Trimming Pinch Seam - Seems Dangerous - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Trimming Pinch Seam - Seems Dangerous

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Steinjäger photo contest!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 01-30-2013, 10:43 AM   #1
screameans73
2010 JK Wrangler 

Trimming Pinch Seam - Seems Dangerous

Hello all.

My JKU is currently sitting on 33" tires on 20" wheels. After a few times out and running some easy to moderate trails and hitting some rocks and stumps I'm not real comfy with the sidewall in my current set up and I'm considering moving to a 16" or 17" wheel and 35" tires.

From what I gather from the FAQ tire and wheel section, I should be good considering I have a 3" lift and stubby front bumper. But just in case, what's the best way to trim the pinch seam?

I attached a pic to give some idea as to my lift and bumper clearances.

Thanks in advance.

resized.jpg  
screameans73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 11:09 AM   #2
DBA2GO
2008 JK Wrangler 

So, besides a great looking Jeep, what is the question?

Guess #1: Do you need to trim pinch seams w/ 3" lift & 35" tires: yes.
Guess #2: Will your bumper rub: don't know - test it.
Unread 01-30-2013, 11:09 AM   #3
MeatCurtains
2012 JK Wrangler 

Mark the cut off with some tape and cut the seam off with your choice of cutting tool, I prefer a cut off wheel. Fill the hole that is left with a quality epoxy and let it cure. Check it for gaps fill and repeat until sealed. Then paint it with a rust protectant paint.

Not as hard as you would think. Just take your time don't be in a hurry
MeatCurtains is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 11:17 AM   #4
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatCurtains View Post
Mark the cut off with some tape and cut the seam off with your choice of cutting tool, I prefer a cut off wheel. Fill the hole that is left with a quality epoxy and let it cure. Check it for gaps fill and repeat until sealed. Then paint it with a rust protectant paint.

Not as hard as you would think. Just take your time don't be in a hurry
Not sure the epoxy is needed. Expanding foam or body putty works just as good with less hassle.

But - hey - epoxy will bond forever.
Unread 01-30-2013, 11:38 AM   #5
screameans73
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBA2GO View Post
So, besides a great looking Jeep, what is the question?

Guess #1: Do you need to trim pinch seams w/ 3" lift & 35" tires: yes.
Guess #2: Will your bumper rub: don't know - test it.
Thank you very much!

Guess#1: Exactly, and crap....
Guess#2: Will do, I plan to ditch the rear bumper and stock carrier for an Ace bumber and carrier, that I "think" is shorter so rubbage may not be an issue there, but I won't know until it's installed obviously.
Unread 01-30-2013, 11:43 AM   #6
screameans73
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatCurtains

Not as hard as you would think. Just take your time don't be in a hurry.
Does this create any more vibration in the body? Also, am I looking to cut it diagnally or across and then down? Will either direction cause an issue with nearby welds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbishop View Post
Not sure the epoxy is needed. Expanding foam or body putty works just as good with less hassle.

But - hey - epoxy will bond forever.
I like forever, and won't mind the extra time it takes. Heck, I plan on finding a cutting tool and a really long extension cord before sneaking into a junk yard and "practicing" lol So patience is something I will definitely use.
Unread 01-30-2013, 11:47 AM   #7
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Careful if you cut deep, there is expanding foam crap back there and it is very flammable. I had a lot of smoke coming from my fender when the last piece fell out with foam. I thought "surely they wouldn't put something highly flammable in all the cavities", so I put a lighter to the little piece that fell out and "poof!"
Using a recip saw would probably create a lot less heat.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 11:48 AM   #8
MeatCurtains
2012 JK Wrangler 

You are only cutting off a little piece.

MeatCurtains is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 11:48 AM   #9
DBA2GO
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by screameans73 View Post
Does this create any more vibration in the body? Also, am I looking to cut it diagnally or across and then down? Will either direction cause an issue with nearby welds?

No

I like forever, and won't mind the extra time it takes. Heck, I plan on finding a cutting tool and a really long extension cord before sneaking into a junk yard and "practicing" lol So patience is something I will definitely use.
I'm guessing you're kidding; but, IMHO I wouldn't sneak into any junk yard unless I knew the dogs the owner lets out at night.
Unread 01-30-2013, 11:53 AM   #10
Demp
2013 JK Wrangler 

That video gives a decent description. Using a sizable rotary tool as he does definately simplifies versus a tiny rotozip or dremel. Reminds me that I need to get a new one, F little dremels.

Edit: Because Meat posts faster than I do AGAIN
Demp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 12:06 PM   #11
screameans73
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjw View Post
Careful if you cut deep, there is expanding foam crap back there and it is very flammable. I had a lot of smoke coming from my fender when the last piece fell out with foam. I thought "surely they wouldn't put something highly flammable in all the cavities", so I put a lighter to the little piece that fell out and "poof!"
Using a recip saw would probably create a lot less heat.
Thanks for the tip, I don't think GEICO would cover me if my Jeep went up in flames and it never occurred to me that noise suppression material would be in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatCurtains
You are only cutting off a little piece.
Awesome, appreciate the video, that helps alot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBA2GO
I'm guessing you're kidding; but, IMHO I wouldn't sneak into any junk yard unless I knew the dogs the owner lets out at night.
Correct, the junk yards are way to risky. My idiot neighbor kids Vega is much less dangerous, and I won't need as long of an extension cord Kidding again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demp
That video gives a decent description. Using a sizable rotary tool as he does definately simplifies versus a tiny rotozip or dremel. Reminds me that I need to get a new one, F little dremels.

Edit: Because Meat posts faster than I do AGAIN .
Appreciate the input. I've used Dremels for radio control gas cars, but man....just thinking of using it for this makes my head spin.

For some reason it seems what I'm giving up in the 20" rims and gaining in the 35's would be a wash. I'm missing something here I'm guessing.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.