Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Turn signal malfunction?

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  MyZombieJeep 
#1 ·
Hello fellow jeepers, it would appear that I have a little gremlin hidden somewhere in my Jeep. My left turn signal works great, it has no problems. My right turn signal, however, does not. What happens is that sometimes when I try turning it on, it clicks real quick. Something like 2-3 times faster than normal. I've checked, and when this happens, the turn signals do not light up. From my research, this can come from a couple of things:

1. One of the turn signal bulbs is out - But since it sometimes works, sometimes doesn't work, it leads me to believe that this is not the case.

2. The flasher relay is out - Would this cause only one turn signal to not work?

3. The turn signal stock is work out - I could see how this could be the culprit, but I would like to avoid shelling out ~$80 when that isn't the problem

4. There is a short somewhere in the wiring - How would I find it?

5. Is there something else?

And on top of this, I have 2 error codes, P0158 and P0058. Would my problem with the turn signal cause either of these error codes?
Please, I would love your (expert) advice on which I should try first.

See less See more
#2 ·
Could still be a bulb. Sometimes the filament will break, but still make occasional contact and work for a while. Eventually they stop working altogether.
If you pull out the bulbs and inspect them closely while tapping on them, you can usually spot them.
Could also be a bad socket. Sometimes they get corroded, or the springy wires in them get messed up. Something else to check when you pop out the bulbs...

#3 ·
I have had the same thing Kruzin describes, quite a few times over the years. The filament will burn out, but will temporarily "weld" itself back together when it makes contact as it flails around inside the bulb. It can happen multiple times before it gives up altogether.

The JK directional lights do not have a flasher relay as cars did years ago, so #2 in your list is not a factor.

Regarding the codes you have, both refer to oxygen sensor 2/2, which is the lower sensor on the driver's side, (assuming yours is a left-hand drive JK).
P0058 indicates a bad sensor heater circuit. P0158 indicates a bad sensor signal circuit.
Since both circuits on the same sensor are out, start by looking for a loose connector on the sensor, or burned/broken wires leading to the sensor.

#5 ·
I know that the clock springs are inherently weak as well on the 2008-2010 JKs also, although I don't think that would be causing this issue.

#6 ·
I could see how the clock spring could cause it, I have not gotten the recall for my clock spring fixed yet. I've been waiting for summer break to do this since when I took it do the dealership over spring break, they were out of parts.

Also, I'm trying to save a trip across town so I can study for my finals, and what I seem to find on amazon are all LED turn signals. Could I just buy one of these and install it and have no issues?

https://www.amazon.com/LUYED-Lumens-Bright-144-EX-Chipsets/dp/B01F6NRSP0/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1493139955&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=turn+signal+bulbs&psc=1

It says it will fit my 09 jk, but I'm not sure on what the overall consequences of changing to LEDs would do.

#7 ·
Its the plug harness. Gets loose. Had same thing happen to mine. Plug feels tight but has play. Wrapped it super tight with electrical tape and hasnt happened again in roughly a year.

#9 ·
the fast flash is the CANBUS telling you a lamp is not lighting (the old flasher style slows down when a lamp is not lighting and speeds up when a trailer is connected).

If bulbs don't fix it, reseat the harness plugs, and anchor the harness if its come loose from any retainers along the route - all the way from rear to front. Pull both lights - the right side is fed from a plug behind the left light... and if your water barrier (foam filler inside rear fender) is compromised that could cause the issue of plug corroding. I pulled the 12's left light off to add towing diodes - the foam panel was laying sideways and the harness was flopping loose (which can only add strain to the connections) - that was on a 2 month old Jeep...

#13 ·
What happens with the trailer wiring is if its not tied up properly and routed correctly, it will lay on the muffler and eventually melt thru the insulation, shorting something to the muffler.

Dont ask me how I know this.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#14 ·
I think he understands that - his questioning was more along the lines of why suggest looking for a burnt wire when changing the bulb solved the problem... And well frankly I'm curious about that as well.

I changed a headlight on my RV last month, works great. Now should I go pull all the wiring out and inspect it just to make sure it really was just a dead bulb? I shouldn't assume that the fact that after I changed it - it works, means anything?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.