep needs to built this **** out of better components, solid axle or not..

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/online.cfm
Hellbound13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2011, 09:11 AM   #19
papaw
2009 JK Wrangler 

Well, I think my DW has mostly been eliminated after re-torquing the trackbar. The passenger side of the trake bar was OK (125#) but the driver side of the bar was only 100 ft #. I re-torqued both to 130 ft lbs and have not had any excessive DW for the past 3 months although I can tell at times it would like to start after hitting a bump, it dissipates instead of getting worse. Hard to believe 30 ft lbs of torque could make that much difference but it apparently did.
papaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2011, 09:25 AM   #20
terrahawk
2007 JK Wrangler 

A steering satabilizer has ZERO...NADA to do with death wobble, hell, you don't even need one of the damn things if your suspension is set up correctly. It should never be a part of your solution.
Unread 07-18-2011, 12:42 PM   #21
WXman
2001 WJ 

I find it hard to believe that Jeep would go to the significant extra cost involved to put a steering stablizer on these things if they truly did nothing for the ride quality/handling. At $10 bucks a pop, or whatever they pay the supplier for them, times the hundreds of thousands of JKs sold... I don't see Jeep putting them on here just for looks.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2011, 01:46 PM   #22
ncb

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXman View Post
I find it hard to believe that Jeep would go to the significant extra cost involved to put a steering stablizer on these things if they truly did nothing for the ride quality/handling. At $10 bucks a pop, or whatever they pay the supplier for them, times the hundreds of thousands of JKs sold... I don't see Jeep putting them on here just for looks.
He was emphasizing that a SS isn't a cure for death wobble. It's there to dampen feedback while wheeling rocky trails or from bumps in the road.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2011, 02:49 PM   #23
terrahawk
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXman View Post
I find it hard to believe that Jeep would go to the significant extra cost involved to put a steering stablizer on these things if they truly did nothing for the ride quality/handling.
Think of a steering stabilizer like taking any kind of cold medicine; it doesn't cure the cold, it just masks the symptoms.
Unread 07-19-2011, 11:37 AM   #24
Avernar
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Steering stabilizer--zero impact. You don't even need one.
While a bad stabilizer won't cause DW, it will hide it until the DW damages the stabilizer. That's why most dealers think replacing the stabilizer "fixes" it. All that happens is the DW is hidden again until the new stabilizer dies but this time more damage has been done to other components.

My dealer replaced the stabilizer and I can still feel the front end trying to start the DW but the new stabilizer won't let it. I'm replacing most of my front suspension with a lift kit (springs are backordered ) which will truly cure my DW.
Avernar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2011, 01:03 PM   #25
williewvr
2013 JK Wrangler 

No lift can cure dw. It isn't the lift, it's stuff coming loose that causes it. Buy a torque wrench and learn to use it and say goodby to dw..dw is more noticeable in lifted jeeps but can occur even in stock solid axle jeeps and trucks. Number 1 cause seems to be loose tracbar ends.
williewvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2011, 01:46 PM   #26
Avernar
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by williewvr View Post
No lift can cure dw. It isn't the lift, it's stuff coming loose that causes it. Buy a torque wrench and learn to use it and say goodby to dw..dw is more noticeable in lifted jeeps but can occur even in stock solid axle jeeps and trucks. Number 1 cause seems to be loose tracbar ends.
Have a torque wrench, know how to use it and dw was still there.

I should have worded that last sentence better though. The lift kit has many new brackets and bolts which will replace any worn out ones. If the trackbar bushings are damaged I'll replace the trackbar as well while things are apart. That will cure my dw.
Avernar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
ball joints , shaking , steering , suspension , tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.