Turbo my 2013 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Turbo my 2013 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-27-2013, 06:47 PM   #16
jonballi
2012 JK Wrangler 

WyoCommander,

Turbocharging is a great option. A turbo will make more HP and Torque than a supercharger at the same boost levels. Sized properly, you can build full boost at very low RPM's.

jonballi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2013, 07:33 PM   #17
BradfordRovers
2008 JK Wrangler 

For what its worth, I have the AEV/Magnuson Supercharger, and I love it. Zero check engine lights, and factory level of drivability. Turbos are great, but how will that help you off road when your below RPMs to develop boost? I get boost from 1500rpm all the way to 4500 rpm when it begins to drop off a bit. I also live in Colorado where I need the power on the highway etc, but at least with a supercharger, you also benefit with useable power off road. Turbos can be a great option, but many people think its "free power" and that's false. Turbos also significantly raise underhood temps, and if you do a bit of homework on your TIPM (your underhood fusebox) they don't react very well to overheating, and it will render your Jeep useless if it fails. Both Turbocharging, and Supercharging will affect your mileage, and if mileage is your goal, then neither will help in that department.
BradfordRovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2013, 06:40 AM   #18
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfordRovers View Post
Both Turbocharging, and Supercharging will affect your mileage, and if mileage is your goal, then neither will help in that department.
I disagree on the mileage point. My RIPP SC actually increased my MPG, as advertised, if I drive it nicely. Granted, the first few weeks of enjoying the extra power, , my MPG were down in the single digits like a '57 Chevy.
But after I learned to drive it respectfully, I have seen it increase 2-4 mpg over what it was w/o the supercharger.
Re-inventing the circle and straight line.
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #19
BradfordRovers
2008 JK Wrangler 

I actually agree also. Once I got my foot out of it, and drove it normally, my mileage is at minimum unaffected.
BradfordRovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2013, 04:02 PM   #20
BlueBabySound
2014 JK Wrangler 

Am I the only one that has a problem with them calling it a HEMI?

Quote:
The current-production "Hemi" V8, with its pinched chamber, does not have true hemispherical combustion chambers despite the name; rather, it bears a closer resemblance to the mid-1950s polyspherical chamber, which Chrysler engineers developed as a lower-cost alternative head for their V8 engines.
Unread 12-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #21
Jared89
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 715racing View Post
ANYBODY that says a Hemi is a boat anchor has NO IDEA what they are talking about.

You can tell the respect for Jeep that 222doc has by his "Pentaticker" smart a$$ comment.

Hemi conversions work very well in Wranglers. I've driven two, and they were incredible. I personally wouldn't insult my Jeep by putting a Chevy engine in it.

As for turbos...I have a twin turbo 2012 Challenger, and while it is an animal, I really think a positive displacement blower is your best bet. You don't want ANY lag off road, and even the best turbo systems have a little.

And for the record, the new Camaro V6 has a one piece head/exhaust manifold on both sides, as do engines from Lotus, Honda, and others.
I agree with doc Hemi is not the best option. Ls is a much better choice is every aspect Imo. Ls is lighter by ALOT better fule mileage. I know you have said you drove a Hemi jk but not owned one. There are a quite a few threads that Hemi owners have serious over heating issues not that that is all them but many people do with conversions done by big shops.
Jared89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2013, 09:17 PM   #22
WyoCommando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared89
I agree with doc Hemi is not the best option. Ls is a much better choice is every aspect Imo. Ls is lighter by ALOT better fule mileage. I know you have said you drove a Hemi jk but not owned one. There are a quite a few threads that Hemi owners have serious over heating issues not that that is all them but many people do with conversions done by big shops.
What is the cost difference from conversion and supercharger?
WyoCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2013, 09:29 PM   #23
Abmorrisc12
2014 JK Wrangler 

I would love a Ripp supercharger.
Abmorrisc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2013, 09:24 AM   #24
rixkix
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBabySound View Post
Am I the only one that has a problem with them calling it a HEMI?
It's a SEMI-HEMI.
rixkix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #25
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoCommando View Post
What is the cost difference from conversion and supercharger?
A Hemi conversion kit costs about $5000. But you still need to provide the engine and the transmission, and extras (cruise control, HD radiator, exhaust, etc). Takes about 40+ hours, if you know what you are doing.

The RIPP SC costs about $5000 and is a DIY kit, zero-check engine light, instant +100 HP. I installed mine in about 8-10 hours, using average tools in the garage.
Re-inventing the circle and straight line.
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.