two sets of tires? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 06-18-2017, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
danafortyfour

two sets of tires?

When discussing the perfect set of tires people seem to settle for a compromise, especially for daily drivers. For a daily driver you don't need anything more than an all terrain, but if you had a trailer queen you'd be running competition compound crawlers or boggers. So for people primarily doing a daily driver why not run something like a BFG AT KO2 on nice wheels most of the time and before a big trail run swap to something meaty? Surely with power tools you'd be able to do the swap in < 30 minutes - not that long if you're driving an hour + before you air down anyway.

I need something bigger than the stock tires on my rubicon and instead of another set of street mud terrains I'm really leaning toward some street tires that will last and handle overlanding knowing if I ever find they don't cut it picking up a set of something meaty that would only ever be driven to and from the trail.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-18-2017, 11:23 PM
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

I don't know how good others are doing but I got almost 50k miles on 35" MTR/K's and 90% on road driving. The key to getting good miles on mud tires is frequent rotation and balancing. I try to 5 tire rotate every 4 to 5k miles and balance the fronts at every rotation.
I'm now on 37" MTR/K's with 20k miles and expect to see these go to 50k as well.

Jim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old 06-19-2017, 04:27 AM
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I would never settle for an A/T for daily use. Both tires would need to be decent for trail and offroad use. There is no way I would be able to just swap tires for a trail ride.

I did have Super Swamper TSLs for the Summer and Goodyear MTR/K for the winter. I'm now running 37" Cooper STT Pro for street and trail. I'd like to get another set of Bias trail tires in a 38x11 Bogger, a 37" Trepador, or a 37x12 SX2. They would see plenty of street and would be more of a summer tire than just a trail tire.

2014 Wrangler JKU
2013 Wrangler JK
2004 Wrangler TJ on LEAFS
2001 Dodge Ram 2500

post #4 of 15 Old 06-19-2017, 07:28 AM
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

Garage
I ran Pitbull rockers for my summer (trail duty) tires and cooper at for my winter (all hiway) tire. Blew out two pits last summer (they are non speed rateds which defaults them to 65mph max sustained - I ran as high as 90 for just over an hour, 70 the rest of an 8 hr drive).

Just mounted up a set of PB AT/x. A nice and aggressive AT pattern, but same soft rubber and q rated (99 mph). We'll see how well they work on trail, but the at design should be tons quieter than the rockers.

Any DoT tire is "safe" for hiway use, but if there is no speed rating letter on it - slow down or rest em often - especially as they've aged and/or you've worked the sidewalls hard by airing down on the rocks! And the tread wear number is a direct indicator of rubber hardness, the higher the number the harder the rubber. A 280 is super soft and thus more tractive, a 480 is harder and will slip easier, especially wet.
post #5 of 15 Old 06-19-2017, 07:52 AM
Arrcherr
2012 JK Wrangler 

I just finished my first 10k miles on a set of 33 x 12.5 Nitto Ridge Grapplers on my jk. It's described as a hybrid AT and its been an outstanding performer while accessing remote communication huts in snow and mud. Nice manners on the road too
post #6 of 15 Old 06-19-2017, 09:20 AM
arbakken
2015 JK Wrangler 

i have snow tires for the winter and mts for the summer
post #7 of 15 Old 06-19-2017, 12:48 PM
terpsmandan
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbakken View Post
i have snow tires for the winter and mts for the summer
x2 on hers. I run KO2's year round.
post #8 of 15 Old 06-19-2017, 03:20 PM
Arrcherr
2012 JK Wrangler 

I had KO2's before the nittos, awesome tire wore like iron. They lasted just under 70k miles. My only complaint was wet weather traction after 25k miles, rubber seemed to get really hard and wet weather traction suffered. I would have bought them again if they had the size I wanted
post #9 of 15 Old 06-19-2017, 03:27 PM
terpsmandan
2009 JK Wrangler 

Once I wear down the KO2's I am going with Ridge Grapplers as well. They now make a 285/75/17 in a "C" rating. I have a set of Cooper AT3's on the other set for mine. On her's is a set of 295/70/18 General Grabber X3's and a set of Hakkapeliitta 285/70/17.
post #10 of 15 Old 06-20-2017, 07:59 AM
cranbiz
2012 JK Wrangler 

I currently run KO2's year round and so far, they have taken me everywhere I have had the courage to go. Last trip was to Rausch Creek and I did everything we tried , a lot of more technical trails including BFG Hill and Shoot the Moon in the quarry. Ran them at 18PSI on the trails.

