True trac - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > True trac

Only 2 Days left to win $3,800 Jeep Parts!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAttention seahawks fans!!! Want to save some $$$ ??!!

Unread 01-10-2015, 11:28 AM   #1
2008 JK Wrangler 

True trac

Here is another question I have gotten different answers on. I currently have 3:73 gears can I use the same carrier in a 3:73 and 4:56?
Will I have to drill out the ring bolt holes. If I have to drill out the ring bolt holes wouldn't it harder than the back of my brothers head?

870 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2015, 11:56 AM   #2
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

4.56:1 will fit a d30 with stock carrier with out drilling the holes (limit is 4.88:1 - drilling for a higher numerical is possible BUT: ).

I would never recommend drilling a ring carrier for most applications. Some folks do - but as you already understand it is hardened - hardening is done AFTER the oem holes are drilled and tapped. Hardening effects the surface - so as you drill through - you stress that hardening depth - later you will have spider cracks at the bolt holes at that first thread. They spread from there... and the new threads are all in unhardened material. About the only use I would say go ahead and drill - is a racer or other project where overall reliability has a MUCH lower priority than immediate capability...

Cant answer about your brothers head - but NOTHING is as hard as MY brothers head...(we're business partners lol)
Unread 01-10-2015, 02:43 PM   #3
LVCapo
The Voice of Reason

2013 JK Wrangler 

I went from 3.73 to 4.56, same carrier....but you do have to drill for the TrueTrac, you'll want to take it to a machine shop or off-road shop to get drilled, it's a pain in the ***.
LVCapo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2015, 03:24 PM   #4
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVCapo View Post
I went from 3.73 to 4.56, same carrier....but you do have to drill for the TrueTrac, you'll want to take it to a machine shop or off-road shop to get drilled, it's a pain in the ***.
Now I am curious - http://www.quadratec.com/products/16100_602.htm shows the same carrier for 3.73 and numerically higher (which would include 4.56 and uses the stock diameter gear set) - I understand you would need to drill the 3.54 and lower to use IT with any 3.73 and up set (and my opinion on drilling remains the same)... what is the issue with using a carrier that claims to use the gear set he wants to run?
Unread 01-10-2015, 04:13 PM   #5
LVCapo
The Voice of Reason

2013 JK Wrangler 

If I remember correctly, the holes are 7/16" and the TrueTracs are 1/2". I had Adams Driveshaft drill mine out.
Unread 01-10-2015, 04:23 PM   #6
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
If I remember correctly, the holes are 7/16" and the TrueTracs are 1/2". I had Adams Driveshaft drill mine out.
Oh that makes more sense - drilling is done to the ring - not the carrier.

I would think inserting the carrier down to 7/16 would be a better option... drilling the ring weakens the shoulder of the bolt hole...
Unread 01-10-2015, 04:31 PM   #7
98tjsahara
1998 TJ Wrangler 

From what I've researched, If you're using the stock 3.73 ring gear, it has 1/2" ring gear bolts. The Detroit Truetrac has 7/16" bolt holes. Therefore, the holes on the Truetrac need to be enlarged to 1/2" in order to properly fit with stock 3.73 gear set.

Assuming that is correct, if you upgrade to an aftermarket gear set such as 4.56, will you be able to reuse the same Truetrac?
Unread 01-10-2015, 04:35 PM   #8
LVCapo
The Voice of Reason

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
My bad, other way around, the TrueTrac is 7/16", the holes are 1/2"....the True Trac needs to be drilled out. The problem is the metal is 56-58 on the Rockwell scale.
Reading back over this he may not need to drill if it's the front, I think the D30 is 7/16"....
Unread 01-10-2015, 04:38 PM   #9
LVCapo
The Voice of Reason

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tjsahara View Post
From what I've researched, If you're using the stock 3.73 ring gear, it has 1/2" ring gear bolts. The Detroit Truetrac has 7/16" bolt holes. Therefore, the holes on the Truetrac need to be enlarged to 1/2" in order to properly fit with stock 3.73 gear set.

Assuming that is correct, if you upgrade to an aftermarket gear set such as 4.56, will you be able to reuse the same Truetrac?
Correct on the first part....

On the aftermarket gears, yes... I went from stock 3.73 to Yukon 4.56, no problems at all.
Unread 01-10-2015, 04:38 PM   #10
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

Oh great.

Now MY head just went to mush...

lol
Unread 01-10-2015, 04:40 PM   #11
LVCapo
The Voice of Reason

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbishop View Post
Oh great.

Now MY head just went to mush...

lol
Yeah yeah, cut me some slack, I'm still on a good Vicodin diet.....
Unread 01-10-2015, 04:57 PM   #12
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Re-gear when the True Trac is first installed and don't worry about it. No reason to pay labor for the same job twice plus you don't have to worry about drilling.

I'm Running True Tracs front and rear in my 13 JK with Yukon 4.88's (with 35x12.50R17 Goodyear MTR/K) and no drilling was needed front or rear.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
SLADE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2015, 04:59 PM   #13
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Good price on Yukon Gears and install kits...

http://www.4ws.com/jeep-wrangler-jk-...ront-rear.html
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
SLADE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2015, 12:33 PM   #14
98tjsahara
1998 TJ Wrangler 

If you stick with factory gears, the install can be done at home with basic tools and a dial indicator to check backlash. The pinion depth does not change, you just have to make sure backlash is in spec by adding/subtracting shims to move the ring gear side to side. Which is not always needed, sometimes it is a direct swap.
Unread 01-11-2015, 05:13 PM   #15
2008 JK Wrangler 

I would like to thank everyone for their help. I should have specified this is for a rear d44. I would like to put it in now with the 3:73 and then regear later to 4:88 and use the same carrier. This is going to be a DIY project. But I don't want to drill out the holes not because I can't but I would imagine it is hardened. It seems like maybe a grizzly locker may be the way to go.
870 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.