Transmission Cooler - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Transmission Cooler

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-11-2012, 03:07 PM   #1
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Transmission Cooler

Got a quote today from the dealer for the Mopar transmission cooler, installed. Came out to $800 (!!). That includes some a/c condenser thing, which strikes me as rather odd. Anyone know why an a/c condenser thing would be involved in this? Just curious.

At that price, I will undoubtedly go with a 3rd party solution. I've done some web research, but now taking suggestions with complete write-ups for candidates (:

waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2012, 03:27 PM   #2
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

The MOPAR transmission cooler doesn't involve the A/C condenser at all. It installs in front of the condenser.

The kit is about $230 if you can find it at a discount. (Online MOPAR parts dealer. Regular dealer retail is around $280 or so.)
It takes a couple hours if you've never done one before.

Other brands are a lot cheaper. I liked the MOPAR cooler because it's very easy to install without cutting or altering anything. Being a MOPAR part, designed for the JK, it's got to be less apt to cause warranty concerns by the dealer if your JK is still under warranty. In fact, it carries its own 1 year warranty. It won't affect the extended warranty on the stock transmission lines, either.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2012, 03:30 PM   #3
jrmars07
2010 JK Wrangler 

Did this this weekend. 60$ total I think I spent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmars07 View Post
Transmission Cooler Installed
B&M 70268

Pulling off the grill without removing the "old style" AEV Bumper was just as hard as the install of the cooler...

This Guide Made it Easy to Install

Tera Front Lower Controls Arms, Rear Upper Control Arms, Synergy HD Balljoints
Tom Woods 1310 Driveshafts
33" KM2's on ProComp 7069 16x8's
Superchips Flashpaq
AEV Premium Front Bumper, IPF 900XSD Lights, Warn 9.5ti w/ Synthetic Line
AEV Rear Bumper, Tuffy Security Deck
D30 Front Sleeved and Gusseted, RCV's, ARB Locked
4.88 G2 Gears
D44 Rear ARB Locked, Chromoly Shafts[/CENTER]
jrmars07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2012, 03:33 PM   #4
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmars07 View Post
Did this this weekend. 60$ total I think I spent.
That just can't be beat.
Unread 06-11-2012, 03:41 PM   #5
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Yeah, I have the AEV Bumper too - and getting the grill off is ****ing HARD! It's almost worth $800 just so I never have to mess with that again.
Unread 06-11-2012, 03:43 PM   #6
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
The MOPAR transmission cooler doesn't involve the A/C condenser at all. It installs in front of the condenser.

The kit is about $230 if you can find it at a discount. (Online MOPAR parts dealer. Regular dealer retail is around $280 or so.)
It takes a couple hours if you've never done one before.

Other brands are a lot cheaper. I liked the MOPAR cooler because it's very easy to install without cutting or altering anything. Being a MOPAR part, designed for the JK, it's got to be less apt to cause warranty concerns by the dealer if your JK is still under warranty. In fact, it carries its own 1 year warranty. It won't affect the extended warranty on the stock transmission lines, either.
I wonder why the guy told me t comes with some a/c condenser thing. Oh well. Do you have a link to the instructions for the Mopar solution?
Unread 06-11-2012, 04:05 PM   #7
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboarder View Post
Yeah, I have the AEV Bumper too - and getting the grill off is ****ing HARD! It's almost worth $800 just so I never have to mess with that again.
If we were located closer, I'd help you install it for a pizza.

Quote:
I wonder why the guy told me t comes with some a/c condenser thing. Oh well. Do you have a link to the instructions for the Mopar solution?
The parts guy may have misunderstood what you want. The stock cooler is indeed attached to the condenser. If he thinks you are asking about the stock cooler, he is quoting the price/labor on the entire assembly.

PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you a .pdf with the installation instructions for the MOPAR cooler.
Unread 06-11-2012, 04:22 PM   #8
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
If we were located closer, I'd help you install it for a pizza.
You show up in Alaska and install this thing, I'll give you a lot more than a pizza (:

Quote:
PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you a .pdf with the installation instructions for the MOPAR cooler.
That's awesome. Please send to yoapplesucks@yahoo.com (:

Thanks (:
Unread 06-11-2012, 06:59 PM   #9
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
The parts guy may have misunderstood what you want. The stock cooler is indeed attached to the condenser. If he thinks you are asking about the stock cooler, he is quoting the price/labor on the entire assembly..
You were right. I called back to clarify, and he quoted me $309 P&L for a 3rd party one (about $240 more than a DIY job).

