Tru-Lok Inner Workings - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Tru-Lok Inner Workings

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdMarch Madness LOCKER SALE + FREE SHIPPING + $30-$50 REBATE

Unread 01-05-2010, 02:40 PM   #1
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Tru-Lok Inner Workings

Someone on another forum asked how the Tru-Lok on the JK works.
This is what I posted. Thought some people here might be interested, too.

Reference the picture below.
The Electromagnet causes the Moveable Dog Clutch to engage the square teeth on the side gear.
This locks the side gear to the differential case, making the side gear turn only with the case.
This makes the spider gears unable to spin on their pins.
Since the spider gears can not spin, they drag the other side gear around with the case.
In the JK Tru-Lock differential, there are 4 spider gears, not just two as pictured.

End result: Both axles have to spin with the differential case, all as one unit.

ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2010, 03:26 PM   #2
MattJK09
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
Someone on another forum asked how the Tru-Lok on the JK works.
This is what I posted. Thought some people here might be interested, too.

Reference the picture below.
The Electromagnet causes the Moveable Dog Clutch to engage the square teeth on the side gear.
This locks the side gear to the differential case, making the side gear turn only with the case.
This makes the spider gears unable to spin on their pins.
Since the spider gears can not spin, they drag the other side gear around with the case.
In the JK Tru-Lock differential, there are 4 spider gears, not just two as pictured.

End result: Both axles have to spin with the differential case, all as one unit.

I'm lost, but very informative post!
Unread 01-05-2010, 06:02 PM   #3
USAntigoon
Retired from Forum
2008 JK Wrangler 

Here is some more background music....
USAntigoon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2015, 03:52 AM   #4
S_Bartfast
2007 JK Wrangler 

I've spent a lot of time trying to find information about how the Rubicon locker works and keep coming across this thread.

A couple of years after this thread was made an absolutely fantastic thread was started on this same forum that explains everything really clearly but for some reason this is the thread I keep coming across. I know this thread is now rather old but I thought I'd post a link to the OEM Rubicon Locker Study thread to guide others following the same footsteps as me.

Enjoy: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/o...study-1476570/
S_Bartfast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2015, 06:24 AM   #5
LIJeepJC
2012 JK Wrangler 

Can you engage, or SHOULD you engage the lockers when driving on say a snow covered road? Or is it strictly for low speed crawling?
LIJeepJC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2015, 07:27 AM   #6
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

Without modification the tru-lock can only be engaged in 4lo.
I would not lock my axles in snow and especially not in snow above 30mph. Reason is when locked the rig does not want to turn (rear wheels both turning at same speed wants to understeer, so more steering input is required). Snow ice etc takes away the front traction, no front traction and severe understeer could be very disastrous.
Unread 03-12-2015, 07:47 AM   #7
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbishop View Post
Without modification the tru-lock can only be engaged in 4lo.
I would not lock my axles in snow and especially not in snow above 30mph. Reason is when locked the rig does not want to turn (rear wheels both turning at same speed wants to understeer, so more steering input is required). Snow ice etc takes away the front traction, no front traction and severe understeer could be very disastrous.
To add to that, lets say you have the rear locked, and the tires lose traction. The rear end can, and probably will, swing to one side, leaving you headed for the ditch, or on-coming traffic.

Unlocked, one tire can spin while the other retains some traction to keep the vehicle straight.
Unread 03-12-2015, 08:43 AM   #8
LIJeepJC
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
To add to that, lets say you have the rear locked, and the tires lose traction. The rear end can, and probably will, swing to one side, leaving you headed for the ditch, or on-coming traffic.

Unlocked, one tire can spin while the other retains some traction to keep the vehicle straight.
Makes sense... Thanks!
LIJeepJC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2015, 08:44 AM   #9
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

This is always a contentions subject with people's opinions spanning the full range....
If you're in 4wd, we're assuming that conditions are bad and hopefully you're not driving very fast... The faster you're driving, the less you're going to be turning so the locker "shouldn't" rear it's ugly head. The side slip should only manifest in low speed driving like turning at in intersection.
You'll find people that have had auto lockers for decades and swear by them. You'll also find people that say lockers will murder your pets in their sleep....
Personally I put an LSD in the rear of mine and a full locker in the front. So far, it's been invisible.

There are some fantastic older videos on YouTube that show step by step how a differential and locker works..
The guy that invented the Diff was a freaking genius.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2015, 09:30 AM   #10
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84043 View Post
You'll find people that have had auto lockers for decades and swear by them. You'll also find people that say lockers will murder your pets in their sleep....
Absolutely. And I think a GOOD "mechanical operator" can support either style.

Its just not an anticipated vehicle reaction set I prefer!

I kinda like your approach... is your front a detroit or selectable? (I tend to lean away from detroits in front - possibly the old front drive drag experience... no other real world experience)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.