Using Rubicon shocks/springs on a Sahara--asked dealer for quote and got this reply - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Using Rubicon shocks/springs on a Sahara--asked dealer for quote and got this reply

BDS suspension IS AVAILABLE at Rockridge4wd!!!The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-22-2015, 11:41 PM   #1
sdebol
2010 JK Wrangler 

I have a stock 2010 Sahara Unlimited with 70K miles and it is essentially a mall crawler. Have read many positive posts about people buying Rubicon shocks and springs and installing them on their Saharas so I was planning to buy a 2014 Rubicon Unlimited set off Craigslist from a local guy who did a lift at 9000 miles. He's asking $50 for the set of shocks and springs. The dealer quoted me $925 just to install a set of new Sahara shocks so I figured this would be a good way to save some money.

I can do simple maintenance (fluid changes, tire rotation, etc) but not shock/spring replacement so I've been asking local shops and my local dealer for quotes to install them. This is how the dealer responded:

------
"I did some checking and this is what I was able to find out regarding the changing out of the shocks/springs from the Rubicon: It is possible that it can be done but there is no way for us to know if the mounts are the same on the vehicles. Also, there is the potential that the length of the brake lines could be a problem, and may have to be replaced with longer brake lines. Also, the trac bar on the front has to be checked to see if it can be adjusted. The estimate they gave me for labor was about $1000.00 + tax and shop supplies which is rough and doesn’t include any additional parts items that may be needed. They advised that the best thing to do was come in with your vehicle and the shocks/springs that you wanted to put onto your vehicle so that we can do an inspection and get the pertinent data figured out about the trac bar and brake lines. The inspection would be $59.99 + tax and shop supplies and would be about 45 minutes." -----

Is this info accurate? From the forum reading I've done, I had the impression that the only potential consequence of using the Rubicon shocks and springs was that the springs might result in a small lift (1/2-1"). Obviously it will defeat my attempt to save money on new Mopar shocks if I end up getting hit with the other charges the dealer has described above...

I also checked with a local 4x4 shop (I live in the Minneapolis area) and they quoted me $360 for the install. The only thing they cautioned me about was that I may end up with as much as a 3" lift. Don't really want that either. I've read about the different spring numbers, and that some may be stiffer than the ones on my Sahara Unlimited. I'm okay with that and a small difference in lift (less than 1 inch, I guess) but don't really want any other significant changes from my current stock setup.

Would appreciate any input and whether I should scrap this idea or not.

sdebol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2015, 12:35 AM   #2
Moezer
2015 JK Wrangler 

Lol they r taking u for a ride and seems like ur gonna bite turn around and run away!!!!!!

First off the rubi shocks and the sahara or sport r all the same size and have the same mounting brackets.

Second the only change between them is the stiffness that land the rubi shocks the stiffist

Third u do not need break line extentions nore a new track bar/adjustible

The same goes with the springs on all models the only change is the stiffness ratings

The sport comes in last with the lease stiffness, then comes the sahara thats in the middle dependimg if u order ur jeep with a tow package u might get stiff sprjngs the highist comes on most rubis and that is 60 rear and 18 fronts u can also get 19 fronts if u ask the dealer

The stiffness of the shocks and higher rating of the springs is what gives the ribi the lifted effect along with the 32 mud terrains that come on it

Theres tonnies of threads on how to swap the sprkgs on the nnet have a helping hand and have at it

And since u have an unlimited u might gain half an inch to an inch not 3 and really no loft as depending on the ratings u might gain hight over ur current setup cuz they r sagged
Moezer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2015, 04:25 AM   #3
zjilla
2007 JK Wrangler 

Hahaha. Run far away from that dealership. They are some idiots. Their response was sad to read. Sounds like they are charging you money for their lack of experience. Makes me wonder if they had ever done any maintenance to a jk before

Sent from my GT-N7000 using JeepForum
www.annirlane.blogspot.com
October 2013 JK of the month
My Slowly but surely JK build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/s...hread-1562595/
zjilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2015, 05:00 AM   #4
montero1
2010 JK Wrangler 

Is there a reason you want to replace the shocks? Are yours bad?
montero1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2015, 05:13 AM   #5
14Sport
2014 JK Wrangler 

Agree with those guys. But as far as how high a lift you end up with as a result of the new springs, it depends on where you are starting from and which springs you are putting in. Plan on .25" per spring number but all rigs are different. You may get a little more or a little less.