06 KJ
12 JK,2.5" Teraflex lift,Bilstein 5100's,BFG KO2's P305/65R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #11 of 15 Old 06-20-2017, 12:48 PM
propped1
2007 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Most people - if they have two - have a snow and summer set, but a road and trail set isnt practical. Almost everyone needs to drive some distance on the highway to get to where they are wheeling. Not putting a set of BFG Red Labels on for a wheeling trip where I'll be on the highway for 4 hours round trip. They are 650 each. Cant put them in the Jeep to take down. Where you gonna put them? In your tent? What if youre not camping? Bomber Run.

You get the most aggressive tread you can get that you can tolerate on the highway. A set of Pitbull Rockers for a daily driver is in my taste ridiculous. Loud, dont last long, hard to balance, etc. There is a reason that Nitto is selling a lot of trail grapplers right now. One is price point, two is tread pattern, three is relatively quiet for a true mud tire. I am on my second set of Toyo MTs. Little more, but I think better design, quieter still, and when coupled with beadlocks at 6 psi, they are sticky as hell.

Find the balance. A whole new breed of tires has been spawned because of the Jeep JK popularity. Hybrids. Cooper STT Pros, KO2s, Mickey Deegans.... AT construction with mud tire tread pattern. Depends on where and how you'll wheel. If you arent going to wheel much, but want a mud tire look, a lot of Midwest to Southeast Jeepers like the Coopers... work both on and off, but dont sacrifice as much comfort.

._______
/_l__[___],
l--|--|--L
-OlllllllO]
(o)_) (o)_)o-)_)
post #12 of 15 Old 06-20-2017, 01:43 PM
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by propped1 View Post
Most people - if they have two - have a snow and summer set, but a road and trail set isnt practical. Almost everyone needs to drive some distance on the highway to get to where they are wheeling. Not putting a set of BFG Red Labels on for a wheeling trip where I'll be on the highway for 4 hours round trip. They are 650 each. Cant put them in the Jeep to take down. Where you gonna put them? In your tent? What if youre not camping? Bomber Run.

You get the most aggressive tread you can get that you can tolerate on the highway. A set of Pitbull Rockers for a daily driver is in my taste ridiculous. Loud, dont last long, hard to balance, etc. There is a reason that Nitto is selling a lot of trail grapplers right now. One is price point, two is tread pattern, three is relatively quiet for a true mud tire. I am on my second set of Toyo MTs. Little more, but I think better design, quieter still, and when coupled with beadlocks at 6 psi, they are sticky as hell.

Find the balance. A whole new breed of tires has been spawned because of the Jeep JK popularity. Hybrids. Cooper STT Pros, KO2s, Mickey Deegans.... AT construction with mud tire tread pattern. Depends on where and how you'll wheel. If you arent going to wheel much, but want a mud tire look, a lot of Midwest to Southeast Jeepers like the Coopers... work both on and off, but dont sacrifice as much comfort.
Don't know how you can say road and trail sets are not practical in such a generality. From Nov to March I drive the Jeep primarily as a support vehicle in my Company - 450 miles round trips 2-3 times week add up. Doing that on ANY tire over 300 bucks is not as practical as a "cheap" set of Coopers.
Then from March to Nov I drive maybe 30 miles around town per week and longest run to an off road outing is 300-400 round trip. the Pits weren't "friendly" but lasted me 5 years and still had over 70% of their tread left. Yes it WAS my bad to keep em on for the return half of 3600 mile round trip to Rubicon (I went to Ca on the coops with the pits behind me in a utility trailer - swapped and stored trailer, doors etc at a friends shop in San Diego then rolled the pits from there to Rubicon and back - where I got lazy and decided to run the pits home as at five years old I simply had not gotten enough miles on em and they were about to be "aged" off anyway)... The four previous runs had been trailered.

I've got the PB AT/X summer set on now - just waiting a driveshaft to give them their first miles. I hit em with a durometer and they are MUCH softer than your Toyos... so not a good all around cost per mile tire! But practical for my needs!

