Viking fastback top for JK? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Viking fastback top for JK?

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 06-28-2009, 01:48 PM   #1
HWKJEEP
2008 JK Wrangler 

Viking fastback top for JK?

Has there been any update from Viking about when we might expect the fastback soft top for the JK? I am on their email list for updates, have not heard anything for a LONG time.

Any new news? I am thinking this is the top for me based on the TJ reviews, it looks awesome.

2008 JK Unlimited 4-door, Yellow, Hard Top, Manual
4/17/2008 Ordered, 4/21/2008 BX, 4/25/2008 D
5/22/2008 KZM, 6/4/2008 Delivered.
HWKJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2009, 04:24 PM   #2
TxJeepGuy2
2007 JK Wrangler 

I googled pictures of the Viking fastback top (only found pictures of it on Pre-JK Jeeps), but was curious....How would a Viking fastback top be different from the Bestop TrekTop?

3" lift - 35" Fierce Attitude M/T Tires

Last edited by TxJeepGuy2; 06-28-2009 at 06:19 PM.. Reason: correction
TxJeepGuy2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2009, 05:40 PM   #3
SaharaBlackNo1
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxJeepGuy2 View Post
I googled pictures of the Viking fastback top (only founds pictures of it on Pre-JK Jeeps), but was curious....How would a Viking fastback top be different from the Bestop TrekTop?
They use the factory soft top door surrounds to attach or they have in the past from what I was reading. IF that's the case on the new JK one I'd be interested, the ORH and Trektop just don't look completely right to me without the surrounds, but that's just my personal preference.
AEV: Hood, Skidplate & Bumper, jackstand and Badging Expedition One Rear Bumper,RE 4.5" Long Arm Kit,5.13s, Black Riddler Diff Covers, Hypertech Airaid CAI, PIAA 540s w/flush mounted switch, Flowmaster 40, 325/60/22 BFGs and the list goes on...
SaharaBlackNo1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2009, 02:41 PM   #4
dlmsduncan

new info on the website

viking fast back soft top

jk in spring 2010!
dlmsduncan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2010, 10:03 AM   #5
gsaxe
2007 JK Wrangler 

date

says tbd, guess their backsliding
gsaxe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2010, 12:06 PM   #6
JWA

Am I the only one who thinks that JK's with fastback tops look like Yugos? Particularly the two-doors.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2010, 01:58 PM   #7
gsaxe
2007 JK Wrangler 

looks good to me

If I couldn't afford the jk I'd get a vw thing
Unread 01-29-2010, 02:16 PM   #8
mattman8706
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Am I the only one who thinks that JK's with fastback tops look like Yugos? Particularly the two-doors.
I don't see it

My Build Thread
JK Tech
mattman8706 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2010, 04:59 PM   #9
ChicagoGuy
formerly VetteDriver

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Hmm -

vs.

Yes. You are the only one.
Unread 01-29-2010, 07:11 PM   #10
luckytaquito
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoGuy View Post
Hmm -

vs.

Yes. You are the only one.
you cant compare that thing to a jeep, but i still never liked the trek top design
luckytaquito is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2010, 07:44 AM   #11
SaharaBlackNo1
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsaxe View Post
says tbd, guess their backsliding
That's pretty recent too, because I looked at the site about 2 weeks ago and it was still Spring 2010. I was looking forward to seeing what they came up with. The only detail I'm not crazy about on the ORH or Trektop is the fact that behind the rear doors (unlimited) it sinks in, because they don't use a real frame, but the Viking design uses the factory door surrounds and I think would have really looked nice.
AEV: Hood, Skidplate & Bumper, jackstand and Badging Expedition One Rear Bumper,RE 4.5" Long Arm Kit,5.13s, Black Riddler Diff Covers, Hypertech Airaid CAI, PIAA 540s w/flush mounted switch, Flowmaster 40, 325/60/22 BFGs and the list goes on...
Unread 02-01-2010, 11:24 AM   #12
ChicagoGuy
formerly VetteDriver

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaharaBlackNo1 View Post
That's pretty recent too, because I looked at the site about 2 weeks ago and it was still Spring 2010. I was looking forward to seeing what they came up with. The only detail I'm not crazy about on the ORH or Trektop is the fact that behind the rear doors (unlimited) it sinks in, because they don't use a real frame, but the Viking design uses the factory door surrounds and I think would have really looked nice.
I'm not understanding how the door surrounds would change anything looks-wise. Can't speak for the Trektop, but the ORH top comes with it's own surrounds, and functionally they fill in the same space as the factory surrounds. They even fit in the same holes. It's just that the fabric mounts by wrapping onto those surrounds, and the factory surrounds are too wide to wrap around. There is a rear frame bar across the back as well.

Not arguing - it is just a preference thing, and I know some don't like the fastback style. I just don't see how the factory door surrounds would matter.

Unread 02-01-2010, 01:27 PM   #13
gsaxe
2007 JK Wrangler 

think the trektop has an internal bow at the top of the window, its all in the online installation instructions
Unread 02-01-2010, 01:36 PM   #14
gsaxe
2007 JK Wrangler 

my yugo story

in eire stuck at flooded out road lots of locals and tourists, lory dirvers and busses standing around, bout 60 yards across, farmer pulls up in what looks about like that yugo, steps out, takes off his boots, rolls up his pants, gets back in, backs up about 100 feet floors it hits the water going about 35 makes it about halfways, but guess what, it floats, he hops out and pushes it the rest of the way, gets back in and drives off. guess theres more than one way to skin a cat..........for a minute it looked like he'd get swept downstream but he was very stout
Unread 02-01-2010, 01:53 PM   #15
SaharaBlackNo1
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoGuy View Post
I'm not understanding how the door surrounds would change anything looks-wise. Can't speak for the Trektop, but the ORH top comes with it's own surrounds, and functionally they fill in the same space as the factory surrounds. They even fit in the same holes. It's just that the fabric mounts by wrapping onto those surrounds, and the factory surrounds are too wide to wrap around. There is a rear frame bar across the back as well.

Not arguing - it is just a preference thing, and I know some don't like the fastback style. I just don't see how the factory door surrounds would matter.

Arguments are always welcome with me. lol But in this case, I simply may not have explained what I was talking about well enough. So let me rephrase:
Look at a JK with the factory soft top up, with the door surrounds, the 4 or so inches just after the door are level with the door. On the TrekTop or the ORH top, it sinks in right behind the door. It's a nitpicky kind of visual preference thing on my part, but it's the reason why I'd like to see the Viking version.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.