Violent front end shaking - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Violent front end shaking

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Even Better Heim Pricing! From RuffstuffToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake Line

Unread 04-30-2011, 12:26 PM   #1
curtpelky
2009 LJ Wrangler 

Violent front end shaking

Okay, Jeep Brothers and Sisters..... I am sick of this!!! So many of us have posted the same thing, between 30 and 80 miles an hour, the vehicle will begin to shake uncontrollably for no reason at all, it becomes imoossible to control. The first time it happened to our Wrangler X, I had it towed to the dealer who told the wife if was due to mud in the tires. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't that what the vehicle was designed for? The vehicle is stock, and I mean stock. It is washed weekly, from the ground to the top. There is no mud on this vehicle, and sadly, it never goes off road. The dealer said it might need new tires....(at 25,000 miles0?!, or new ball joints, or steering damper, etc. I don't know about the rest of you having this problem, but, I am filing a safety report with the NHTSA, and I suggest you do the same. There is a problem with these vehicles that needs to be addressed. I tell you, I am about a heartbeat away from jumping this thing through the front window of the Shottenkirk dealership and saying fix it! If you pay this much for a vehicle that is supposed to be a "Legend" it had darned well better do more than sit in the driveway and look pretty because you are afraid to drive it! I will start the paperwork, I want everyone have problems to follow up, please?! This needs to be addressed BEFORE someone gets hurt or killed, thank you. If I pay this much for a vehicle dammit, I demand it work.

Last edited by curtpelky; 04-30-2011 at 12:28 PM.. Reason: misspelling
curtpelky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2011, 12:37 PM   #2
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtpelky View Post
the vehicle will begin to shake uncontrollably for no reason at all
It happens for very apparent reasons. Everything happens for a reason. You need to understand those reasons and fix the problem. Death wobble has nothing to do with a defective axle or defective vehicle. It has to do with owners not understanding the cause and effect methodology. Your front end is very simple and the cause will become evident once you know how to get the problem area to rear its ugly head. The reasons for your front end not being able to control your tires are well-documented and all over the place. Do some research, quit relying on others to fix the problem, and get it done. Hint--your dealer's "might" list is wrong. You can't expect to get technical help from most dealership monkeys.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2011, 12:38 PM   #3
nam1
2010 JK Wrangler 

You should maybe double check a few things and don't count on the dealer for everything. Have a look here.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/d...bbles-1052221/
Unread 04-30-2011, 12:55 PM   #4
jerseyjeep01
2010 JK Wrangler 

The #1 cause of "death wobble" is caused by a loose, damaged or worn trackbar. I'll put my money on a bad trackbar bushing or wallowed out bolt hole.

Check this out:

http://youtu.be/mLfjnVMsVLQ

The New Build:
2010 2dr JK 6 speed...
jerseyjeep01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2011, 02:05 PM   #5
ncb

Every episode of DW will make the worn component(s) worse, or possibly break it. I would start with inspecting the track bar bushings/mounts and hardware torque. I haven't had DW, but when my JK was new the torque wasn't correct on the axle side bracket of the track bar. I'm rolling on a stock suspension, but I check the torque of the suspension hardware every oil change during the wheeling season.

Also, your profile should be 2009 JK.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2011, 02:33 PM   #6
07BlackOps
2007 JK Wrangler 

I agree, The death wobble or Violent shaking youre describing im sure has happened to ever Jeep owner. Its main cause like someone else has said is the trackbar being lose or the axle side bolt hole is wallowed out due to Jeep/Chrysler not fixing it with the correct size bolt and bushing. Mine was cause by a combination of Ball joints bad on opposing ends of my front steering/suspension and a bad steering damper/stabilizer as well as my idler arm end was starting to sag. I would definitely file your complaint as im sure the NHTSA is aware Jeep is aware of the issue and refuses to address the issue to properly fix the problem. There are numerous ways to cure the problem for the "long term", get better ball joints such as synergy suspension ball joints which are greasable. And an upgraded trackbar and trackbar frame mount. These are all things which may cost a bit of money right now but will certainly stop this from happening as frequently as youve experienced it.
And not to mention a far better quality steering stabilizer fox makes a great one and I believe bilstein makes one as well. After i had my deathwobble a week after getting my jeep I know now to cure it and eliminate it.
07BlackOps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2011, 02:46 PM   #7
jerseyjeep01
2010 JK Wrangler 

Mine was caused by the factory bushing on the frame side failing. Ordered a JKS adjustable from Dave and the problem disappeared.

The New Build:
2010 2dr JK 6 speed...
Unread 04-30-2011, 02:50 PM   #8
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Some facts on DW to clear up some misinformation you'll see across the web:

Alignment has very little impact--isn't a factor

Ball joints--not much of a factor. If they are extremely worn, they won't help the problem. But if the remaining front end components are tight and in good shape, you will not have DW. Minor wobbles, maybe.

