vibrations at certain speeds - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > vibrations at certain speeds

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 07-01-2013, 08:43 PM   #1
AK49
2013 JK Wrangler 

vibrations at certain speeds

Looking for some ideas on why i'm getting vibrations at certain speeds. Vibrations will kick in from 10-20 and around 30-35 and 50-55. Coilover lift was installed along with 35" Toyo MT's and new driveshafts. Anything I can do to help narrow down the problem?

AK49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 09:55 PM   #2
Tbasham
2013 JK Wrangler 

Make sure the tires are properly balanced and your drive shaft angles are correct.
Tbasham is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 08:50 AM   #3
AK49
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbasham View Post
Make sure the tires are properly balanced and your drive shaft angles are correct.
Thanks! I had the tires balanced before going on. You think I should have them rebalanced? Also when the lift was installed, new 1350 drive shafts were also installed.
Unread 07-02-2013, 08:59 AM   #4
Tbasham
2013 JK Wrangler 

What size lift and do you have adjustable control arms?
Unread 07-02-2013, 09:02 AM   #5
C2U5H
2012 JK Wrangler 

have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth with the jeep on while you look at the components up front. looking for moving hardware or any component that seems to move within its mount. most likely your axle-side track bar mount. alignment's easy since we have knuckle to knuckle tie rods, so i'm assuming that's not it.
Will be missed:
1999 "Deep Amethyst" TJ +3" on 33's
C2U5H is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 09:07 AM   #6
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

No info on this in the profile , but I will put on my mindreading hat. Sounds like the start of DW. we are talking about the FRONT right? It is a Jeep cj-jk? Its old or new?

Why? Because a new Jeep we can safely say it is not the ball joints, tre's carrier bearing, drag link etc..

But we know you lifted something and put 35"s. Sounds like the lift is not installed correctly and or something wore out. Going 35"s brings out the unknown DW in used jeeps. If its new your install is off or the lift might be cr@p for the height. check all bolts, be sure to have tightened all suspension joints with the Jeep on the ground with the jeeps weight on it.

read the DW thread sticky
Unread 07-02-2013, 09:52 AM   #7
AK49
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
No info on this in the profile , but I will put on my mindreading hat. Sounds like the start of DW. we are talking about the FRONT right? It is a Jeep cj-jk? Its old or new?

Why? Because a new Jeep we can safely say it is not the ball joints, tre's carrier bearing, drag link etc..

But we know you lifted something and put 35"s. Sounds like the lift is not installed correctly and or something wore out. Going 35"s brings out the unknown DW in used jeeps. If its new your install is off or the lift might be cr@p for the height. check all bolts, be sure to have tightened all suspension joints with the Jeep on the ground with the jeeps weight on it.

read the DW thread sticky
My fault. Lift is an EVO 4" Long Arm with Coilovers. It's on a 13 JKUR. Driveshafts were also replaced the same time the lift was done. The vibration at 10-20 is most noticeable. The vibrations at 30-35 and 50-55 is very mild (can't even feel it through the steering wheel).
Unread 07-02-2013, 09:54 AM   #8
AK49
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
What size lift and do you have adjustable control arms?
It's a 4" evo long arm with coilovers. It's set at 3" right now. It does have adjustable control arms.
Unread 07-02-2013, 10:00 AM   #9
boon4376
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK49 View Post
Thanks! I had the tires balanced before going on. You think I should have them rebalanced? Also when the lift was installed, new 1350 drive shafts were also installed.
Some places just do a terrible job balancing tires... So it could be as simple as that.
boon4376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 10:56 AM   #10
Tbasham
2013 JK Wrangler 

Since you have the rubicon make sure both of your pinion angles are set and pointing right at the ouput of the transfer case. If your pinion angles are correct, that will eliminate your driveline as the cause, I doubht the driveshafts are out of balance since they are new.
Unread 07-02-2013, 01:26 PM   #11
AK49
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Since you have the rubicon make sure both of your pinion angles are set and pointing right at the ouput of the transfer case. If your pinion angles are correct, that will eliminate your driveline as the cause, I doubht the driveshafts are out of balance since they are new.
I took a few pictures of the driveshaft (sorry about the crappy quality. It's a pain getting a full shot of the entire front driveshaft. I'm completely confused about the angles. Does this look totally off?
dsc00476.jpg   dsc00478.jpg   dsc00479.jpg   dsc00480.jpg  
dsc00477.jpg

Unread 07-03-2013, 12:00 PM   #12
Tbasham
2013 JK Wrangler 

It looks like from those pictures your pinion needs to be angled up a little bit more. Here is a link to a picture that explains the whoel angle situation better. For your front and rear axles you will want them like ti shows in the picture for a CV driveshaft.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/un...angles-763367/
Unread 07-03-2013, 12:16 PM   #13
Tbasham
2013 JK Wrangler 

http://www.4xshaft.com/driveline101.asp

here is where that picture came from. Also this is a good read that will explain why you need adjustable control arms with that much of a lift. In theory you can drive like you are and just ignore the vibrations, you will just wear out your u-joints much much faster.
Unread 07-03-2013, 03:42 PM   #14
AK49
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
It looks like from those pictures your pinion needs to be angled up a little bit more. Here is a link to a picture that explains the whoel angle situation better. For your front and rear axles you will want them like ti shows in the picture for a CV driveshaft.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/un...angles-763367/

This is a stupid question...but if I adjust the lower control arms to set the driveline angles so they're more in line. Will it cause any issues (assuming there are no major drivability issues) if it takes a few days before I can get it to be realigned?
Unread 07-03-2013, 10:28 PM   #15
motoguy1251
2012 JK Wrangler 

Not to thread hi jack, but what are the stock drive shafts considered as. There is no U joints in the rear and just one on the front. So does that make both shafts a cv joint. ALso what should pinion angles be for various normal lifts: say- 2.5 to 3.5 in lifts?
motoguy1251 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.