J Wm Bishop EA, ASADE
The wagon should, of course, be as light as possible, but strength should not be sacrificed to lightness, for on any but the regularly traveled roads, the wagon will get many a
post #13 of 15 Old 06-21-2017, 05:59 AM
propped1
2007 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbishop View Post
Don't know how you can say road and trail sets are not practical in such a generality. From Nov to March I drive the Jeep primarily as a support vehicle in my Company - 450 miles round trips 2-3 times week add up. Doing that on ANY tire over 300 bucks is not as practical as a "cheap" set of Coopers.
Then from March to Nov I drive maybe 30 miles around town per week and longest run to an off road outing is 300-400 round trip. the Pits weren't "friendly" but lasted me 5 years and still had over 70% of their tread left. Yes it WAS my bad to keep em on for the return half of 3600 mile round trip to Rubicon (I went to Ca on the coops with the pits behind me in a utility trailer - swapped and stored trailer, doors etc at a friends shop in San Diego then rolled the pits from there to Rubicon and back - where I got lazy and decided to run the pits home as at five years old I simply had not gotten enough miles on em and they were about to be "aged" off anyway)... The four previous runs had been trailered.

I've got the PB AT/X summer set on now - just waiting a driveshaft to give them their first miles. I hit em with a durometer and they are MUCH softer than your Toyos... so not a good all around cost per mile tire! But practical for my needs!
Most people wouldnt even think about putting that on a daily. Not everyone is most people. That why I added "In my taste". I even mentioned that as well in my comment.

As for Pitbull Rockers - a 37/12.5r17 Pitbull Rocker is a $500 list price each shoe. If you get 35K on a 5 tire rotation you are lucky. Twice as much for half the miles. You had em for 5 years.... I had my last set of toyos for 5 years and put 27K on them. Then sold them for 1500 with the wheels because they still had 80% tread left. How many miles did the pits take to wear out? Im not saying they are a bad tire. I have friends who own them. They love them. None of them are daily drivers though.

Also, to bring a set of tires with you need a trailer, store trailer, etc. You have a friends shop. Where is everyone else doing that? For again "most people"? This isn't practical.

._______
/_l__[___],
l--|--|--L
-OlllllllO]
(o)_) (o)_)o-)_)
post #14 of 15 Old 06-21-2017, 07:53 AM
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by propped1 View Post
How many miles did the pits take to wear out?
Dont know - I overdrove em on the freeway and blew em out before I wore em out. I had just over 17K total miles on em over 5 years. The gear I take with me is not needed and becomes extra baggage when I get to trail head - if not staging out of friends garage like I did last year - I use RV storage, self storage etc - three years in a row I stored the tow veh and trailer at an RV park in So Lake Tahoe one year at a Self Store yard in Minden. The AT will save me the time and effort to swap and negate the need for the trailer. Hell planning the trip and making all the reservations is a big part of the fun! (Picture Wile E Coyote....) this year I am dropping my doors and excess baggage at a self store in Reno (12 bucks). The group I wheel with gathers from 6 states so we ALL have this issue to resolve.

Who am I kidding lol - my excess baggage outweighs even the most qualified psychiatrist...

No a tire like the pit is NOT practical as a DD if you drive higher mileages. My commute to the office all summer is 2.7 miles round trip, so at MOST without the long trips, I would see at most 3K a year. Its a 35K mile tire so it would age off at less than half its life! But on the trail its night and day for traction - so worth the trade off. And I got 300 each for the remaining three they had so much tread left! BUT again its practical to run two sets winter (snow) and summer. I do not off road at all in the winter (no time) and we don't need snow tires, so I am merely tapping that same strategy to get a lower cost per mile overall. So its practical to use that to my advantage getting good off road traction when I DO have time to off road.

But I will agree - if your making tire swaps every time you off road - no way too much work - but for seasonal swaps where one season is 90% off road and 10% street and second season is 0 off road - its VERY practical!

J Wm Bishop EA, ASADE
The wagon should, of course, be as light as possible, but strength should not be sacrificed to lightness, for on any but the regularly traveled roads, the wagon will get many a
post #15 of 15 Old 06-21-2017, 09:26 AM
Wrigley
2013 JK Wrangler 

Cooper Discoverer AT/3 currently on my DD. It's a rather aggressive looking tread and I'm quite impressed with the ride.

Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.