Transmission cooler installation question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Transmission cooler installation question

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 03-01-2011, 06:06 PM   #1
herath

Transmission cooler installation question

In installing the B&M Supercooler using the perforated metal strips and bolts,did you drill and place the self-threading metal bolts in the lower radiator support or drill through and use bolts and nuts.Sorry for such a basic question but want to make sure to do this right.

herath is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2011, 08:32 AM   #2
bigmike45
2008 JK Wrangler 

I drilled the holes I needed and used the hardware it came with. It's been on a year now and no problems so far.
bigmike45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2011, 06:49 AM   #3
jdog1065
2010 JK Wrangler 

I know you didn't ask, but I'll offer this up too.......make sure that all your hose clamps are as tight as possible. Mine were not and I was leaking (slowly) trans fluid from the top hose of the new aux cooler. The hose is thick and tough enough that you won't cut it with the hose clamps.

jdog1065 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2011, 07:28 AM   #4
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

The top mts are the most important, so be sure those are solid, then either use the plastic "T" pins, or eeven zipties,at the bottom, because all pressures are horizontal and against the rad-

I bolted the top and used the pins at the bottom-2yrs, no problemo

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2011, 12:31 AM   #5
deerassassin22
2011 JK Wrangler 

^^^^ Does this affect the radiator at all and engine temp with it mounted in this spot?
Cobra 29 CB, 4ft Firestick Antenna, Skid Row Evap Skid, Rockhard Engine Skid, Rockhard Tranny Skid, Mesh Grill Mod, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Front and Rear ARB Diff Covers, Smittybilt Rock Rails, KC 130Watt Long Range Lights, Delta Light Mounts, TorqFlo tranny cooler, Hood Louvers, Drake Hood Pins, AEV Snorkel, Smittybilt 10,000 Winch, Rockhard Shorty Bumper with KC 100watt Slim Light Driving Lights, JKS ACOS Front System, Breather Extensions.
deerassassin22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2011, 07:30 AM   #6
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Nope, no effect on Rad, because-

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerassassin22 View Post
^^^^ Does this affect the radiator at all and engine temp with it mounted in this spot?
The aux cooler is mounted on the face of tha A/C CONDENSER, which is in front of the rad.-

JIMBO
Unread 04-17-2011, 07:19 PM   #7
aztec_doc
2013 JK Wrangler 

Now I heard and is just a rumor or is it fact. Installing an auxiliary radiator will void part of the warranty?
aztec_doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2011, 07:30 PM   #8
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Well, every dealer is act a little, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztec_doc View Post
Now I heard and is just a rumor or is it fact. Installing an auxiliary radiator will void part of the warranty?
If the cooler is installed ina semi-professional manner and the STOCK COOLER is still in the loop-chances are the warranty is still 100% for the tranny, but-

It'll depend on your jeeps uptodate TSB/RECALL adherance and lotta luck from there-

Anyway, you're much safer and better off with the aux cooler and thats what the dealer does anyway-install an aux cooler !!

JIMBO
Unread 04-17-2011, 10:27 PM   #9
aztec_doc
2013 JK Wrangler 

Very well than. New mod on the list and so it grows.
aztec_doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2011, 10:58 PM   #10
deerassassin22
2011 JK Wrangler 

What size should I get I was lookign at getting one with a fan on it as well to help cool it better also.
Cobra 29 CB, 4ft Firestick Antenna, Skid Row Evap Skid, Rockhard Engine Skid, Rockhard Tranny Skid, Mesh Grill Mod, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Front and Rear ARB Diff Covers, Smittybilt Rock Rails, KC 130Watt Long Range Lights, Delta Light Mounts, TorqFlo tranny cooler, Hood Louvers, Drake Hood Pins, AEV Snorkel, Smittybilt 10,000 Winch, Rockhard Shorty Bumper with KC 100watt Slim Light Driving Lights, JKS ACOS Front System, Breather Extensions.
deerassassin22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2011, 04:08 AM   #11
crna
2011 JK Wrangler 

Good question! I was at this same point yesterday. I cut and bent the straps, but then decided to drill new holes and bolt through them. The included self tapping screws just don't exude much confidence for me. The top metal rail has a hole that I can get a combination wrench in, the bottom one I will drill through both side and put the nut on the bottom.
crna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2011, 06:50 AM   #12
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

No, you don't need an additional fan, unless you install your aux cooler AWAY from the radiator-

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerassassin22 View Post
What size should I get I was lookign at getting one with a fan on it as well to help cool it better also.
The rad. is the most logical spot and I have two aux coolers inline and I've cut the stock cooler (warmer) outta the loop-you don't want to do that because that would void the warranty!

Google "JK aux tranny cooler" and you'll see install pics/part# pics, there's a lot of choices and the SMALLEST aux cooler will help our poor deprived auto tranny

Good luck

JIMBO
Unread 04-18-2011, 07:21 AM   #13
djkbooth
2010 JK Wrangler 

For what its worth I used the large truck heavy duty towing one from autozone its right at close to 11"x12" and this is how I mounted mine on flat stock

djkbooth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.