Using under body space - batter and/or air tank? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Using under body space - batter and/or air tank?

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-30-2009, 11:29 PM   #1
PrinceBondar

Using under body space - battery and/or air tank?

So, when I was under my Jeep changing the diff fluids the other day, I was admiring all that underbody space. I was wondering about using some of it for a second battery (I don't see any way to get one in the engine bay) and/or a small air tank (for example, Sears has a 135psi, 5 gallon tank for $25 - Craftsman 5 gal. Horizontal Air Tank, 135 psi), or possibly a PowerTank (CO2).

Thoughts?

Last edited by PrinceBondar; 08-30-2009 at 11:54 PM..
PrinceBondar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2009, 11:59 PM   #2
SaharaBlackNo1
2007 JK Wrangler 

Benchmark Designs makes an underhood dual battery kit:

I don't know that anyone has thought to run anything extra under their JK, especially a tank that probably wouldn't take too well to being beat up, considering the contents are under pressure. Although anything custom is always cool if done right. Most people seem to just end up mounting their air in the trunk area.
AEV: Hood, Skidplate & Bumper, jackstand and Badging Expedition One Rear Bumper,RE 4.5" Long Arm Kit,5.13s, Black Riddler Diff Covers, Hypertech Airaid CAI, PIAA 540s w/flush mounted switch, Flowmaster 40, 325/60/22 BFGs and the list goes on...
SaharaBlackNo1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2009, 12:07 AM   #3
PrinceBondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaharaBlackNo1 View Post
Benchmark Designs makes an underhood dual battery kit:
Hm....interesting. I don't see how they made the space. I'd love to see a writeup on that install. Update:$220?!?!!? Yowza! Pretty sure I could do a decent under body install for a lot less.

Quote:
I don't know that anyone has thought to run anything extra under their JK, especially a tank that probably wouldn't take too well to being beat up, considering the contents are under pressure.
Yeah, it would have to be suitably armoured of course - that's a given.

Quote:
Most people seem to just end up mounting their air in the trunk area.
Definitely not interested in that, for various reasons.
PrinceBondar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2009, 12:58 PM   #4
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

Definitely can't mount a Co2 tanks. Co2 Tanks can not be laid flat, they must be at 45-degree or more... Actually I'll re-word that before someone comes and corrects me They can be stored flat, but can not be used while laying flat.

So if you mounted a Co2 under there, you would have to lay it flat in order to fit, and then you would have to pull it out & stand it up anytime you want to use it. That would be very impractical.

Now as far as a 5 gallon air tank- completely useless unless you have an onboard compressor filling it. A 5 gal tank would maybe fill up one tire, so you would need a compressor to replenish it... And 135psi would be inadequate to run air tools (if that was the plan).

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2009, 02:46 PM   #5
dstephns
2008 JK Wrangler 

Somehow compressed gas canisters and the underside of a jeep make me nervous.
dstephns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2009, 02:50 PM   #6
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstephns View Post
Somehow compressed gas canisters and the underside of a jeep make me nervous.
Well, sounds like that wouldn't work anyway - so that just leaves the battery.
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2009, 10:35 PM   #7
Enforcicon
2007 JK Wrangler 

What about an axillary gas tank?
255/75R17 Goodyear Wrangler SR-A's on 17" Rubi Wheels, 4.10 Gears/Tow Package, 6" KC Slim Lights w/ Windshield Mount, Rugged Ridge Tubular Side Steps, Rugged Ridge Headlight and Tail Light Gaurds, Brushed Aluminum Grill Inserts, Cool Tech Switch Panel, CB Radio w/ 4ft FireStik
Someday: Shrockworks Bumpers Front and Rear, 2-3 inch lift, Winch, etc...
Enforcicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2009, 10:36 PM   #8
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enforcicon View Post
I can't even afford to fill up the tank I've already got.
Unread 08-31-2009, 10:41 PM   #9
Enforcicon
2007 JK Wrangler 

x2 on the cost of gas.
But I only get about 210 miles per tank (give or take) and I don't think I could say no to extending the range I can drive between fill ups.
255/75R17 Goodyear Wrangler SR-A's on 17" Rubi Wheels, 4.10 Gears/Tow Package, 6" KC Slim Lights w/ Windshield Mount, Rugged Ridge Tubular Side Steps, Rugged Ridge Headlight and Tail Light Gaurds, Brushed Aluminum Grill Inserts, Cool Tech Switch Panel, CB Radio w/ 4ft FireStik
Unread 08-31-2009, 10:47 PM   #10
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
x2 on the cost of gas.
But I only get about 210 miles per tank (give or take) and I don't think I could say no to extending the range I can drive between fill ups.
Yeah, I know. That was tongue in cheek (:

I'd love to have an aux gas tank. Probably wouldn't put it next to my aux battery though (:

I'd be more inclined to replace the stock gas tank with a bigger single tank. Going from memory - seems like there should be room to expand that sucker. I'd love to see someone do this mod so I could copy them (:
Unread 09-03-2009, 04:18 PM   #11
Enforcicon
2007 JK Wrangler 

Exactly how I feel. One larger tank seems like the way to go.
Unread 09-03-2009, 06:10 PM   #12
LHS-Cowboy
DETN8R

2008 JK Wrangler 

relocate the muffler and mount the air tank here... It is very out of the way. I have bent axles, knocked the rear bumper all over, bent my crossmember so bad I had to make a new one, broke rear shocks, etc. and this tank has been fine.

Installed:
R.E. Modified 3.5 Super Flex Kit to 4+/Ft. & Rr. U-joint driveshafts/Full Traction Rear Adj. Trackbar/Custom Ft. Heim Joint Adj. Trackbar/Rancho 9000XL shocks/Yukon 4.88 Gears & Superior Rear Axle Shafts/37" Pitt Bull Rockers on Custom Allied Beadlocks/Poly Perf. Rock Sliders/Shrockworks Mid Ft. & Rear Bumper/Custom Trans. Crossmember and Skid/Custom High Steer with PSC Hydro Assist/Plumbed Warn PowerPlant HP/Cobra 75 WS XT C.B./Bully Dog Programmer/Custom Exhaust/Dual Optimas/48" X-treme Hi-Lift Jack on Custom Rear Swing Away Carrier/...

____oooo
[ l_,[____],
l---L -[
OlllllllO]
( )_) ( )_)--)_)
LHS-Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2009, 06:13 PM   #13
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Nice mod!

That space on my jeep is reserved for storage area expansion though (:
Unread 09-03-2009, 06:55 PM   #14
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS-Cowboy View Post
relocate the muffler and mount the air tank here... It is very out of the way. I have bent axles, knocked the rear bumper all over, bent my crossmember so bad I had to make a new one, broke rear shocks, etc. and this tank has been fine.
yes, but you have a compressor feeding that tank, right?

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2013, 11:10 AM   #15
Josephus
2007 JK Wrangler 

Long Ranger Fuel Tank

Quote:
http://thelongranger.com.au/jklongra...k.html#TA64PHD

This is the Long Ranger secondary fuel tank with heavy duty skid plating.
It is designed to tuck up inside the framerail just like the factory OEM fuel tank. Although not quite double the capacity, it does significantly improve your range.
It utilizes a transfer pump, so we get to use the same filler cap.

http://thelongranger.com.au/jklongra...k.html#TA64PHD

Problem is $1600 before shipping and installation.

As my Rubi is already built to within 50 lbs of the GVWR, I couldn't install it yet alone fill it with fuel (legally) :'(

Using that same location you could mount a few air tanks and make a 1/4" steel skid plate to protect it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.