Uh oh.. OME netted me 4" lift! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Uh oh.. OME netted me 4" lift!

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDRear Disc Brake Conversion Kit- TJ,YJ,XJ

Unread 08-31-2012, 11:31 AM   #1
EarsOfLeather

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Uh oh.. OME netted me 4" lift!

So I just installed OME HD springs that were supposed to net me 2.5" of lift, but all said and done (with Bilstein 5100s) I got quite a bit more than that. Wasn't planning on having to relocate my brake lines, and now my nonadjustable stock rear track bar is pulling my axle slightly to one side.

How much do you think these suckers are gonna settle?? Think I'll have to add a drop-down bracket to get my axle to move back over?

For the moment i'm gonna have to drive it this way for a couple days. I hope I don't cause any funny wear on my tires. I'm going to watch it closely

Rubicon Express quick disconnects
Currie HD adjustable front trac bar
Old Man Emu HD steering stabilizer
Skyjacker T-case drop kit
AIRAID cold air intake
Kargo Master Safari 60" rack
Smittybilt G.E.A.R. MOLLE seatcovers
EarsOfLeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2012, 12:39 PM   #2
EarsOfLeather

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Bump for help? I'm baffled that I got this much lift. Anyone know what these springs are supposed to run?
AIRAID cold air intake
Unread 08-31-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
ncb

The HD springs are known to net more than 2.5". I don't think they'll settle much. You might want to swap out the HDs for their regular springs.
ncb is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2012, 12:45 PM   #4
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Yep.... Did you do any reading here before you did the lift? It's pretty common....
I got 3.5" in the front from my 2.5" RK lift and even with a 2.5", you should probably redo your brake lines anyway..
The better kits assume that you're probably going to hang an aftermarket bumper and winch on the front, so they give you an extra little bit.
They probably won't settle too much being OME. Pretty high quality stuff. The RK springs that I put on are supposedly "pre compressed" to minimize settling.
Are your shocks long enough now? I would be worried about that.
So tell the wife, or G/F that you "Need" to replace your front bumper and put on a winch ASAP before something horrible happens to the jeep!!!

Or, just strap about 150 pounds to the front bumper for the interim....

paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2012, 01:23 PM   #5
EarsOfLeather

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah the shocks are long enough, I paired the springs with bilstein 5100s. Kolak is saying those springs should settle somewhat over the next couple days but they do seem pretty stiff! Hope my ride quality suffer as much as it looks like its going to
AIRAID cold air intake
Unread 08-31-2012, 01:32 PM   #6
EarsOfLeather

2000 XJ Cherokee 

So now, given the fact that I'm sitting on 4" instead of the 2.5" I'd planned for, what else do I need to make this thing drivable and safe? It looks like I am also going to have to get adjustable sway bar end links because the way it sits now the knuckle side is rubbing/binding on the drag link up front. Anything else?
AIRAID cold air intake
Unread 08-31-2012, 02:08 PM   #7
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

new drive lines comes to mind at 4" front wont last long. I'll guess this is a 4d so the rear will last for a time not long though. If its a 2 d the rear goes out first at 4". followed by th front.
2.5 lift
As why a 2.5 comes in at 4 . the lift should rear at 2.5-3 and the front should be at 3.5-4. Loaded the rear gains more over all with a swing out tire and say a 35-37 tire hanging way off the back and a real bumper since the stock is like what 10 pounds of plastic and no steel in the rear. Unless you put a power plant and one of those full size steel bumpers. steel cable it is a push.

so most all real lifts measure like this. To keep the Jeep level. stock Jeeps have a 1"rake
Unread 08-31-2012, 02:10 PM   #8
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Put bumpers, winch, full size spare etc. then see what you have.
Unread 08-31-2012, 02:33 PM   #9
EarsOfLeather

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot
Put bumpers, winch, full size spare etc. then see what you have.
I already have a full size spare and a steel bumper up front. Definitely got more lift up front than in the back.
AIRAID cold air intake
Unread 08-31-2012, 02:35 PM   #10
EarsOfLeather

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Is there any trick to "seating" those springs so they fit up in there all the way? Seems like if they aren't seated properly (rotation-wise) they'd give you more lift.
AIRAID cold air intake
Unread 08-31-2012, 03:48 PM   #11
Silverton34
2012 JK Wrangler 

If you stay at 3.5 or 4 inches you have LOTS of money to spend. Two driveshafts, front lower and rear upper control arms so you can get your driveline angles somewhere close to correct, high steer kit in front, front and rear track bars and brackets, the list goes on. You need different springs.
Silverton34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2012, 06:04 PM   #12
EarsOfLeather

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverton34 View Post
If you stay at 3.5 or 4 inches you have LOTS of money to spend. Two driveshafts, front lower and rear upper control arms so you can get your driveline angles somewhere close to correct, high steer kit in front, front and rear track bars and brackets, the list goes on. You need different springs.

Two driveshafts? And what's a high steer kit? I was thinking I could get adjustable quick discos to take care of the sway bar ends problem.
AIRAID cold air intake
Unread 08-31-2012, 07:37 PM   #13
Butterbuddha
Fix it till its Broke!

2010 JK Wrangler 

A 4" lift IS a big step (ask me how I know). I ran and wheeled my stock driveshafts without incident for atleast a year without problems. Still upgraded just so that worry wouldn't be in the back of my head anymore, AND you shouldn't disconnect your swaybar with a stock front driveshaft or you risk flexing it to the point where it smacks into the tranny. You don't NEED high steer, but your geometry is likely mucked up as your lift kit isn't designed for that much change. Adjustable trackbar, drop bracket for the rear trackbar, etc. I agree with the adjustable front lower and rear upper control arms.

Its a commitment. If you were heading towards a 2.5" without thoughts of going higher, you need to make that happen. Much more affected things the higher you go!
Unread 09-01-2012, 11:35 AM   #14
river2c
2014 JK Wrangler 

I ran the OME HD coil lift for years and was very happy with it. Eventually, you may want adjustable track bars to center the axles and front lower control arms to help out the handling issues. Brake line extensions are a cheap and easy fix. I'd look into some quick discos for the front and longer links for the rear. Depending on your tire size and shock lengths, you may also need longer bump stops. Your drive shafts should be OK for a while...just keep an eye on them for spitting grease. The OME kits are usually not complete...you need to upgrade certain components as you go.
Unread 09-01-2012, 03:23 PM   #15
str8fan
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncb View Post
The HD springs are known to net more than 2.5". I don't think they'll settle much. You might want to swap out the HDs for their regular springs.
Love your quote I saw the pic too

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.