JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   JK Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/)
-   -   Turbo my 2013 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/turbo-my-2013-wrangler-rubicon-unlimited-1828906/)

WyoCommando 11-25-2013 09:18 PM

Turbo my 2013 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited

I'm looking to install a turbo. I'm in Wyoming and need to know who is the best option for me to install this thing. Someone in the connecting states would be nice. Any advice?

Thanks

222Doc 11-25-2013 09:45 PM

they have a crack for 13's? pooch the warranty? these thing spit valves under normal use.....

WyoCommando 11-25-2013 09:51 PM

Good to know! Don't know if anyone has done it yet...Not looking for a lot of boost just a little more power... Got any ideas?

brianjw 11-25-2013 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WyoCommando
Good to know! Don't know if anyone has done it yet...Not looking for a lot of boost just a little more power... Got any ideas?

Ripp sells a supercharger.

WyoCommando 11-25-2013 10:10 PM

I'm looking at them now...not bad! I'm not looking to make a racer, just want more power. How do the engines hold up?

WyoCommando 11-25-2013 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WyoCommando
I'm looking at them now...not bad! I'm not looking to make a racer, just want more power. How do the engines hold up?

I know gas mileage goes down considerably, that's why I wanted to go turbo...more efficient.

715racing 11-25-2013 10:46 PM

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/phoenix-engines.html

You might want to look at this before you turbo it. Kits might be available through Chrysler, or maybe a factory option?

How sweet would a 420 hp, twin turbo Wrangler be! I want one!

73azbronco 11-26-2013 12:00 AM

You might be better off going for a hemi conversion.

Katmandu 11-26-2013 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WyoCommando (Post 18019690)
I'm looking at them now...not bad! I'm not looking to make a racer, just want more power.

You're looking in the wrong powerband with a turbo on a Jeep. You want a supercharger for that low end grunt.

Have you considered nitrous ?

2Five22 11-26-2013 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WyoCommando (Post 18019754)
I know gas mileage goes down considerably, that's why I wanted to go turbo...more efficient.

Turbos are no more efficient than superchargers for every day use in vehicles. The decrease in mileage comes from the driver's use of the available power increase.

The prominent engineering problem with turbocharging a JK[U] is that there is no exhaust manifold from which one can route the exhaust gas through the turbo twin impeller. The exhaust connects directly to the heads.

The other engineering problems are installation of the intercooler into the radiator/AC condenser pairing, a suitable air intake inlet, modification of the engine control programming, rebuilding the oil lubrication and cooling system to handle the increased heat load being dumped into it, and smoothing of the inlet/exhaust airflow plumbing.

Supercharging has the benefit of producing immediate power at any increase in RPM. Turbos have lag - the amount varies, but it is there and it isn't an ideal situation in off roading. Turbos are also less efficient in lower humidity, high altitude, and warmer/hot climates due to reduced air density. They also do not like heat and they generate lots of it.

My experiences are based on my ownership of a 1987 Grand National and racing it.

rixkix 11-26-2013 09:04 AM

I just bought a 2011 Rubicon and was thinking supercharger or 5.7 conversion. I was ordering stuff from 4WP and saw the RIPP. Never heard of them before. Looking at all options now.

222Doc 11-26-2013 01:00 PM

turbo is only "efficient" when not in boost. you pull even a few pounds and its eating more fuel. unless you are running it lean and that wont work, long.

Ripp has the best rep it seems for these power mods. BUT if you have a jeep with 286 hp and it is not enough perhaps you should have bought a Escalade. If you are going with larger tires Gears are needed even IF you get a blower or any other "pump". As for a Hemi? its a boat anchor. you going to put an IRON block, might as well drop a 572 in it an run a carb. The best V8 convesions are the Ls and a 6L80e any day.
A 5.3 with a 6speed will get at least the same MPG as the 3.6. heck the new Gen VVc Ls is getting better mpg than all the v6 pentatickers.

I would not even dream of tampering with this motor as it is. Think about the head design. Where is all that heat from a turbo going to? They have had to redesign these heads and in no way have any of these been on the road that long to tell if its really fixed. they claimed this was the most test thing since birth control. Like the health care act guess we have to drive it to find out what is in it.

I know our 012 will one day see a transplant i have very little faith in this design. No one cast a exhaust manifold into ahead excepting to be cheep and one size fits all. they tried this years ago it never goes well. and is a dead end unless some will make a after market head with no freeking cast in exhaust manifold.

715racing 11-27-2013 01:48 PM

ANYBODY that says a Hemi is a boat anchor has NO IDEA what they are talking about.

You can tell the respect for Jeep that 222doc has by his "Pentaticker" smart a$$ comment.

Hemi conversions work very well in Wranglers. I've driven two, and they were incredible. I personally wouldn't insult my Jeep by putting a Chevy engine in it.

As for turbos...I have a twin turbo 2012 Challenger, and while it is an animal, I really think a positive displacement blower is your best bet. You don't want ANY lag off road, and even the best turbo systems have a little.

And for the record, the new Camaro V6 has a one piece head/exhaust manifold on both sides, as do engines from Lotus, Honda, and others.

HappyTrails 11-27-2013 02:18 PM

Speaking from two years experience with a RIPP SC on my 3.8L, I love it.
RIPP has a kit for the 2013 available. Take a look at that.

But before you drop the $$, I would regear the axles according to the tire size you have/want.

If that is not enough change, then consider the RIPP SC. The first time I stomped on it, I had the "deer in the headlights stare". I think I had to change my shorts afterwards. Now I drive it "respectfully" and actually have seen an increase of 2-4 MPG as advertised. Just be sure to respect the additional power, because it certainly won't respect your stock drivetrain. :laugh: (i.e. one twisted driveshaft and one snapped axle shaft...take a look at my PHOTO album for proof).

WyoCommando 11-27-2013 07:02 PM

Thanks everyone for all of the great input! I think I agree that a turbo is not what I want. I'll look at the RIPP instead. I didn't know it was out there.
Again...Thanks

The time now is 02:26 PM.