Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Tried to Lower Sunrider Top But Couldn't!

1K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  smoothrivers 
#1 ·
Tried yesterday to lower, sunrider style, the soft top on my new Flame Red Unlimited Rubicon. Followed the directions in the writeup on this forum, and also in the owners' manual. But man, all I could do was unlatch the front latches and swing the sunvisors out of the way. Couldn't do anything else - worried that I would separate the top from the frame, so I stopped and lowered the windows instead.

Any tips or hints?

YoungTurk

#2 ·
YoungTurk said:
Tried yesterday to lower, sunrider style, the soft top on my new Flame Red Unlimited Rubicon. Followed the directions in the writeup on this forum, and also in the owners' manual. But man, all I could do was unlatch the front latches and swing the sunvisors out of the way. Couldn't do anything else - worried that I would separate the top from the frame, so I stopped and lowered the windows instead.

Any tips or hints?

YoungTurk
If it's anything like the TJ top, did you pull the rubber strips out from under the clip above the door?

#3 ·
You have to tear your fingers loose at the sockets, pulling the tabs out from above the front windows :brickwall good luck on the fingers :2thumbsup:

#5 ·
YoungTurk said:

Any tips or hints?

YoungTurk
Read the manual. As PearlJam and Dshizzle said, you've got to get the channels over the doors out. It is tough -- real tough the first time. I used my Jeep key to pull it out just a bit to get my finger in. The channels run from about 4 inches behind the windshield to the back edge of the rear door (before the rear quarter window panel).

The trickier part is getting the folds right so it lays (relatively) flat. Also, be sure to use the velcro strips to hold down the bows, at least if you plan to drive faster than 15mph.

#7 ·
The first time is extremely difficult. I actually took it to the dealer and told them to show me so I didn't break anything.

The manual says to start at the tabs between the front and rear door and work toward the front. He actually got it started from the front and worked his way back.

Now, it is very easy and I can do it the way the manual says. Be sure to unlatch the latches first and just work it. It is just very tight the first time.

#9 ·
here's my steps:

1. unclip the plastic out of the door surrounds. This is best done by starting at the pillar between the front and rear doors. Unclip them from the door surrounds. You can use a pen/key/etc to get it started. Once you do it a few times it will get easier.

2. once you unclip all 4 pieces, get in the jeep

3. move sun visors

4. Unclip the clips

5. Push up on both the front of the top AND the bar above your head.

#12 ·
strykermp5 said:
i usually pull the clips out before i unlatch it... that way there is less tension on the them
Me too. I think the manual says to do the clips last, but I find it easier to relax the top first.

It probably doesn't matter anymore. I've had it off a few times and it is now "broken in".

It will be 69 degrees in DFW today. I'm topless on the way home tonight for sure. :2thumbsup: :banana: :pickle:

#15 ·
tx-Skydiver said:
The first time is extremely difficult. I actually took it to the dealer and told them to show me so I didn't break anything. . .
That is so true about so many things in life... the first time is always the toughest. Once you know what you're doing and have the confidence knowing your not going to totally mess things up, it gets easier.

I like the idea of having the dealer show you. That way if it does break on the first time, they have to replace it.

#16 ·
Did you have problems getting it back? I got the sun rider pulled back ok, but man...putting the top back on was a mutha. It seemed like the passenger side was about an inch outside where it is supposed to seal at the windshield corner. I understand new tops are stiff, but geez...I had to fight for 30 minutes to get the thing back on. Is there something I missed?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.