1. Look at your stock springs and write down the last 2 numeric digits from the tag.

2. Get the same info for the Rubi take-offs.

3. Subtract the stock numbers from the take-off's numbers and multiply the result by .25".

The tallest/stiffest springs for the fronts are 19s and for the rears are 60s. If you have 19/60s on there now you will see no lift for example, even a drop if the take-offs aren't 19/60s. If you have 14/56s on there now and get 19/60s, expect approximately 1.25" (19-14=5, 5x.25=1.25) in the front and 1" (60-56=4, 4x.25=1) in the rear.

I jeep therefore I am.
14Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2015, 07:56 AM   #6
sdebol
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by montero1 View Post
Is there a reason you want to replace the shocks? Are yours bad?
They're not bad yet--but from reading it sounded like it's not a bad idea to replace them around 80K no matter what and I happened to find these for sale.
Unread 01-23-2015, 07:58 AM   #7
sdebol
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Sport View Post
Agree with those guys. But as far as how high a lift you end up with as a result of the new springs, it depends on where you are starting from and which springs you are putting in. Plan on .25" per spring number but all rigs are different. You may get a little more or a little less.

1. Look at your stock springs and write down the last 2 numeric digits from the tag.

2. Get the same info for the Rubi take-offs.

3. Subtract the stock numbers from the take-off's numbers and multiply the result by .25".

The tallest/stiffest springs for the fronts are 19s and for the rears are 60s. If you have 19/60s on there now you will see no lift for example, even a drop if the take-offs aren't 19/60s. If you have 14/56s on there now and get 19/60s, expect approximately 1.25" (19-14=5, 5x.25=1.25) in the front and 1" (60-56=4, 4x.25=1) in the rear.
Thanks! Haven't looked under my Jeep yet for this--can the tag be seen while they're in place?
Unread 01-23-2015, 08:12 AM   #8
14Sport
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdebol View Post
Thanks! Haven't looked under my Jeep yet for this--can the tag be seen while they're in place?
Yes...it's a big tag.

Edit: Here are pics of my take-offs...14/56s.
misc-parts-007-small-.jpg

misc-parts-008-small-.jpg

misc-parts-009-small-.jpg

I jeep therefore I am.
Unread 01-23-2015, 08:16 AM   #9
Mark27
2012 JK Wrangler 

Yes, you can see the tags while the springs are in place. You'll have to crawl underneath. Definitely check the numbers on both your springs as well as the rubicon ones you are going to buy.
It's ALL in the numbers, nothing else matters. I went up 4 numbers (14 to 18 and 56 to 59) and got 1 inch of lift. That is right in line with all the credible posts I could find.
It seems Jeep has some formula for which springs they install, so Rubicon, Saraha, Sport is meaningless. Check the numbers before going forward!
Mark27 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2015, 08:26 AM   #10
14Sport
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark27 View Post
Yes, you can see the tags while the springs are in place. You'll have to crawl underneath. Definitely check the numbers on both your springs as well as the rubicon ones you are going to buy.
It's ALL in the numbers, nothing else matters. I went up 4 numbers (14 to 18 and 56 to 59) and got 1 inch of lift. That is right in line with all the credible posts I could find.
It seems Jeep has some formula for which springs they install, so Rubicon, Saraha, Sport is meaningless. Check the numbers before going forward!

I jeep therefore I am.
Unread 01-23-2015, 08:56 AM   #11
sdebol
2010 JK Wrangler 

Thanks--very helpful!
Unread 01-23-2015, 09:22 AM   #12
ncb

Since you have a JKU the spring height difference from a Sahara to a Rubicon won't be enough to waste the money on swapping.

Go with a leveling kit if you're looking for a small boost in height. That way you know exactly what the height increase will be.

There's nothing magical about "Rubicon springs".

Higher number springs do net lift on a 2 door, but not so much on a 4 door.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2015, 09:26 AM   #13
14Sport
2014 JK Wrangler 

He's not looking for a lift. He is just trying to save money by buying take-offs instead of replacement parts. At least as I understood it.

I jeep therefore I am.
Unread 01-23-2015, 09:27 AM   #14
ncb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Sport
He's not looking for a lift. He is just trying to save money by buying take-offs instead of replacement parts. At least as I understood it.
Then he should leave the springs alone and simply install new shocks.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2015, 09:41 AM   #15
zjilla
2007 JK Wrangler 

X2. This got way too complicated for what it was. Just install the shocks and be done with it

Sent from my GT-N7000 using JeepForum
www.annirlane.blogspot.com
October 2013 JK of the month
My Slowly but surely JK build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/s...hread-1562595/
zjilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.