Upgrading, lookging for advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Upgrading, lookging for advice

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 04-21-2011, 01:19 AM   #1
chrisarnott2001

Upgrading, lookging for advice

Hey guys,
I have a stock 2010 JK sport. Im looking to upgrade it, heres what I am thinking about doing:

Suspension Lift
Bigger wheels/tires
Light bar

Has anyone done a suspension lift recently? If so, do you recommend doing it yourself or taking it to a shop (Im mechanically inclined but have not done work of this magnitude)? Also, 2.5" vs 4", any thoughts? Brand of suspension lift?

For the wheels and tires, I live in Utah so plan on definitely doing some off roading this summer. I want my jeep to handle well BOTH on and off the road, any recommendations on size and style?

Finally, Id like a light bar. I can't decide between placing it over the windshield (worried about wind noise, Ive seen some that roll down as well) or having them on the front bumper. Also, will this require a bigger alternator or separate aux battery? Any ideas on location or brands would be great!

Overall, I want a jeep that handles on road, off road, and of course looks good! Any other mods you think would be helpful are requested as well.

chrisarnott2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2011, 01:32 AM   #2
jeeperjk
Web Wheeler
2009 JK Wrangler 

Being from Utah, I'd think you'd want to give TeraFlex a look. They're somewhat local (about 30 miles from you) and you'd be able to get expert advice/service direct from them.

Others that'd be high on my list if I didn't already have a lift would be Poly Performance, Rock Crawler, and probably AEV. I'd steer clear of the Pro Comp, Rough Country, etc. crowd as like most other things in life, you get what you pay for. Maybe if you're looking for a budget boost, but if you're looking for a full setup, then go with a proven company.

As far as height goes, this is where you need to figure out what size tire you're gonna run and work backwards. If you want to run 35's, then a 2.5-3" lift is good. If you want to run 33's, then a leveling kit or 1" spacer is probably enough. If you want to run 37's, then you're looking at 4" lift or a combo of 2.5" or so lift and flat flares of some sort or cuttin' your stock flares.

There are many ways to go with this process. Make sure you plan your build so you don't end up paying twice for something. Not only for this stage, but (as much as you can) for future stages, too.
jeeperjk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2011, 07:48 AM   #3
InfernoGirl
2001 TJ Wrangler 

^^^^^ Very good advice! We just put a Teraflex 2.5" lift on ours a few weeks ago. You can do it yourself, just make sure you have every size socket known to man and a buddy or two to assist...

01 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L, auto Sienna Mine
07 2D Rubicon Flame Red His
InfernoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2011, 08:05 AM   #4
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Installing the lift yourself is a great way to learn more about your Jeep. As far as tires go, mud terrain’s (BFG KM2’s or Goodyear w/ kevlar to name a couple) or an aggressive all-terrain (DuraTrac) should work just fine. I wouldn’t worry too much about wind noise in a Wrangler. They are kinda noisy to begin with.
Unread 04-21-2011, 08:22 AM   #5
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

IMHO since you are in Utah, and eventually you will want to go to Moab, you are going to want at least a 3 1/2 inch lift, which is going to mean adjustable track bars, and new driveshafts. After watching the videos of the Easter Safari, 35s are the minimum.

As far as lights, have you rules out the lights that mount on the windshield hinge? It will keep you lower that light bars above the winshield and you can add lights to the bumper for added coverage.
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2011, 09:07 AM   #6
MrOrange
2009 JK Wrangler 

I would agree, if you're within driving distance of the Holy Land, I would aim to make my vehicle Moab compliant which means 35's at a minimum. But if you're going past 33s, you're going to need additional things like gearing and a programmer to correct the speedo. You'll also want a set of quick disconnects no matter what to help with the flexing. You didn't state whether you had a two-door or a four-door which makes a big difference in what is needed when lifting. A four-door can run a 3" lift without issues, but a two-door is going to have some problems with the driveshaft angles. Do plenty of research before pulling the trigger on anything and if you have time to actually go over to Teraflex's shop, I would do so to talk to those guys so you can pick their brains and see some setups.
5.13 gears, ARB front locker, Currie front shafts
Bushwacker flat flares, Rubicon rails with steps added
MrOrange is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2011, 07:19 PM   #7
chrisarnott2001

awesome guys, thanks for the advice
chrisarnott2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
light bar , suspension lift , tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.