When I asked about the Mopar one, he said the only thing that comes up is the full unit with the A/C condenser. I gave him the part number I had (55056635AA) and he said it comes with the A/C condenser and they have to recharger whatever, etc. etc. so it would be $800 installed.

So, now I am really confused. Ron gave me the install manual for this part and it doesn't say ANYTHING about the A/C condenser - but then, it was a different part number too (82212486) - which has a new part number (82212486AB), according to MoparPartsAmerica.com ($256.06 for just the part).

Update: So, I called them back with this part number (82212486AB) to see what they would have to say. $300 for the part, $566 with installation. I can get the part for about $266 on-line, shipped - so that means it is $300 to install.

So, overall, cost to have a dealer install is $240 to $300 more than doing it myself. That's a big difference. Not relishing the prospect of a self-install though.
Unread 06-11-2012, 07:37 PM   #10
michiganmaveric
Got Beer?

2011 JK Wrangler 

I had mine installed at the dealer for a total parts and labor of $466.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time to do it over.

Lifetime member #13

www.militaryjeepers.com lifetime member/airforce26yrs

2011 Tango/Mango JKU
michiganmaveric is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2012, 07:42 PM   #11
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmaveric View Post
I had mine installed at the dealer for a total parts and labor of $466.
Mopar unit, or 3rd party unit?
Unread 06-11-2012, 07:52 PM   #12
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Ron,

Any big reason to get the Mopar unit at 4x the parts cost of a non-Mopar unit? Put another way - I could get the dealer to install a 3rd party unit for the cost of the just the Mopar part. Certainly seems like if I were going to spend $300 - better to get the 3rd party part and make the install someone else's problem.

Alternatively, I could get the 3rd party part and save a boatload too.

Decisions, decisions....
Unread 06-11-2012, 08:25 PM   #13
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Ron,

Any big reason to get the Mopar unit at 4x the parts cost of a non-Mopar unit? Put another way - I could get the dealer to install a 3rd party unit for the cost of the just the Mopar part. Certainly seems like if I were going to spend $300 - better to get the 3rd party part and make the install someone else's problem.

Alternatively, I could get the 3rd party part and save a boatload too.

Decisions, decisions....
There is no reason an aftermarket cooler won't work as well the MOPAR cooler. After all is said and done, they do the same thing.
On mine, I preferred to use the cooler that was deigned to connect to the stock fittings, and mount to the stock radiator frame. I like those features, and they represent added value for me. I will admit, if it were a little more money, I would have gone with a B&M, or some other cooler, and saved some money.

Regarding getting the dealer to install a cooler for you, make sure they give you an estimate on the labor after looking at your situation. It sounds like it will be a time consuming task on your JK.
Unread 06-11-2012, 08:25 PM   #14
joe002
2008 JK Wrangler 

Have you seen the HOT OIL light yet? Do you know the temp of your transmission?
AEV Pintlers, BFG KM2s 35x12.50x17, Bulldog Fab Stubby Bump, Currie F/R Adj Trac Bars, Daystar Upper Dash, FireStik FireFly antenna, Kilby Rear Shock Skids, LoD Sig Stubby Bump, Midland 75-822 CB, Mopar Filler Door & Locking Gas Cap, Rancho LCA Skids, Rancho Oil Pan Armor, Riddler Diff Covers, custom Rubi Sliders, Sylvania X-treme Headlights, TeraFlex 2.5" Spring Lift, Warn PowerPlant HD, Woods Evap Can Relo, Woods SS Relo, Yukon 5.38s
joe002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2012, 08:35 PM   #15
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

My redundant "dual" aux cooler system, including (2) tranny fluid gages, was a little less than $200 bucks--self install and I don't have the TBS that "reflashs" the '08 jku for "Hot Oil"--

My temp stays at 150 F on level freeway and never gets over 210 towing my 1000lb trailer on/off-road, including hills/rocks/snow-

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.