Transmission Cooler - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Transmission Cooler

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 06-23-2012, 07:49 PM   #31
bigapplephx
2009 JK Wrangler 

AUX Transmission Cooler

The early TJs with the 42RLE Transmission had the transmission oil cooling in the radiator.
The JK 42RLE transmission cooling is in the lower portion of the AC condenser, in front of the radiator.
It is my personal belief that the cooling of the transmission oil by the AC condenser is the reason for the transmission hot oil light so many JKs have experienced. You very rarely had trans hot oil in the TJs.
Anyway, in my 09 JKU Rubicon, I installed a Derale finned cooler on the rail in front of the condenser. The 17" long cooler holds 28ozs of trans fluid which aids cooling. It's mounted low so it does not restrict airflow to the radiator/condenser. I measured oil temp with a lazer thermometer at the pan, after a long hot run in AZ (100 plus degrees) the pan temperature was 180degs, oil cooler was 145degs.

bigapplephx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2012, 08:12 PM   #32
Ben_88Jeep
2010 JK Wrangler 

I agree it's the design. I think if anything they should have used the top 2/3rds of the system to cool the transmission... I've altered my system to use the entire cooler since I have no A/C on my Jeep. System works great and because it gets the needed airflow, my transmission remains a lot cooler even under demanding situations.
Ben_88Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2012, 08:20 PM   #33
SoK66
2009 JK Wrangler 

Aside from having insufficient capacity, placed where it is at the bottom of the A/C condenser the pre '12 JK automatics trans cooler gets virtually no air flow. One step above utterly useless.
SoK66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2012, 08:36 PM   #34
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Well, AEV bumper and winch has to come off to get this stupid thing installed, so it is an all weekend job. I dunno when I'll get it done.
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2012, 08:59 PM   #35
ncb

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboarder
Well, AEV bumper and winch has to come off to get this stupid thing installed, so it is an all weekend job. I dunno when I'll get it done.
Can you take the grill of for access instead of pulling the bumper?
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2012, 01:50 AM   #36
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncb View Post
Can you take the grill of for access instead of pulling the bumper?
Can't get the grill off with the bumper & winch in the way, that's why they have to come off.
Unread 06-24-2012, 07:00 AM   #37
ncb

This is good to know. I'm thinking about purchasing this bumper. I thought there was a way to mod the lower portion of the clips on the grill so it could be removed with the bumper in place. I'll see what I can find.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2012, 11:07 AM   #38
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncb View Post
This is good to know. I'm thinking about purchasing this bumper. I thought there was a way to mod the lower portion of the clips on the grill so it could be removed with the bumper in place. I'll see what I can find.
Definitely install a trans cooler and replace stock headlights BEFORE installing this bumper. Also, make sure you get the winch you want before installing it too.
Unread 06-24-2012, 11:36 AM   #39
jrmars07
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboarder View Post
Can't get the grill off with the bumper & winch in the way, that's why they have to come off.
You can... You have to basically bend off the clips and you might scrape the paint of your grill that you cant see anyway... Its a real pain I think it took me 20minutes of pulling and prodding around with a long flat head to pop it off. And then once I had it off I trimmed the bottom clips so it will be easier next time.
Tera Front Lower Controls Arms, Rear Upper Control Arms, Synergy HD Balljoints
Tom Woods 1310 Driveshafts
33" KM2's on ProComp 7069 16x8's
Superchips Flashpaq
AEV Premium Front Bumper, IPF 900XSD Lights, Warn 9.5ti w/ Synthetic Line
AEV Rear Bumper, Tuffy Security Deck
D30 Front Sleeved and Gusseted, RCV's, ARB Locked
4.88 G2 Gears
D44 Rear ARB Locked, Chromoly Shafts[/CENTER]
jrmars07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2012, 05:35 PM   #40
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmars07 View Post
You can... You have to basically bend off the clips and you might scrape the paint of your grill that you cant see anyway... Its a real pain I think it took me 20minutes of pulling and prodding around with a long flat head to pop it off. And then once I had it off I trimmed the bottom clips so it will be easier next time.
It's not a matter of clips - with my winch in the way, there is physically no way to pull the grill out at the bottom. It's got nowhere to go, the winch is in the way.

