Unlimited X & remote start? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Unlimited X & remote start?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 01-09-2007, 08:19 AM   #1
Egmont
Recent Convert & Love It

Unlimited X & remote start?

Is anyone using a remote starter? I searched and found limited, old info.

My X is coming and I want that remote starter.

Any idea's what model to order? I found different versions, ranging from $89.00 to $289.00.

Egmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2007, 08:33 AM   #2
Rocky529
Jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

If you think the Jeep's stock security system is adequate enough, then you can get your average remote start... I recommend Viper.

If you want an aftermarket alarm (better than stock), I suggest a Viper system. Many of them have remote starter as part of the package. I suggest the 791XV.

Silver Metallic finish with black dual tops - Dana 44 Rear
2.25" Suspension Lift with Old Man Emu Shocks
Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift
Daystar 1" Motor Mount Lift
Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers - 32"x11.5" MT/R Tires
Rocky529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2007, 08:49 AM   #3
Egmont
Recent Convert & Love It

Good lead, Thanks
Unread 01-09-2007, 01:10 PM   #4
radioman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egmont
Is anyone using a remote starter? I searched and found limited, old info.

My X is coming and I want that remote starter.

Any idea's what model to order? I found different versions, ranging from $89.00 to $289.00.

Mopar part numbers are 82208859AB for the module and 82209982AG for the install kit.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2007, 01:53 PM   #5
bigwrm

Just have to put my 2 cents in. I live in Edmonton Canada, so seems like every third car has a remote starter as it gets ball shrinkin cold 6 months a year.

I drive a towtruck and in the last few years the amount of cars that I have towed into the dealers because of the remote starter wrecking something is amazing.

It seems like every once in a while the odd person will have no problems. As for the rest.....

I even talked with a mechanic at one of the local Dodge dealers and he said flat out a starter is one of the worst things to put on your car. In his opinion, having to bypass all the security and antitheft stuff isnt good for the car and is a timebomb.

Thats just what I hear and see, I had an old astro start on my 91 lumina back in the day when the starters first came out and never had a problem in ten years. I had a guy with a 05 Duramax that had been towed in 6 times in 3400kms all because of the starter deadlocking his system. And these are all dealer installed too.

Or you can just do what my parnets did. Have a kid, make him run out and start the car and shovel the walk too. Bonus!
bigwrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2007, 02:28 PM   #6
Egmont
Recent Convert & Love It

To bad, I don't have a kid, they all moved out

On a serious note, I just my 94 Suburban with remote and also never had a speck of a problem. But then again, they came in the "good old day's", when the used relays and heavy wiring, not transistor and microchips

Maybe they were more robust then then todays technologies, but then again, I will take a chance.
Unread 01-09-2007, 03:51 PM   #7
Motocane
Jeepster

I have had a remote on my F-250 since it was new in 2004. Never had a problem. I want to put one on my JK Rubi, but in the manual it says the remote start is not compatible with the Sentry Key Immobilizer System (page 17).
Motocane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2007, 06:24 PM   #8
scottyc
2007 JK Wrangler 

I know it would defeat the purpose of the Sentry Key, but if you really wanted remote start, could a person just leave a key in the car, near the ignition? (Or maybe in the ignition?) Just curious.
scottyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2007, 06:09 AM   #9
radioman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwrm
Just have to put my 2 cents in. I live in Edmonton Canada, so seems like every third car has a remote starter as it gets ball shrinkin cold 6 months a year.

I drive a towtruck and in the last few years the amount of cars that I have towed into the dealers because of the remote starter wrecking something is amazing.

It seems like every once in a while the odd person will have no problems. As for the rest.....

I even talked with a mechanic at one of the local Dodge dealers and he said flat out a starter is one of the worst things to put on your car. In his opinion, having to bypass all the security and antitheft stuff isnt good for the car and is a timebomb.

Thats just what I hear and see, I had an old astro start on my 91 lumina back in the day when the starters first came out and never had a problem in ten years. I had a guy with a 05 Duramax that had been towed in 6 times in 3400kms all because of the starter deadlocking his system. And these are all dealer installed too.

Or you can just do what my parnets did. Have a kid, make him run out and start the car and shovel the walk too. Bonus!
The Mopar system does not bypass the security or anti-theft system. It is specifically made for those systems. Many aftermarket units require the purchase of an additional key be purchased (for as much as $100) to be stuck under the dash so the ignition recognizes it. Those are the systems that are bypassing your theft system.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2007, 07:44 AM   #10
john_w

I agree that the Mopar remote starter system is the safest way to go with least chance of running into ignition system problems in the future.

I'm with radioman's comments too... if you do go with Mopar, there are actually two components you have to buy, one costs $199 and the other $99. So you are looking at $300 for the Mopar system which is the same cost for just about every remote system Chrysler offers. I got the pricing information yesterday and was talking with the Mopar guy at the shop.

I'm going to install it myself here and see how much trouble it is. The dealer wants another $237 for labor & installation on top of the $300 in parts & install kit cost. Will let you guys know how it all goes.
Unread 01-10-2007, 08:18 AM   #11
Egmont
Recent Convert & Love It

I spoke to a local none Mopar installer and he wanted $350.00 installed, that included the key by-pass and he stated that it will work up to 1000ft. What distance does the Mopar cover?
Unread 01-10-2007, 10:53 AM   #12
cpd806

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_w
I agree that the Mopar remote starter system is the safest way to go with least chance of running into ignition system problems in the future.

I'm with radioman's comments too... if you do go with Mopar, there are actually two components you have to buy, one costs $199 and the other $99. So you are looking at $300 for the Mopar system which is the same cost for just about every remote system Chrysler offers. I got the pricing information yesterday and was talking with the Mopar guy at the shop.

I'm going to install it myself here and see how much trouble it is. The dealer wants another $237 for labor & installation on top of the $300 in parts & install kit cost. Will let you guys know how it all goes.
Their is a dealer on E-bay selling both kits for about 185 bucks, bought one last week. Both brand new and he is providing me with a sales receipt, so I can get the 3/36 warranty when my dealer intalls it. Installtion cost at my dealer is 1.3 hrs @ 68 an hour.
cpd806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2007, 01:09 PM   #13
parkstephen

I got my kit from the same guys - new in box from factory...175.00 plus shipping.

My dealer will do the install for $150.00 complete.

Not bad - especially with a 3/36 warranty.
parkstephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2007, 01:14 PM   #14
Egmont
Recent Convert & Love It

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkstephen
I got my kit from the same guys - new in box from factory...175.00 plus shipping.

My dealer will do the install for $150.00 complete.

Not bad - especially with a 3/36 warranty.

I am curious, how does Mopar handle the key situation?
Unread 01-10-2007, 03:18 PM   #15
jdrogers
2002 WJ 

The Mopar handles the "Sentry Key" by including the transponder chip in the remote start electronics. One of the items done as part of the installation is to place a wire loop around the ignition switch. This wire loop is the antenna for the transponder chip.

After the installation is complete, they (or you if you're installing your own) have to program the Jeep to accept the new transponder "key" as a valid key. This programming is done just like adding another other new key.
jdrogers is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.