tranny shuddering?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > tranny shuddering??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 08-27-2009, 12:05 AM   #1
Beltfed09
2009 JK Wrangler 

tranny shuddering??

I felt my jeep start to shudder multiple times today.... it only did it when shifting into 5th and or 6th during acceleration... as soon as I put it into one of those gears and let the clutch out it would shudder as if someone was rapidly tapping the brakes for no more than 2 seconds.......... Not extremely concerned as I am under warranty, just wondering if anyone has ran into this before and what it could be

Unread 08-27-2009, 08:01 AM   #2
Jordon83
2009 JK Wrangler 

Has happened to me twice in 6000 miles. It goes away before I have a chance to get it to a dealer so I don't know what it is.
Jordon83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2009, 11:19 AM   #3
Beltfed09
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordon83 View Post
Has happened to me twice in 6000 miles. It goes away before I have a chance to get it to a dealer so I don't know what it is.
yah I dont even have 6000 miles on my jeep yet.... its wierd
Unread 08-27-2009, 11:20 AM   #4
iluvtruenos
2000 WJ 

It usually is some glazing on the clutch, should go away.

Rampant Pack of Retards group president.
2000 WJ, 4.5l, AX15, 242 D60/14b, 5.5" lift front, 7.5" rear. Ford Expedition rear coils, Ram 350 shocks, JKS, IRO Long Arms, cool Badlands flag thingy.
1987 XJ - Gone but not forgotten
iluvtruenos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2009, 11:40 AM   #5
Beltfed09
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvtruenos View Post
It usually is some glazing on the clutch, should go away.
thats a bit disconcerting considering I havent even gone wheeling yet and still have stock tires... hell I havent even put it in 4wd yet
Unread 08-27-2009, 11:45 AM   #6
Jordon83
2009 JK Wrangler 

The first time it happened to me was at about 2,000 miles and it lasted less than a day, second time was at just over 5k and it lasted only a few shifts into 4,5,6 then went away. If you take it to the dealer let us know what they say/do, if mine returns I will try to run it out there just to have it recorded.
Jordon83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2009, 04:47 PM   #7
Beltfed09
2009 JK Wrangler 

yah i have to get the oil changed in about 500 miles, im gonna say something then
Unread 08-27-2009, 06:53 PM   #8
iluvtruenos
2000 WJ 

It's a new clutch, it needs to be broken in.

What happens is the clutch isn't broken in properly and parts of it get glazed up. That's what causes the shuddering. Now, this is from my on-road car days, I don't know if Jeeps have the same problem.

It should go away once the clutch is fully broken in, why doesn't someone that has had this problem before chime in?

Regardless of what it may be, since you guys are under warranty, ask anyway. Also, make sure they note it so if it dies 20 miles after your warranty expires you can be on the record saying that this is a preexisting problem.

2000 WJ, 4.5l, AX15, 242 D60/14b, 5.5" lift front, 7.5" rear. Ford Expedition rear coils, Ram 350 shocks, JKS, IRO Long Arms, cool Badlands flag thingy.
Unread 08-27-2009, 08:19 PM   #9
Voyame
2007 JK Wrangler 

Chiming in...I had a shudder in 1st and Reverse for about a day. It was still fairly new but I don't remember the mileage. Got nearly 30,000 miles on it now. I assumed it was the clutch braking in. I have noticed that if I don't fully engage the clutch between gears before accelerating it doesn't respond. I'm thinking there's something in the computer that keeps the driver from slipping the clutch...just a guess.
Voyame is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2009, 11:46 PM   #10
iluvtruenos
2000 WJ 

Oooh!!!

Evolution Lancers have a "ricer-retard-anti-clutch-dump-switch" that won't allow the clutch to fully "dump" at 8k RPM, but rather slips it so as not to shatter any drivetrain parts.

Does Jeep utilize the same idea?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.