Upgrade Double Check - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Upgrade Double Check

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!The Ruffstuff 9" Disc Brake brackets!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 08-28-2013, 10:57 PM   #1
jfuz
2012 JK Wrangler 

Upgrade Double Check

Hey everyone, after many long nights of research, I finally have a good idea of how I want to modify my new Jeep. Although I feel like I have a good grasp on everything, I am no expert. I am looking for someone to look over my list to check for anything that does not seem right, things I should be worried about, anything els I may be missing or should be adding.

2012 JKU

TeraFlex 2.5" Lift (with coils)
Rancho RS9000XL Shocks
Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac 305/70R16
Black Rock Series 997 Type 8 Wheel 5x5 16x8 Size & 4.25" Backspacing

My second question is which Rancho Shocks are the proper ones for my lift. I contacted Quadratec and they pointed me to these shocks which seem correct.
0-2" lift front (Extended: 21.75" Collapsed: 14")
2" rear shocks (Extended: 22.63" Collapsed: 14.5")

Although through my research it shows that Rancho has a 2.5"-3" shock but does not show the extended and collapsed numbers. Links below:
Front
Rear

Thanks for any and all input.

jfuz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2013, 02:25 AM   #2
AveCat
MacGyver

2012 JK Wrangler 

Why 16" wheels?
Unread 08-29-2013, 07:42 AM   #3
jfuz
2012 JK Wrangler 

I chose 16" because they are a little cheaper, I like the way they look, and offer more sidewall (as little as that is). I can be easily swayed between the two if you have any pros/cons yourself.
jfuz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2013, 08:56 AM   #4
duneslider
2007 JK Wrangler 

I have the Rancho shocks and the ones rancho will recommend for your lift are the RS999329 and they are 15.6 compressed to 25.28 extended. The teraflex shocks I had, if they were really 2.5" lift shocks were longer and closer to the rancho rs999331 which is 16.6-27.32".

Those were the front numbers. I kind of think the shocks rancho specs for lifts are shorter than they need to be, I am not sure why they do this? The rancho rep used to be on here a bit and answer questions. Maybe my teraflex shocks were not the correct ones for the 2.5" lift, I don't know.

I run 15" wheels and like them. However, if I were to do it all again from day one I would have gone with 17" wheels. There are more tire options and you will be able to do a big brake kit later on if you feel you want it and you will have an easier time doing a steering and tie rod flip if you ever choose to do so.

However, with the 15's my tires are way cheaper than 17's. I wouldn't do 16's, it seems like they are going out of style too and it will become harder to find tires.

I liked my 2.5" teraflex coils. You should be happy with it.
duneslider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2013, 11:06 AM   #5
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

x2 on the 17" vs 16" wheel. Lots of tire choices for 17" wheels. 15s were great for our TJ but won't fit without some modification on the JK. The big break kit option is nice too. I haven't gone that route yet but it is nice to have the option in the future.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.