Upgrading to huge JK - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Upgrading to huge JK

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDRear Disc Brake Conversion Kit- TJ,YJ,XJSWAG 50 Cal Ammo Can Mount With M2A1 Can

Unread 10-15-2012, 03:36 PM   #1
Kmin
2013 JK Wrangler 

Upgrading to huge JK

Well I currently have a 98 TJ im considering selling soon. Im looking into getting a 09 or 10 4dr JK. While I do live in the burbs ive always loved how beefy the huge lifts look. What im trying to figure out is say i put a 6" long arm kit on, what else would I need not included in the kit? and if anyone has done this what it ended up running you that you may not have expected.
I know there are 1001 different threads on lifts but few seemed to adress a 6" lift.

(p.s. i know the 6" is ridic for the little amount of offroading i do but I just want this thing to be massive. unless the price difference is $2,000 betweent the 6" and the 4", im doing the 6)

Thanks Everybody

Kmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 03:38 PM   #2
TeraFlex
2012 JK Wrangler 

What size of tires do you want to end up with?
Unread 10-15-2012, 03:42 PM   #3
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

IMO, a six inch lift is ridiculous, esp on a JK, which already sits higher than your TJ. At six inches you will need an entirely new suspension, incl springs, shocks, brake lines, control arms, drive shafts, track bar and connections, bump stops, etc...and will require careful alignment to obtain a suitable geometry so as to not drive like a monster truck...in addition, if you plan on larger wheels and tires, count on a re-gear too....just MNSHO ohhhh, and for the little lady, a step ladder.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 03:46 PM   #4
panthermark
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyClymer View Post
IMO, a six inch lift is ridiculous, esp on a JK, which already sits higher than your TJ. At six inches you will need an entirely new suspension, incl springs, shocks, brake lines, control arms, drive shafts, track bar and connections, bump stops, etc...and will require careful alignment to obtain a suitable geometry so as to not drive like a monster truck...in addition, if you plan on larger wheels and tires, count on a re-gear too....just MNSHO ohhhh, and for the little lady, a step ladder.
^This x 100000000000000000

I see why I'm a loner....and I love it!
panthermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 03:50 PM   #5
CJsPerson
2008 JK Wrangler 

I like the step ladder part. I was typing up a response very similar to yours but had grab handles in the need parts list.

I off road because I have a Jeep. I don't have a Jeep because I off road. Above all my Jeep is a convertible. That's where my love is for the brand ...convertible overkill
CJsPerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 03:58 PM   #6
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

With a 6 inch lift, you are going to have to run 37 inch tires or its going to look ridiculous. Six inches of lift on a JK is analogous to ten inches of lift on a TJ.

You're going to spend a lot of money on either a four inch or six inch lift, more on the six. That much lift will require new driveshaft, correction of pinion angles, caster correction, as well as a lot of beefing up. Then there's the gear change to run tires that size, gusseting and reinforcing the axles to take the strain, etc.

You aren't gonna get it done anywhere near 2k. Somewhere between 5-8k would be my guess.
jstrubberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 04:02 PM   #7
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Also, prepare to be made fun of by pretty much any other jeeper.

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 04:43 PM   #8
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Kit cost difference isn't the problem, it's everything else you have to buy with it. Mainly large tires ($$$), driveshafts ($$) and regear ($$). Remember JK lift usually follows the rules: 3"=35"s, 4"=37"s, 6"=38"s minimum, probably 40"s. Not to discourage you, but you're in for a treat when you see the full price of a complete 6" lift.

Also, long arms not required either, though I hate to open that can of worms debate...
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 05:17 PM   #9
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Also.....if you have a stock JK, then you will have a D30 front axle, and to handle 37 or 40 inch tires with any degree of long term reliability, you will be looking at sleeve and gusset the front axle shaft and add chrome moly axles, like RCVs and if you rock and roll at all, you might want pneumatic steering or assist cylinder esp at 40 inches. IMO stock steering will not handle 40s on the rocks.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 05:20 PM   #10
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

^^^ Also good points, definitely assisted steering and beefed up axle assemblies ($$$). Even the JK D44 has the same axle tubes and inner "C"s as the D30, so either would also have to be sleeved and gussetted ($$).
Unread 10-15-2012, 05:57 PM   #11
DBA2GO
2008 JK Wrangler 

Lot's of good info; but, it appears the OP is MIA. I don't know if the OP is trolling or not, just kinda looks that way.
Unread 10-15-2012, 07:28 PM   #12
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Could be, after all OP has a whopping total of 1 post. lol
Unread 10-15-2012, 07:58 PM   #13
Spank
2012 JK Wrangler 

Well, lets try and give the guy more than four hours to reply before calling him "MIA."
Unread 10-16-2012, 06:48 AM   #14
Kmin
2013 JK Wrangler 

Im here! Thanks for all the advice. I was planning on getting 37" tires to fill out the lift but it seems that they will fill out a 4" lift much better? I was looking at the teraflex 6" or 4" kit. That looks like it will include most parts but i will still need to buy
- Longer driveshaft (front and rear?)
- New gearing (is this neccessary? if i stick with 37" but go to a 4" kit? or say i go down to 35")
- extended break lines

This is what i noticed was not included in the kit so please list more if im missing it, but im looking for what is absolutly neccessary not a convinence. (i.e steering assist seems like it would help but again not neccessary)
Unread 10-16-2012, 07:07 AM   #15
Kmin
2013 JK Wrangler 

Better yet can anyone post some good comparision pictures of a stock jk to a 4" lifted jk on 35"s or 37"s? The concenses seems that there is a lot more work to do for the 6" lift compared to the 4" and that it is a lot more money just for two inches.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.