Upgraded stock 16"s wheels to stock 17"s - Anything I should know? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Upgraded stock 16"s wheels to stock 17"s - Anything I should know?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 06-16-2010, 12:37 AM   #1
flproject00
2007 JK Wrangler 

Upgraded stock 16"s wheels to stock 17"s - Anything I should know?

Hey everyone - new member and new wrangler owner here.

I purchased a 2007 Wrangler JK today (super excited) and the first thing I did was upgrade the stock 16" wheels and tires to a set of 17" stock wheels and tires I got second hand. They look amazing but I feel like I am now noticing that it is "hopping" or "jerking" forward and back. As soon as drop it down a gear and accelerate it goes away but when I am cruising it seems to happen.

Considering I have only owned the jeep for less than 1 day it could just be "a jeep thing" that I will get use to. On the other hand, I thought I had read that I might need to have the jeep updated (for lack of a better word) at the dealer to adjust the speedometer and accomodate the larger tires.

Any advice or comments are appreciated!

Jeff

flproject00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2010, 12:44 AM   #2
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Please describe the "hopping" or "jerking" better. The tires might not be balanced, or you may need an alignment.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2010, 01:10 AM   #3
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

sounds like a balancing issue to me if that is all you have changed...
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2010, 01:22 AM   #4
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

If the overall tire diameter is different then the computer needs to be "flashed" by the dealer for the proper tire size. You could do this "flash" yourself with the use of the AEV ProCal $150 or the SuperChips Flash-Pack $350.
The hopping/jerking is a separate issue and you should have it checked or driven by someone that can better diagnose or compare to another JK in good order. A better description of this action could help us to narrow it down.
As LuckyRider said the issue could be the tires!

Welcome to the Club and good luck!

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2010, 01:35 AM   #5
Armycop
2008 JK Wrangler 

Do you have the 3.21's/6 Speed? If you have the 3.21's and a weak clutch, it may cause the jerkiness because of the drive-by-wire throttle and the bigger tires. Give it a couple days and get the computer flashed for the proper tire size.
Unread 06-16-2010, 10:13 AM   #6
flproject00
2007 JK Wrangler 

Yes it is a 6 speed but the clutch was literally just replaced.

Sorry for the vague description of the "hopping". Lets say I am just cruising at say 40mph in 5th gear, every so often it feels as though I downshifted and then accelerated. The feeling is very subtle. Basically it faintly feels as though there is resistance and then it frees back up. Like I said, it is very faint.

I really think it is just something I will get use to in that it is a jeep and I am more familiar with a 5-speed than a 6-speed. The gas pedal is pretty tight too so when I try to correct the "hop" I typically over-accelerate.

I guess I just wanted the reassurance that changing the wheels/tires didn't require additional tweaking to the jeep.

Thanks again!
Unread 06-17-2010, 11:48 AM   #7
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I haven't driven a JK 6-speed with the 3.8L V6, but I have driven the 6-speed behind the 4.0L. It sounds to me like it could be the drive by wire that the motor uses. I am sure a JK person will give a better response.
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Unread 06-17-2010, 03:05 PM   #8
OregonVette
2008 JK Wrangler 

Hmmm... Do you have a lot of experience with a manual transmission?
It's hard to give you good advice at this point. It's almost like you're saying, "I want to have sex, but don't want to get her pregnant. I can't afford condoms, so for now I just want to use Saran Wrap. What brand would you recommend?"
OregonVette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2010, 07:29 PM   #9
JeepnBeer
2008 JK Wrangler 

I recently did the same thing (upgraded from the 16's to the 17's), and while I don't have the hopping or jerking, I wanted to recommend the AEV ProCal module to you. It was brought to my attention through this forum, and I have to agree, its a fantastic tool. I was able to purchase mine on ebay for $100, and its truly worth it. I'd encourage you to check out the website, and see everything you can do with the tool. Its money well spent, and will save some trips to the dealer when the day comes that you want to go with some bigger mods. Good Luck!
JeepnBeer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2010, 02:09 AM   #10
flproject00
2007 JK Wrangler 

So I think I figured out what it was as the problem has completely gone away. When I bought the Jeep the CEL was on and the dealer said that it would be addressed free of charge. Turns out that it was not a simple "gas cap CEL" that they hoped but a faulty EGR valve. They replaced it today and the engine runs and idles soooo much smoother.

- Thanks for the tip JeepnBeer, I will look into a module.
- As for my familiarity with a MT, don't insult my manhood, that is all I have ever driven! (Haha, jk.)
Unread 06-18-2010, 02:12 AM   #11
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Good to know you got the problem fixed. Welcome to the Jeep life. There is a ton of info on this site, and you can learn a lot.
Unread 06-18-2010, 06:03 AM   #12
Armycop
2008 JK Wrangler 

Glad to hear you got it fixed. I have the Procal too, and it's a pretty useful tool to have in the glovebox. I bought tires last year, had them put on, and then did the adjustment in the parking lot of the tire store, and my speedo was dead on with my GPS speed.
Unread 06-18-2010, 07:05 AM   #13
flproject00
2007 JK Wrangler 

yeah using the GPS is going to be my first benchmark to see if I need to invest in a procal. My civic was off and added about 5mph so I sort of got use to that. (kind of like having the clock set wrong intentionally to "give you more time") <- pet peeve!

Unless it is underestimating my speed or is WAY off in overestimating then I will likely ignore it.

Question: Would this influence your odometer or is that calculated differently?
Unread 06-18-2010, 11:22 AM   #14
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Yes it will affect the odometer and a false reading on that could cause problems with your warranty.
The good news is that the dealer can make the computer adjustment because you are still using a factory available tire size.
You will only need a way to do it yourself if you go to a tire size that is greater than any available from the factory.

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.