Steering stabilizer--zero impact. You don't even need one.

TRE's--they can be loose, have play, and still contribute very little to DW

Tire balance--a tight front end with quality components can handle unbalanced tires without letting things get out of control. You'll have wobbles/bounce, but not DW. If something is loose or worn, especially a track bar or control arm end, the unbalanced tire(s) will cause DW. So, they aren't a cause. But if something else is wrong, they won't help the situation.

Sway bar link--zero impact. Doesn't have anything to do with axle constraining.

The MAIN cause of DW is a loose or worn control arm or track bar end. This is all from my experience and experimenting. Most others that have real experience with wobbles will agree.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2011, 02:55 PM   #9
bluegrassguitar
2011 WK 

Curtpelky, I understand your frustration and I think I would be "madder'n h*ll" at my dealer's service dept. if the technicialns were so ignorant that they could not diagnose the problem. When you pay close to $30,000 for a vehicle, even a Jeep, you expect it to work without major mechanical problems for way beyond 25,000 miles, especially if it's used exclusively on paved highways. If the trackbar is, indeed, the cause - and it has been documented that it usually is - then Jeep should address it and build the trackbar, bushings, ball joints, etc., to eliminate the issue. It is after all, supposed to be a rugged vehicle.
bluegrassguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2011, 06:00 PM   #10
curtpelky
2009 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks everyone for your help!
curtpelky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2011, 07:27 PM   #11
jerseyjeep01
2010 JK Wrangler 

Your welcome! Also, welcome to the forum! Stick around.

The New Build:
2010 2dr JK 6 speed...
Unread 05-05-2011, 04:26 PM   #12
papaw
2009 JK Wrangler 

The first DW I had was 4 miles from the dealer after picking up the JK brand new -28 miles. Had it back 3 times and they replaced shimmy dampener (stabilizer shock) three times. Each time it helps for a week or so then is just as bad - they are just masking the problem. I have rechecked all suspension bolts but am getting ready to do it again as the wife nearly refuses to drive it now. Had it nearly two years and only have 10,000 miles on it and just drive it from house to work.
papaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2011, 09:48 PM   #13
MrOrange
2009 JK Wrangler 

I'm guessing they're tightening everything up when they replace your stabilizer shock but they're either not getting the torque settings properly or one of the bolt holes is wallowed out on the trackbar. Tightening things up will temporarily help but eventually it'll work itself loose. Read the link nam1 posted. It's full of incredible information. My personal DW experience was a result of my trackbar not being torqued down properly on the axle side.
5.13 gears, ARB front locker, Currie front shafts
Bushwacker flat flares, Rubicon rails with steps added
MrOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2011, 08:10 PM   #14
Ajaxxx
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Some facts on DW to clear up some misinformation you'll see across the web:

Alignment has very little impact--isn't a factor

Ball joints--not much of a factor. If they are extremely worn, they won't help the problem. But if the remaining front end components are tight and in good shape, you will not have DW. Minor wobbles, maybe.

Steering stabilizer--zero impact. You don't even need one.

TRE's--they can be loose, have play, and still contribute very little to DW

Tire balance--a tight front end with quality components can handle unbalanced tires without letting things get out of control. You'll have wobbles/bounce, but not DW. If something is loose or worn, especially a track bar or control arm end, the unbalanced tire(s) will cause DW. So, they aren't a cause. But if something else is wrong, they won't help the situation.

Sway bar link--zero impact. Doesn't have anything to do with axle constraining.

The MAIN cause of DW is a loose or worn control arm or track bar end. This is all from my experience and experimenting. Most others that have real experience with wobbles will agree.
To say that the steering stabilizer has zero effect on death wobble is a very wrong statement. Although it does not INDUCE the instability, it DOES dampen the instability. I agree that it doesn't remove root cause, but for vehicles with a marginal DW, it prevents the DW from increasing dramatically in amplitude. For every terrible DW vehicle on the road, I'm sure there are 10 that aren't reported because the stabilizer is doing its job.

Alignment, ball joints, tie rod ends, tire balance and wear, sway bar links, and control arms are ALL variables in the steering system that DO affect the instability initiation, amplitude, oscillation frequency, and duration of death wobble. It's a complete system, and to say that certain components are not factors is dangerous. They are all capable of changing the dynamics of the steering system, which can and will affect aspects of DW.

To the OP, I agree that a new stock vehicle shouldn't exhibit this, and there IS a liability of the manufacturer and dealer to provide a vehicle that doesn't do this in stock form.
Unread 05-09-2011, 02:47 PM   #15
papaw
2009 JK Wrangler 

The Jeep was brand new but dealer raised 2 1/2". Just purchased torque wrench and will go over all bolts etc. I do carry 35# cold in the factory tires but that's what is recommended on the door plate.
papaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ball joints , shaking , steering , suspension , tires

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.