Unlimited Rubicon , 3" Black Diamond lift , 35" Hankook tires , Commander Hulk wheels - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Unlimited Rubicon , 3" Black Diamond lift , 35" Hankook tires , Commander Hulk wheels

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 03-10-2007, 07:25 PM   #1
RedRockJK
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Unlimited Rubicon , 3" Black Diamond lift , 35" Hankook tires , Commander Hulk wheels

Me and a good buddy installed a Black Diamond 3" lift today on my Rubicon, along with 315/70/17 Hankook Dynapro RT03 tires on Jeep Commander Hulk wheels. Install went fairly smooth, I am VERY pleased with how it turned out. It drives and rides at least as good if not better than stock. I was amazed. The Hankook tires are quieter than the stock tires were. I snuck in a few pics of my Wife's new Unlimited 4x4 X I bought her yesterday as well. She liked the Rubi so much we decided to just get another one.

RedRockJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2007, 07:42 PM   #2
BirdsFanVa
2007 JK Wrangler 

Very nice look and good for you. I went with the Sahara and the wife loves it too. She told me she wants to trade the Tahoe for one for herself. Too funny. Nice ride and the wheels and lift look great!
BirdsFanVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2007, 07:42 PM   #3
jeepers3

Those are good looking tires. I like that design pattern on the sidewalls. I don't think I would need them that big though (:

So what's a set of 5 of those tires and rims go for these days anyway?
jeepers3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2007, 07:58 PM   #4
RedRockJK
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks! I forgot to add, I also used some 1.5" Spidertrax spacers as well.
Unread 03-10-2007, 09:14 PM   #5
RedRockJK
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepers3
Those are good looking tires. I like that design pattern on the sidewalls. I don't think I would need them that big though (:

So what's a set of 5 of those tires and rims go for these days anyway?
I've got about $1500 or so in the 5 wheels and tires.
Unread 03-10-2007, 09:33 PM   #6
Diesel0312

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockJK
I've got about $1500 or so in the 5 wheels and tires.
Where did you get such a good deal? Quadratec has the Hulk wheels for 330 a piece and the tires go for 239 per. That's $2845 for 5.
Mods: Windshield mounted Hella FF1000 driving lights, Rugged Ridge front grab handles, CLC rear grab handles, Teraflex 2.5" BB, Quadratec boor handle covers, Bestop spare cover, Custom front bumper, 17X9 Pro Comp 1079's, 305/17/R17 Buckshot Mudders.
In the works: Custom rear bumper.
Diesel0312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2007, 09:35 PM   #7
Rocky529
Jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

That looks really nice.

Silver Metallic finish with black dual tops - Dana 44 Rear
2.25" Suspension Lift with Old Man Emu Shocks
Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift
Daystar 1" Motor Mount Lift
Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers - 32"x11.5" MT/R Tires
Rocky529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2007, 09:40 PM   #8
RedRockJK
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel0312
Where did you get such a good deal? Quadratec has the Hulk wheels for 330 a piece and the tires go for 239 per. That's $2845 for 5.
I picked up the wheels used (I actually have the five on the Jeep and one extra in the garage) from 2 different people. They were like new and had very few miles on them. I got a set of four off ebay, and the other two I bought from someone on another board. The tires I paid $960 or so for all five mounted, balanced, and taxed from a local tire shop.
Unread 03-10-2007, 11:48 PM   #9
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

That looks fantastic. Is it a dog with the bigger tires now? Is it a manual or automatic transmission? Have you thought about taking the mud flaps off?

How about parking the Sahara and the Rubicon next to each other and taking a picture for height comparison?
Prot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2007, 11:55 PM   #10
RedRockJK
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot
That looks fantastic. Is it a dog with the bigger tires now? Is it a manual or automatic transmission? Have you thought about taking the mud flaps off?

How about parking the Sahara and the Rubicon next to each other and taking a picture for height comparison?
Thanks! It's not a dog at all, I can barely tell the difference from stock. Here's a pic of my new vs. stock Rubicon tires. You can tell the height difference is not as much as you'd think. The 315/70/17's are about 34.4" tall, so I only have about 2" more diameter on the tires now.

It's an auto, and it does kick down a gear a tad more on the interstate if there are hills, but it's not bad at all. The mud flaps are for street and mild trail use only, anything tough and I will remove them before hitting the trail. There is way too much road spray and debris that is kicked up not to have something protecting from road rash. Trail scars are one thing, but I'd rather keep the unnecessary dings from happening.

I was in a hurry when I took these, the sun was dropping quick. I'll get some side-by-side pics of her X and my Rubi as soon as I get a chance.
Unread 03-11-2007, 01:02 AM   #11
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

That's it! I'm going to have to order a lift kit and a set of tires and wheels when my JK comes in. To me that looks perfect plus I'm glad to hear that it still has a reasonably comfortable ride. That's a big concern for me as mine will be a daily driver.

My dealer told me on the phone yesterday there may be a bit of a delay on my Unlimited XS because I went with the 17" wheels. I may call him on Monday and ask him if the delay is because of the wheel, if he could get them to go with the Hulk wheels like you have. Did the dealer relflash your computer to correct your speedometer / odometer?
Unread 03-11-2007, 04:07 AM   #12
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

I forgot to ask how does the noise of those tires compare with the stock tires and your wife's Sahara?
Unread 03-11-2007, 08:21 AM   #13
RedRockJK
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I forgot to ask how does the noise of those tires compare with the stock tires and your wife's Sahara?
They are quieter than the stock tires, and louder than the stock 16"ers on my wifes X.
Unread 03-11-2007, 08:36 AM   #14
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Did the Jeep dealer reflash the computer for speedometer/odometer correction?
Unread 03-11-2007, 08:55 AM   #15
RedRockJK
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Did the Jeep dealer reflash the computer for speedometer/odometer correction?
No they can't do that. The max tire size they can flash for is stock 32's on a Rubicon, which is what I have already. I'm going to take my GPS on a road trip today and see how far off the speedo is.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.