Can't get the winch off without taking the bumper off.
Unread 07-22-2012, 05:14 PM   #41
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

I have an appointment at the local dealer on Thursday to have installed the Mopar aux trans cooler I bought on-line. They said they would charge me $192 - accounting for the bumper. That's worth it for me, to not have to mess with it.

Looking back at my previous posts, I wrote:

Quote:
Update: So, I called them back with this part number (82212486AB) to see what they would have to say. $300 for the part, $566 with installation. I can get the part for about $266 on-line, shipped - so that means it is $300 to install.
So, I don't know if they're keeping track of what they say, or what, but now I'm getting a savings of about $75 on the install, and I'm still saving about $35 on the part, so I'm about $110 cheaper than I was at the beginning of this thread. So, that's cool.

Now let's just hope they don't come up with some BS reason to increase the price. If not, then my total P&L cost is about $458.
Unread 07-22-2012, 08:43 PM   #42
mrbillbrown
2010 JK Wrangler 

So you called the dealership and said... "I have my Mopar aux cooler in hand, an AEV premium bumper, and a winch (mine happens to be a Warn 9.5ti). How much to remove the bumper/winch, install the cooler, then replace the winch/bumper?" Then they quoted you the $192 out the door price?? I'm dreading putting my cooler on because of that damn bumper/winch combo. I think I'd gladly pay the $200 to have them do it. Just curious how much grief they gave you when you called.
Unread 07-22-2012, 10:44 PM   #43
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbillbrown View Post
So you called the dealership and said... "I have my Mopar aux cooler in hand, an AEV premium bumper, and a winch (mine happens to be a Warn 9.5ti). How much to remove the bumper/winch, install the cooler, then replace the winch/bumper?" Then they quoted you the $192 out the door price??
No.

I was picking up my vehicle from them after a repair, and I asked them how much it would be to install it - pointing out that I already had the part. He quoted me $199. Then I reminded him that I have the bumper, and I wanted him to come out and look at it to be sure - because I didn't want any price increases later - then he looked at it, and told me to send him the PDF for the install. So I did, and he said he would check with the mechanic who would do it - and he did, and then he said they would do it for $195.
Unread 07-27-2012, 04:22 PM   #44
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

So, I dropped it off at the dealer on Thursday around 8AM. Around 1:30PM or so, I got a call from the dealer.

1). Turns out they DO have to take the bumper off, and this is more work than they anticipated, but they are going to stick to the original quote.
2). They need the winch controller (which is at home).
3). Turns out I have a transmission line leak (not part of this install), that is going to cost $300 to fix (P&L).

My response is:

1). Thank you for sticking to the original quote.
2). I'll bring them the winch controller.
3). My Jeep is under warranty.

When I tell the service adviser #3, he says something like, "ooooh, you have warranty. OK, we'll go ahead and fix that then - but Jeep is probably not going to be ready until tomorrow." That's fine - I'm in no hurry.

So, today I go pick it up at noon. I check out, pay my $195 - and before I leave, I ask how long it took to install the aux trans cooler. The answer? FIVE HOURS (including taking the bumper off and putting it back on) - and he clearly was not pleased about it. I am SO glad I spent the money to have them do it! If it took them 5 hours, it would have taken me all weekend. PLUS they noticed the other thing leaking and fixed that (which took time on top of the 5 hours). So, overall, a win for me.

Total cost of P&L for the aux trans install was $476.
Unread 07-27-2012, 04:30 PM   #45
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I would be suspicious as to whether or not there was an actual leak. Could have been a plan to gain some compensation for the extra labor.

Look at all your transmission cooler lines for the following, including the lines at the side of the transmission:

ronjenx is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.