Trouble changing from 730N to 430N - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Trouble changing from 730N to 430N

Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 05-08-2013, 07:13 AM   #1
Don-T
2012 JK Wrangler 

Trouble changing from 730N to 430N

Sorry for the long post guys, but I think I need to supply all this information in the hope of getting some answers.
I have a 2012 JK that came with the 730N navigation system. I am not happy with the way the navigation works so I decided to “downgrade” to a 430N navigation system. The 730N has Uconnect built in, the 430N does not. I bought a used 430N with warrantee and a Uconnect kit to work with it. The Uconnect kit included simple instructions that end with some information about having a dealer flash the JK so the Uconnect will start to work.
I did the install myself, very easy to do. I called a local dealer about the flash, the service advisor said no problem. He even said he pulled up the configuration for the VIN number I gave him and supposedly made the necessary changes while I was on the phone with him. I then went to the dealer to have them flash the JK so the Uconnect would work. They tried to almost four hours to flash the JK with no luck. They first tried to tell me there is no microphone. Next they tried to tell me I have the wrong module. They even tried to tell me the Uconnect is built in to the 430N and they need to remove the external Uconnect module. I called the place I bought the parts from and they conformed I have all the correct parts and they are installed correctly. After that the dealer sent a request for tech support and has heard nothing back after two days.
As far as I understand the process the dealer has to go through it should be an easy process. The dealer needs to get to the vehicle configuration on the DealerConnect website and make the changes. I believe the changes are as follows:
Remove the 730N (RHR) from the configuration.
Add the 430N (RHB) to the configuration.
Add the Uconnect (RSP) to the configuration.
Save the configuration.
Using the StarScan tool, download the new configuration from the DealerConnect web site and flash the JK with the update and confirm the flash was successful.
Can anyone confirm this is correct or tell me what else needs to be done?
Does anyone know of a dealer in the Houston area that has experience doing this or something similar?
Thanks for the input on this.

Unread 05-08-2013, 07:21 AM   #2
cyberpyrot
2012 JK Wrangler 

yuo want to sell your 730?

Thought of the day
Trust people who like big butts they cannot lie...
cyberpyrot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2013, 10:04 AM   #3
nwbronco
2014 JK Wrangler 

Find another dealer. I have done this and replaced a few 130s as well. No flash required. If the mic is not working you have the wrong module. The 730 uses the same mic as the 430. It plugs into the uconnect module on the 430 and directly to the radio on the 730. I have placed 730 units is 130 equipped/no uconnect models and it was plug and play. I think the only reason they want to get it in starscan is so that the electronic record Chrysler has on your jeep is accurate.

Bob K.
'13 Black 10A Rubicon JKU
nwbronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2013, 11:38 AM   #4
toxicwaste29
2012 JK Wrangler 

I want to go from the 430 to the 730. Any suggestions or should i just go aftermarket.
toxicwaste29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2013, 11:51 AM   #5
cyberpyrot
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicwaste29 View Post
I want to go from the 430 to the 730. Any suggestions or should i just go aftermarket.
I would keep the 430N aparently there are loads of issues with the 730N this is why the OP switched units to begin with google jeep 730N radio issues. but if you are adoment about getting the 730N there going for $900 on ebay just let me know when you sell your 430N I want one to replace mine.

Thought of the day
Unread 05-08-2013, 01:08 PM   #6
cyberpyrot
2012 JK Wrangler 

Just so you know here are the diffrences between the two.

430N:
AM/FM/CD/DVD/MP3/HDD/NAV
Garmin navigation interface
Lane guidance feature guides you to the correct lane for an approaching turn or exit,
making unfamiliar intersections and exits easy to navigate
6.5" touch screen
SIRIUS Satellite Radio®
Satellite Radio replay buffer (last 30 minutes)
30GB hard drive (approx. 6,700 song capacity)
Audio jack for playing music through speakers
Album artwork
USB copy/read

Uconnect Voice Command (available)
- Hands-free Phone
- Remote USB port for iPod® connectivity (center console)
- Bluetooth streaming audio
- Hands-free SMS text messaging
- Allows control of music on iPod devices or memory sticks via voice command,
including song selection by ARTIST, SONG, and GENRE.
- Includes support for songs loaded onto USB memory sticks

