Transmission broken? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Transmission broken?

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 09-28-2013, 09:57 PM   #1
orangera1n
2009 JK Wrangler 

Transmission broken?

So today I was picking up my girlfriend at her house. Now she lives on a bumpy road and I was having fun splashing around and hit a bump kinda hard and afterwards I started hearing a loud buzzing noise like metal vibrating. I just ignored this noise because my jeep makes that noise all the time with the heat shielding. Now after I picked her up me and another jeep buddy headed towards a new offroad spot. However once we got there, the notice turned into a loud grinding noise at around 25mph. I foolishly ignored it again... So we enter the offroad place and there's mud and water about as high as a foot and some areas up to the door line. Everything was okay until all of a sudden I hear this very loud grinding noise them the "hot oil" light came on with a p0218 code. Hot transmission oil. I shut the engine off and waited about 5 mins then turned her back on and turned back towards the exit. I ran into the same error and alarm about 6 times before getting out. Along the way out I heard grinding noises and what sounded like ungreased bolts turning (sorry it's hard to describe). After getting out the noise continued for about 5 miles then going away only to rest urn with a different noise (sounded like a ungreased merry go round). I checked the tranny oil, it's tannish. Any advice?

orangera1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2013, 05:16 AM   #2
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangera1n View Post
Any advice?
Move to where there is a good public transportation network.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2013, 05:41 AM   #3
orangera1n
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
Move to where there is a good public transportation network.
Any real advice on the PROBLEM.
Unread 09-29-2013, 07:17 AM   #4
orangera1n
2009 JK Wrangler 

Follow up:
Took a look this morning. Transmission caked in mud and heat shielding was wrapped around it.
Is the transmission just prone to overheating?
Unread 09-29-2013, 07:43 AM   #5
rirrgang
2007 JK Wrangler 

Caked in mud? Yes, over heating will hapen. It's also prone to failure if you don't heed the warning signs and continue to abuse the JK the way you did. Hope it was worth it?
Unread 09-29-2013, 08:02 AM   #6
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

I haven't got much I can say to mud dubbers, but

Take your water hose and clean the radiator/FAN/tranny/Driveshafts/entire bottom of jeep and stay away from mud-

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2013, 08:03 AM   #7
orangera1n
2009 JK Wrangler 

No when the warning signs came on I shut down the jk and let it cool off. And I did not know how muddy it was till this morning.
Unread 09-29-2013, 08:57 AM   #8
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangera1n
No when the warning signs came on I shut down the jk and let it cool off. And I did not know how muddy it was till this morning.
The correct response to the hot oil warning is to stop driving the vehicle and run the engine at idle or faster, with the transmission in neutral until the message turns off.

Need to keep the overheated ATF flowing or it just sits and bakes.
Jiblet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2013, 10:07 AM   #9
orangera1n
2009 JK Wrangler 

Yeah it's weird though. Never had this issue before and my jeep gets muddy all the time. My friends TJ had no problem where we were at. I just got worried because the noise I was hearing from the bottom of the car and it was too dark and late to check under it. Thinking about adding a aux transmission cooler. Would this help for mud or no?
Unread 09-29-2013, 10:30 AM   #10
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

I don't know how long you've had this '08, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangera1n View Post
Yeah it's weird though. Never had this issue before and my jeep gets muddy all the time. My friends TJ had no problem where we were at. I just got worried because the noise I was hearing from the bottom of the car and it was too dark and late to check under it. Thinking about adding a aux transmission cooler. Would this help for mud or no?
It shoulda hadda aux cooler 5 years ago--because of the auto,cooling design, an aux cooler is REQUIRED FOR EVERYTHING--

google "JK aux cooler"

Good luck

:tea JIMBO:
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2013, 10:44 AM   #11
jabsther
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rirrgang
Caked in mud? Yes, over heating will hapen. It's also prone to failure if you don't heed the warning signs and continue to abuse the JK the way you did. Hope it was worth it?
I think me meant the noise that you kept hearing getting louder was the warning sign not the idiot light/ warning.
jabsther is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2013, 03:44 PM   #12
Ruby_Tuesday
2012 JK Wrangler 

Best advise. Stay out of the mud
Ruby_Tuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 04:15 AM   #13
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

An aux cooler is a great idea for all 07 11s but not sure if it would have made much of a difference in the situation you described above though.

Just a bit of friendly advice, get yourself a good working flashlight (everyone should have one) and carry it in your Jeep at all times. Most likely all of your troubles could have been avoided if you would have just looked under your Jeep when the noise first started.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 04:54 AM   #14
jdhaas3
2008 JK Wrangler 

So is the noise gone now?
jdhaas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 08:14 AM   #15
orangera1n
2009 JK Wrangler 

Yeah I just hard to put the heat shield back on. Mud caused it to fall off (it's just crimped on)

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.