Vibration at 50mph in OD only - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Vibration at 50mph in OD only

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-27-2013, 01:30 PM   #1
Neo1130
2009 JK Wrangler 

Vibration at 50mph in OD only

Hey guys, got my 2008 Rubicon about a month and a half ago and noticed that right at 48-51mph, I have a vibration that ONLY happens in OD which leads me to believe it's a trans issue. It isn't RPM related or speed related IMO basically because I will have the vibration going on and I'll hit the OD button to turn it off and the vibes go away... It's also only during light throttle like during a cruise up a VERY slight hill... Was thinking doing a fluid changed and filter change to see if that helps... Am I on the right track or is the trans going south soon? I might also add that this is MY first ever automatic....

Neo1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 06:20 PM   #2
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Do you have larger tires and no diff. regearing ??

Could possibly be engine load at 1800/1900 rpm and the MIGHTY 3.8l engine is "straining"-vibration-long before downshift

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 06:39 PM   #3
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyClymer View Post
Could it be a loose band in OD? An adjustment or visit to an auto tranny shop might help diagnosis....
No bands in the 42RLE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
Do you have larger tires and no diff. regearing ??

Could possibly be engine load at 1800/1900 rpm and the MIGHTY 3.8l engine is "straining"-vibration-long before downshift

JIMBO
This is a very good possibility. It's the main reason I keep the O/D off if I'm not on the highway, even if I'm at a speed limit of 55 mph with lots of long hills.
On the highway at 65+ mph, with O/D on, I will turn O/D off at the beginning of a hill because I know the computer waits too long to come out of O/D. This delay will lug the engine, then it's too late. The transmission will have to drop 2 gears in an effort to maintain speed on the hill. Taking it out of O/D at the beginning of the hill puts the transmission in 3rd gear, which gives the engine plenty of rpm to get to the top.

Another possibility is the torque converter clutch. There were issues with it a few years ago. It had to do with it not fully locking. Partial lock is achieved by modulating the pressure to the clutch. Sometimes it modulates at inappropriate times, creating a vibration. There was a flash for it, and if that didn't fix it, it required torque converter replacement.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 07:27 PM   #4
mello

I had almost the exact same issue and it was an exhaust vibration. Where the Rh pipe bolts to manifold was loose. An exhaust leak could not be heard or seen. The JK has a junk design for bolting exhaust to manifold, it uses these junk cage nuts. I tightened the bolts and they were loose in a couple days. I replaced with new bolts and nuts and it stayed tight. I could actually move pipe in flange with my hand with stock hardware.
mello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 09:05 PM   #5
Neo1130
2009 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the advice guys... It's bone stock except the Rusty's 2" lift... I will check the exhaust leak thing tomorrow as I do have a SLIGHT tick that sounds almost like an exhaust leak... As for the flash/torque converter... I THINK I read that it was flashed a while ago... When I get my superchips is it going to upgrade my PCM or TCM? My 2005 Magnum R/T got a factory update through Diablo so I was wondering if maybe Superchips did the same thing?! You had to update the OEM software in order to upload their software!?
Neo1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2013, 08:14 AM   #6
rirrgang
2007 JK Wrangler 

You mention OD, have you considered the lockup torque converter?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.