730N:
Premium navigation radio with built-in Uconnect Voice Command and Enhanced GPS
6.5-inch Touch Screen
Single CD/DVD/MP3
Audio Jack
30 GB Hard Drive
Album Artwork
USB Copy only
SIRIUS Satellite Radio®
Harmon GPS Navigation
Uconnect Voice Command of phone , radio & music
iPod Control
Dead Reckoning
Split-screen capability
Voice Command of Navigation
Includes iPod® Control cable, which charges iPod compatible devices and allows remote control of music via radio or steering wheel controls

Thought of the day
Unread 05-08-2013, 02:17 PM   #7
Spank
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicwaste29 View Post
If you want something better, go aftermarket.

I've said it before: The 730N is a POS and isn't worth the cost, even used. Modern systems can be easily adapted to work with your steering wheel controls if that is a concern. The revised 730N released in 2011+ models hasn't really changed much since 2006-2007, so even used, you're still paying way too much for antiquated technology that's now 6 years old. The navigation is slow, the screen is pathetic, voice commands are a joke, and support for newer BT devices is lackluster.

The RER wasn't impressive when it was available for the JK in 2008 and the RHR isn't any better today.
Unread 05-08-2013, 04:25 PM   #8
Don-T
2012 JK Wrangler 

The latest from the dealer is this can't be done. They said tech support referred them to Mopar Accessories who supposedly told them you can't downgrade from the 730N. I tend to think they just don't want to loose any more money fooling with it. I am going to try one more dealer. If they can't do it I will try to get my money back.
Unread 05-09-2013, 06:54 AM   #9
xsdbs

Your steps to flashing the vehicle are correct, however there may be a small issue that you can take care of. On one comment from the dealer, he may have been correct.
The 730N and the 430N have different mic connections:
1) on the 730N, the mic is routed thru the factory harness and goes directly to the radio, where there is a gray 10 pin connector.
2) on the 430N, the mic is routed thru the factory harness and goes directly to the Uconnect modules 22 pin connector.
So my question is, when you installed the Uconnect kit, there was a harness that at one end plugged into the module (22 pin connector) and at the opposite end there was a female 22 pin connector that plugs into the dash harness, a 22 pin male connector that plugged into the radio and a 10 pin connector that plugged into the radio. This would have left the original 10 pin connector that was in the dash harness and plugged into the 730N basically hanging. Is this correct, or did you plug the 10 pin connector from the dash harness into the 430N?
The 10 pin connector that comes from the Uconnect module and plugs into the radio carries the audio signal from the module to the radio for music files. On the 730N the 10 pin connector supplies the mic signal.
There are 2 choices here now:
A) use the external mic that came in the Uconnect kit and plug it into the 3 pin black connector close to the modules 22 pin connector.
B) Modify the factory mic wiring that is in the original 10 pin connector from the dash harness to the 3 pin black connector on the Uconnect harness.
xsdbs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 08:23 AM   #10
Don-T
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsdbs View Post
Your steps to flashing the vehicle are correct, however there may be a small issue that you can take care of. On one comment from the dealer, he may have been correct.
The 730N and the 430N have different mic connections:
1) on the 730N, the mic is routed thru the factory harness and goes directly to the radio, where there is a gray 10 pin connector.
2) on the 430N, the mic is routed thru the factory harness and goes directly to the Uconnect modules 22 pin connector.
So my question is, when you installed the Uconnect kit, there was a harness that at one end plugged into the module (22 pin connector) and at the opposite end there was a female 22 pin connector that plugs into the dash harness, a 22 pin male connector that plugged into the radio and a 10 pin connector that plugged into the radio. This would have left the original 10 pin connector that was in the dash harness and plugged into the 730N basically hanging. Is this correct, or did you plug the 10 pin connector from the dash harness into the 430N?
The 10 pin connector that comes from the Uconnect module and plugs into the radio carries the audio signal from the module to the radio for music files. On the 730N the 10 pin connector supplies the mic signal.
There are 2 choices here now:
A) use the external mic that came in the Uconnect kit and plug it into the 3 pin black connector close to the modules 22 pin connector.
B) Modify the factory mic wiring that is in the original 10 pin connector from the dash harness to the 3 pin black connector on the Uconnect harness.
Thanks for the comments and questions.

