Use speakers through Infinity Amp or just off HU? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Use speakers through Infinity Amp or just off HU?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 08-09-2014, 01:14 PM   #1
MitchSKP
2011 JK Wrangler 

Use speakers through Infinity Amp or just off HU?

I am looking into a new HU, and was wondering whether it was a good idea to bypass the infinity amp entirely and just power speakers off of the HU, or continue using the Infinity Amp? The HU in question is the Kenwood Excelon DNX891HD (22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels, 6-channel preamp outputs (5-volt front, rear, subwoofer)). What would be the best course of action?

I think I should add, I replaced the front speakers with the Infinity Kappa 60.11CS 6-3/4" component speaker system.

MitchSKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2014, 02:00 PM   #2
Demp
2013 JK Wrangler 

Bypass. The amp is canbus driven in collaboration with the factory headunit. It has only line left and right input and no gain control either.

Your only loss will be the factory sub. By default it is a Dual 2ohm but I don't know the power handling, can't be much.
Demp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2014, 07:48 PM   #3
MitchSKP
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demp View Post
Bypass. The amp is canbus driven in collaboration with the factory headunit. It has only line left and right input and no gain control either.

Your only loss will be the factory sub. By default it is a Dual 2ohm but I don't know the power handling, can't be much.
Is there anyway to retain the factory sub without spending big bucks on an amp?
If I am right doesn't it have 6 outputs? 2 could be used for the component speakers, one on each side, two for the soundbar, and the other two for sub?

Last edited by MitchSKP; 08-09-2014 at 08:53 PM..
Unread 08-09-2014, 08:53 PM   #4
MitchSKP
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demp View Post

Should I also be worried about the Ohm output of the HU?
Unread 08-10-2014, 08:33 PM   #5
Demp
2013 JK Wrangler 

Every car audio headunit I've worked with supports 4 and 8ohm with no problem. Very few work at 2ohm safely and won't put out enough power for a sub, most modern units being around 15w RMS.

The issue still stands with the factory amp: It is not a traditional amp, more of a processor. The factory amp is the fade, balance, volume, and EQ of the factory unit. It has a simple left and right input and uses feedback from the factory radio to work. If it would produce any results, I couldn't begin to guess what it may be. I didn't check the voltage level of the inputs when I did my replacement, and a headunit may overpower it quickly.

I haven't messed with it, but some people have had luck with small aftermarket amps and Line Out Converters (LOC) from the rear channels. You may have some luck searching the Electrical subforum.

For reference: The factory system is actually 8 channel output. Fronts, dash tweeters, rears, sub (DVC).
Demp is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.