trektop NX Removal? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > trektop NX Removal?

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 07-01-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
mjbinks
2011 JK Wrangler 

trektop NX Removal?

Hi all, I have seen a ton of posts and links related to the install but I am wondering how the removal goes. In particular, the factory top just unclips and folds. How does it work for the Trektop? How is it stored? Also, do you lose a massive amount of storage? Thanks!

mjbinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 08:16 PM   #2
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

when you pull the windows you just have a safari top, with the sunrider feature. When I pull it off completely I don't store it in the jeep. to take it off takes less than 5 minutes, pull windows, pop the sunrider pins, unhook the springs, slide rear bar, it's off.

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 01:41 PM   #3
joeorzechowski

2010 JK Wrangler 

I have had the safari rig up all summer. Probably takes 10 minutes to put the panels back on. The top is tight, looks great, does not leak. I just keep the panels in the back in case I am out and it rains. Plus you can roll the windows up, lock the car, walk away and its pretty secure.
resized.jpg

joeorzechowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 04:49 PM   #4
joeorzechowski

2010 JK Wrangler 

correction: try about 20-25 minutes. The rear panel takes the longest. I had the two sides on and it took 10 minutes. The back panel was a bear, even in extreme heat with it already stretched out.
Unread 07-10-2013, 05:16 PM   #5
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I can do mine in about 10 minutes the trick is to start all the zippers before sliding the bottoms of the side windows in the lip. If really tight it also helps to have the sun rider folded back to release tension on the top created by the wire and springs.

06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Unread 07-10-2013, 05:32 PM   #6
joeorzechowski

2010 JK Wrangler 

I agree and that is the way I did it just by chance for the first time the other day when I had my first re-install after a first removal. but most of the time was spent catching the second side zipper on the back panel. I need to adjust the spring from the initial set. I installed in my garage during a blizzard, but it was stored inside and out of the box for 2 weeks prior. Took me, by myself, 18 hours.
Unread 07-10-2013, 08:04 PM   #7
Repauli1
2008 JK Wrangler 

It helps a bunch if you have something to stand on, bucket, stool, ladder etc. when starting zippers. Leave bottom loose until rear window is in, and zipped. Then side sides, and put bottom tabs in place. About 7 minutes here.

As far as storage space, lay windows and top in back, no issues.
Unread 07-14-2013, 01:07 PM   #8
joeorzechowski

2010 JK Wrangler 

That is the best if not totally correct way to do it. Took them down over the weekend to break in the rig and do some wheelin. Put them back up filthy in 10 minutes or less. Otherwise you are just fighting the thing.
Unread 07-15-2013, 10:13 AM   #9
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeorzechowski View Post
That is the best if not totally correct way to do it. Took them down over the weekend to break in the rig and do some wheelin. Put them back up filthy in 10 minutes or less. Otherwise you are just fighting the thing.

Unread 07-15-2013, 06:07 PM   #10
Repauli1
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeorzechowski
Did u get dirty like I did this weekend?
Unread 07-17-2013, 03:17 PM   #11
joeorzechowski

2010 JK Wrangler 

About that dirty, I had the panels down/off so I had mud everywhere in the back with the seat removed as usual. But I kept the panels back there and they were filthy too. Its not worth screwing around with the panels unless you have the correct protocol for putting them back up. Could not do it on the trail when mud was flying in and it looked like rain- way too many skeeters out there. Just wheeled it. Took a good 30 minutes to clean the rig at home.
Unread 07-24-2013, 10:08 PM   #12
Repauli1
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeorzechowski
About that dirty, I had the panels down/off so I had mud everywhere in the back with the seat removed as usual. But I kept the panels back there and they were filthy too. Its not worth screwing around with the panels unless you have the correct protocol for putting them back up. Could not do it on the trail when mud was flying in and it looked like rain- way too many skeeters out there. Just wheeled it. Took a good 30 minutes to clean the rig at home.
**** 30 minutes, took me two days...nice and clean now, just waiting to try out the new AEV lift
Unread 07-28-2013, 02:43 PM   #13
joeorzechowski

2010 JK Wrangler 

I ran that rig with the safari top up and panels off in the mud, off road, for the first time since new. Its a 2010 and was only on road before that time. The carpet is the back in covered in mud- I need to figure out how to clean or get a pro detailer. I also need seat covers or seats that are not vinyl, soaking up stains.

Think carefully before going offroad with the panels off. I have all rubber mats in there plus a big rubber mat for the back (back row seats removed). They helped a bit.

I need to find some cleaner for the top now and cant reach the roof. It is stained with mud. The top can get grey- it should be kept black.

2nd install of the panels today. Word to the wise, once you figure out how to do it, takes about 10-15 minutes. Would be tough in the rain, but doable. You shouldn't be forcing it on or taking longer than 15 minutes. If so, doing it wrong. Stop, and refer to the info on the forum. I already broke a zipper pull and a fabric pull on install. Company would not replace.
img_0250-539x403-.jpg

img_0245-539x403-.jpg

Unread 07-28-2013, 03:07 PM   #14
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Pull the top off, use simple green and a brush, pull the rugs out, pull the floor drain plugs, hose the rugs down and the inside.

Unread 07-28-2013, 03:10 PM   #15
joeorzechowski

2010 JK Wrangler 

Great Advice. Thanks. New to cleaning the thing too.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.