Treadwright Tires doing a review. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Treadwright Tires doing a review.

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-13-2012, 09:52 AM   #1
mattlago
2012 JK Wrangler 

Treadwright Tires doing a review.

I am thinking of doing a review of Treadwright tires https://www.treadwright.com/ . I have no affiliation with this company but I had done a lot of research both on the net and with people I know and if people are interested then I will update this frequently for others to take a look at. If no interest, then I will move on. I know there is another person that was doing a review on another sight and also saw one done by (i think) 4wd magazine, but in my mind the more info the better. These are being mounted to a 2012 JKU 6 speed Rubicon.

These tires are retreads and as such, you will get many many opinions from people. They are not retreads done in a way similar to cemi tires. Youtube shows their manufacturing process and it is not simply slapping on some premade tread. See here
and here

I have a family member that has used them for years and swears by them, so that is what initially drove me in that direction. He has had zero issue with them so I thought I would gamble and see how they are. Why gamble? THEY ARE HALF THE PRICE OF COMPARABLE TIRES.

The tires I got are 315/70 R 17's which I think is 34.8 diameter tires. I paid about $1100.00 for 5 tires delivered to my door. They were here in about 4 days. I looked at the tires and was surprised at how similar the tread patter is to the stock Rubi BF's that came factory. See pics attached. First pic is factory BF, second is Treadwright.

Know up front that many of the large tire chains wont mount these tires to your factory rims. Especially if you have spacers (bought two sets of RC spacers for about $110). So I went to yahoo local and called one shop close to me and told him what I wanted to do and he said he would mount the spacers and 5 tires for $100.00. Sold. I should point out that I have a 2.5 inch lift and have trimmed the pinch seams for those that didnt know.

My initial impression in driving them is that they are fantastic. The extra diameter of the tires makes the first gear granny gear much more livable around town. I have 4.10 gears and was worried that on the freeway it would be an issue at speed and the 3.6 handles it with no issue. I was doing 75 on the freeway (confirmed by gps) and still had plenty of power on tap in 6th gear.

I noticed that there is an increase in sound with the aggressive pattern. It is not overwhelming or annoying, but there is more "humm" from the tires.

I havent had a chance as of yet to take them offroad and will update with that later. This weekend I have to highway trip 200 miles so I will be able to report back on that as well.

The tires come with a warranty and I saw discussion that someone had gotten 50k miles (dont know if that will happen) . Here is the warranty:
Uniformity Warranty: 6 Months / first 1/32” wear
Workmanship &
Materials of the
Retreading Process
Warranty:
2 Year / Free replacement first 12
months or 25% of tread (whichever
occurs first), then prorated to the final
2/32” of tread.

Some will say "why buy a 2012 and then put retreads on it?" and I will respond with "why not roll the dice on saving $1,000.00 for a tire that by all rights should equal other tires". Dont buy into all the negative press on retreads. There are different types and the technology has come a long way since the 60's.

Below is a before and after picture. If there is no interest in this, I will just keep the info to myself, but I thought others out there may have an interest. Good luck jeepin

img_1378.jpg   img_1386.jpg   img_1214.jpg   img_1382.jpg  

2012 JKU RUBI PALE TAN
mattlago is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2012, 10:05 AM   #2
J-Big
2012 JK Wrangler 

I too have been doing some research on these tires. Very interested in your experience with them.
J-Big is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2012, 10:27 AM   #3
DrHolliday

2011 JK Wrangler 

My bigest question with them is can you air them down and have them last. I tend to run 8-9 psi off road. Their warranty is voided if you run less then 15 psi.

My build thread
DrHolliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2012, 10:29 AM   #4
SilverStreaker
2012 JK Wrangler 

Looking forward to your reviews

My Wife's Jeep - 2007 Grand Cherokee - only mod - K&N Cold Air Intake system
SilverStreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2012, 10:57 AM   #5
mattlago
2012 JK Wrangler 

The air down is a good question that I dont know the answer too as of yet. But, I dont know if that is a factor of the tires as much as it is the factory wheels being too thin. I had the same concern but mostly due to rim size. Also, I included the warranty, but honestly for a 35 for $150, I just wanted to make sure I could return if there was an issue within a few months time. Save that, Im betting I will void the warranty like I do on everything else shortly.

Here is a video of a guy doing a review where he talks about airing them down and had no issues. He rates the tires pretty well excluding the fact that he went too big and wishes they had a 35, which they do now as thats what i got.

2012 JKU RUBI PALE TAN
Unread 01-13-2012, 12:56 PM   #6
teamgreen666
1994 YJ Wrangler 

i would like to get some myself and any review would help , thx..
teamgreen666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2012, 02:04 PM   #7
Greenway
2012 JK Wrangler 

Looking forward to your reviews of these.
The small things that you come across everyday, The norm that's overlooked until it is unseen, then when that comes you miss life, one thought, one smell, one sound can take you back home, then you realize your a thousand miles away, and then you get sick....
Greenway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2012, 03:18 PM   #8
Dpg612

Treadwrite also told me that running that tire on a factory wheel will void the tire warranty (tire is made for a wider rim). Not that they'd know but just saying.
Dpg612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2012, 03:27 PM   #9
DangFoo
I Had Bacon Today

2013 JK Wrangler 

mattlago:

You are in the correct Forum - this is much appreciated information. Any type of first-hand product review and sharing of experiences is welcome. I've looked on and off at treadwrights, but never pulled the trigger.

Chalk me up as another one under the interested category.
DangFoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2012, 03:57 PM   #10
schoony
2007 JK Wrangler 

I have these exact same tires and, as always, I am a advocate for treadwright tires. I haven't done any serious offroading on them, but light to moderate trail and lots of road travel with trailer hauling. Unfortunately I was only able to put a few thousand miles on them so far, but they have held up great.
Unread 01-13-2012, 05:52 PM   #11
mattlago
2012 JK Wrangler 

Schoony, feel free to throw your thoughts in on this as well. Any and all info welcome. Glad to hear there is some interest, I will report back on my freeway trip later this weekend.

Side note, I listed my Rubi tires on craigslist and got a huge response. I may end up only paying about $350 for these tires when all is said and done. Thats not bad for 5 35's

2012 JKU RUBI PALE TAN
Unread 01-13-2012, 07:03 PM   #12
DangFoo
I Had Bacon Today

2013 JK Wrangler 

Did the Tech mention any issues in getting them balanced? Forgot to ask above.
DangFoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2012, 07:32 PM   #13
mattlago
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangFoo
Did the Tech mention any issues in getting them balanced? Forgot to ask above.
No issues with balancing at all. However I had seen that issue on other reviews that more weights were added. But I have no bounce sputter or anything. I am noticing (tonight) that they seem to follow grooves in the street a bit more. But again that may be size or tread pattern

2012 JKU RUBI PALE TAN
Unread 01-13-2012, 07:41 PM   #14
dallas01
2009 JK Wrangler 

I have had mine almost 2 years and love them. What I noticed was with the improved grip and traction I go places in 2 wheel drive where it use to take four wheel drive. They are a lot more noisy but look great and feel good. I also felt Treadwright was very good to work with. Good luck.
dallas01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2012, 10:16 PM   #15
mattlago
2012 JK Wrangler 

dallas how do they look with 2 tears on em? pics?

2012 JKU RUBI PALE TAN

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.