I left the original 10 pin connector from the factory microphone hanging loose under the 430N. I plugged the supplied microphone into the 3 pin connector. There is a 10 pin female connection on the back of the new Uconnect module that is unused. The 10 pin female connector on the back of the 430N has the 10 pin connector from the supplied Uconnect harness plugged into it.

I used option "A" when I did the install. I thought about option "B" but decided to hold off on that until I get it all working.

I believe the wiring is terminated correctly, am I wrong? I also believe the problem is the dealer missed something when changing the configuration. Do you know if the 730N's built in Uconnect hardware show up as a node on the network or if only the RHR shows up?
Unread 05-09-2013, 08:58 AM   #11
xsdbs

The connections all seem to be already correct the way that you did it. I laid the steps out the way that I did in case that you did it differently you might have noticed something. The 10 pin connector that is on the module itself is for End of the line testing at the Uconnect plant and is not used in the vehicle.
The RHR Uconnect isn't on any network node, the radio is and the Uconnect is part of the radio. So it seems that all you need is a good tech to flash the vehicle properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don-T View Post
Thanks for the comments and questions.

I left the original 10 pin connector from the factory microphone hanging loose under the 430N. I plugged the supplied microphone into the 3 pin connector. There is a 10 pin female connection on the back of the new Uconnect module that is unused. The 10 pin female connector on the back of the 430N has the 10 pin connector from the supplied Uconnect harness plugged into it.

I used option "A" when I did the install. I thought about option "B" but decided to hold off on that until I get it all working.

I believe the wiring is terminated correctly, am I wrong? I also believe the problem is the dealer missed something when changing the configuration. Do you know if the 730N's built in Uconnect hardware show up as a node on the network or if only the RHR shows up?
Unread 05-09-2013, 09:30 AM   #12
Don-T
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsdbs View Post
The connections all seem to be already correct the way that you did it. I laid the steps out the way that I did in case that you did it differently you might have noticed something. The 10 pin connector that is on the module itself is for End of the line testing at the Uconnect plant and is not used in the vehicle.
The RHR Uconnect isn't on any network node, the radio is and the Uconnect is part of the radio. So it seems that all you need is a good tech to flash the vehicle properly.
Thanks for the information, I wondered what the 10 in connector on the Uconnect module was for. I will try a couple more dealer techs before I give up. If I am able to get this working I would like to try to replace the add-on microphone with the original microphone, I keep reading the original is much better. I guess I can cut the harness on the microphone side of the three pin connector and cut the 10 pin connector off the original microphone cable and then attach the original microphone to the three pin connector. Do you know anything about the color codes, I have not yet looked at them?
Unread 05-10-2013, 12:08 PM   #13
xsdbs

I can look into this for you next week when I get back in town, okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don-T View Post
Thanks for the information, I wondered what the 10 in connector on the Uconnect module was for. I will try a couple more dealer techs before I give up. If I am able to get this working I would like to try to replace the add-on microphone with the original microphone, I keep reading the original is much better. I guess I can cut the harness on the microphone side of the three pin connector and cut the 10 pin connector off the original microphone cable and then attach the original microphone to the three pin connector. Do you know anything about the color codes, I have not yet looked at them?
Unread 05-13-2013, 08:36 AM   #14
xsdbs

were you able to get this issue taken care of? I just saw a member of a Ram forum, trying to do the same thing as you and is also having this same problem. I was just talking to a friend who has an Chrysler Eng contact about this swap. He said he'd check with him to see if this is possible or not. It does seem quite strange that you can go from any other radio to the 730N but not from the 730N to any other radio.
Unread 05-13-2013, 09:29 AM   #15
nwbronco
2014 JK Wrangler 

If anybody can get you the right answer it is xsdbs.

Bob K.
'13 Black 10A Rubicon JKU
nwbronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.